Cinema F-20 build thread

CECAA850

I'm no expert on measurements, but would be glad to come by and run REW in the room. At least it will give you a sense of what effect your room is having on your sound. I use REW and a calibrated mic to take measurements.

Carl, can you send me the link to the AVS build. Just curious as to the response. My two SPUD like tapped horns produce great LF in my HT....I can't imagine what that thing produces.

people tell me NOT to mix this with the THT, but I sure like the form factor it has. I would love to add this to my setup, but don't really want to give up the THT to do it...

Why is that? Different horn lengths? I know you're not supposed to mix direct radiating subs with horns and it's not ideal to mix TH's with FLH's but I wouldn't see a problem using 2 FLH's together, which they both are.

Not sure... I'd have to dig that up. I'd love it if it worked out.

Thank you for the link. Reading through it now, but notice that it rolls off just below 20Hz in the published measurements. I dug up my tapped horn build resusts and the SPUD clone doesn't roll off until about 15Hz. I wonder if that is driver dependant or is due to the cabinet design.

How low do you expect the sub to reach?

this box was built and modeled around a specific driver that had very distinct power, xmax, and excursion limits and so it was tuned to 20hz to maintain loud but safe operation. that driver is NLA, however the driver I am using is a happy accident in that it seems to work just as well in the enclosure, with very similar characteristics. Solid output down to 20hz is all i need, so this particular build and driver fit my vision and budget. obviously, if you need 15hz or lower, there are different or better builds to suit that

i was originally contemplating a SVS pc-13 ultra in order to get that subsonic performance down to 16hz or so. For a quarter of the cost and a slightly larger footprint i'm getting the 'meat' of my LFE channel and missing out on only a bit without having to wait a year or more to scrape together an SVS budget (as stated previously, i have "new" old house renovations, new baby coming in march, and so on).

I believe the tune of the horn is 20Hz. It will go lower, but distortion starts to really go up. The amp that Michael is going to use has a selectable high pass filter that cam be set to 20Hz. As with any sub, in room extension is better than ground plane. I'll bet he gets solid performance in room to 17 or 18 Hz.

Thank you for the link. Reading through it now, but notice that it rolls off just below 20Hz in the published measurements. I dug up my tapped horn build resusts and the SPUD clone doesn't roll off until about 15Hz. I wonder if that is driver dependant or is due to the cabinet design.

I'd think the major difference would be box configuration. TH's normally go a little lower than FLH's but some say FLH's play a little cleaner. That's just my recollection, please don't ask me to dig up links[;)].

I believe the tune of the horn is 20Hz. It will go lower, but distortion starts to really go up. The amp that Michael is going to use has a selectable high pass filter that cam be set to 20Hz. As with any sub, in room extension is better than ground plane. I'll bet he gets solid performance in room to 17 or 18 Hz.

even if i don't, it will be far better than what my RF-5's put out on their own.

I am looking forward to the sound impressions once you guys fire it up. In comparing my previous SVS to my tapped horn subs, there is absolutely no comparrison. The DIY TH subs play way louder and have much more impact in my room than did my SVS. Over the years I have found the DIY route is not only more financially viable, the products are vastly more satisfying and sound as good or better than my previous subs.

Your build should rock your room in a major way.

i was originally contemplating a SVS pc-13 ultra in order to get that subsonic performance down to 16hz or so. For a quarter of the cost and a slightly larger footprint i'm getting the 'meat' of my LFE channel and missing out on only a bit without having to wait a year or more to scrape together an SVS budget (as stated previously, i have "new" old house renovations, new baby coming in march, and so on).

Oh, expect more than that!

I never had an upper-end expensive ported powered sub, but did have a Hsu STF-3. My Tuba HT is not only much louder but it is much much cleaner. The bass coming out of it is similar to that of my Klipschorns. I can set them to small and can't tell the diffence in bass quality. Expect the same from the F-20.

this box was built and modeled around a specific driver that had very distinct power, xmax, and excursion limits and so it was tuned to 20hz to maintain loud but safe operation. that driver is NLA, however the driver I am using is a happy accident in that it seems to work just as well in the enclosure, with very similar characteristics

Seemed to me that AVS thread (and it's been several months since I read it) indicated one could be fairly flexible with the driver. At least a couple, including a Dayton, were mentioned.

I don't suppose that necessarily means they work WELL. [:P]

Dave

Seemed to me that AVS thread (and it's been several months since I read it) indicated one could be fairly flexible with the driver. At least a couple, including a Dayton, were mentioned.

I don't suppose that necessarily means they work WELL. Stick out tongue

Dave

I believe Mike modeled this driver and works just as well as the original (discontinued) driver with more power handling.