Cinema F-20 build thread

CECAA850

Time to make the wires,

Your connections look great, but this is one area that always winds my chain when I'm making up wires like this; you would think that there would be better quality crimp connectors out there, but I've never been able to find them.

The problem isn't the connector, it's the tool. You need one of these. The jaws are 3/8" thick. You literally would have to rip the wires to get the connector apart. If you need to replace the connector for any reason, you have to cut it off.

I ordered a set yesterday after searching again for connectors that I liked. That sub is freaking big! My Spud isn't looking too large anymore. Great build and story about helping others that you barely know.

it's also cool to see the reaction when I tell people that I've only met Carl once before, and that he lives 6 hours away. The concept that he'd do this for me and that I'd trust him enough with my investment boggles their minds.

or that Don would invite me over for a couple hours to enjoy his system as I play sherpa with speakers that he picked up for Carl.

a testament, in my opinion, to the type of community atmosphere klipsch and this forum try to foster.

Micheal, Let me know when you get into your system. I would love to have a listen !

Micheal, Let me know when you get into your system. I would love to have a listen !

I'm thinking 5 minutes after he gets home.

it'll be about 10pm by the time i get home. I may get it hooked up, but I doubt I'll be able to run Audyssey and put it through some testing until Sunday. However, when I brought the RF-5's home I had them hooked up and blasting movies/music until around 1am and that's when I had actual neighbors - so we'll see.

A successful hand off was made and Michael is on his way back to Dallas. It's nice to have another music head around that doesn't mind you going from system to system and sit patiently while you blast the tunes. I appreciate Michael humoring me as I went through my paces. Too bad he couldn't have stayed longer but he has a long trip back home. I also appreciate Michael pack muling my KTP-100's down for me. I'm sure I'll have another "what are THOSE speakers??? moment when my wife discovers them. Such is life.

I expect a full write up once it gets run through it's paces Michael.........................

Carl

sat the wife down this morning before work, pushed the sub gain up to 1/2 way, and skipped to the pod race scene in star wars episode 1.

"it's like a movie theater" she said, "but better!". She still seems a bit wary about the size - but that will fade once it get final finish and our eyes adjust to the monolith simply existing in the space. It's a beast, heavy as sh** (due to the mdf), but solid solid solid. It barely vibrates, but doors and walls table top items rattle like crazy. Even at 20ft away and minimal power allocation, the seats shake. i'm going to have to buy a ton of weather stripping or gasketing tape to tighten up all of the doors - that's a fantastic problem to have. :)

I had initially thought I would have the sub fire into the corner, but it just soundy boomy and muddy. flipped it around and things are much better - but the access panel and wiring are visible - no fault of Carl's, it was a choice he had me make early on and I made an assumption. I'l find an aesthetically pleasing solution, just something to remember as you plan/build this thing and how you think it might be oriented in the room.

So far so good[Y].

I believe your favorite sub to date was the 3 sided Reference sub. How does this one compare?

Did you calibrate with a meter or your receivers mic? I found that when trying to calibrate that sub by ear, I'd have it WAY too hot due to how clean the bass was.

Glad the prelim was positive. I take it made the trip unscathed?

calibration was done with just the audyssey mic since any sort of tweaking capability/best performance options I have right now are all internalized to the AVR. So far, I've gotten the sub gain down to 1/4 and i still end up with a trim level of -7 for the sub. It's definitely a hot rod.

made the trip just fine. the mouth didn't bow, and the excess of straps kept the cabinet itself from bouncing around. i was a little worried about the driver after the 5 hours of bumpy texas highways, but nothing seems to be loose or rattling. i had a horrible sensation of fear when i first fired it up - there was a big rattle/buzz, but it turned out to be the AV closet door and knob. whew.

even when it's thumping out bass, you hardly feel it on the exterior sides of the cabinet ..no rattling, very little vibration (which i attribute to the excellent bracing, denser mdf, and the big rubber feet). Absolutely no sub crawl.

compared to an RT-10d? i want to reserve my impressions until i have put the same amount of effort into calibration and integration - but so far there is no comparison whatsoever. (with the RT-10d losing)

Glad it made it OK and it's living up to your expectations. I really hadn't given any thought to the driver getting loose. It's bolted in better than most subs in a permanently mounted automotive application. Tried it with music yet?

Now I get to pester you till you get it finished.[:P]