Cinema F-20 build thread

CECAA850

Time to make the wires,

Your connections look great, but this is one area that always winds my chain when I'm making up wires like this; you would think that there would be better quality crimp connectors out there, but I've never been able to find them.

OK, OK, time for a listen. The first thing I did is play with some sine waves. There's tons of output at 20 Hz. It'll wave the hair on your arm if you put it in the mouth of the horn, pretty cool. Next I wanted to listen to some music. I alternated between the F-20 and my bass bins. For comparison purposes, I was pitting a 15" driver being pushed by a 240 watt plate amp against two 18" drivers being fed 750 watts apiece. To level the playing field, I level matched the two systems with an SPL meter before listening. I was really impressed at the efficiency of the horn, especially considering the fact that I was giving it less than optimal wattage. There's no question that the horn played cleaner with less overhang than the ported subs. The horn would also play lower due to the tune of the horn (20 Hz) vs the tune of the big ported boxes (I think it was around 30 Hz). The direct radiators were a little punchier but that's to be expected. Overall, the F-20 held it's own which was impressive considering how much I handicapped it. Two 18's vs one 15, 1500 watts vs 240 watts. It's definitely an amazingly efficient design.

A few final build notes, I could detect no discernable leaks, for which I'm grateful. The anal retentive side of me went ahead and bondo'd the top left corner as I could feel a little bit of a seam there, couldn't stand it. You won't see or feel it after it's painted I ended up going over the whole box with some 180 grit after all was said and done. It's got a real smooth, almost glassy feel to it now.

I appreciate Michael entrusting me with building this for him, I had a blast.

Carl

post-15193-1381968827655_thumb.jpg

Time to make the wires,

Your connections look great, but this is one area that always winds my chain when I'm making up wires like this; you would think that there would be better quality crimp connectors out there, but I've never been able to find them.

The problem isn't the connector, it's the tool. You need one of these. The jaws are 3/8" thick. You literally would have to rip the wires to get the connector apart. If you need to replace the connector for any reason, you have to cut it off.

post-15193-13819688282744_thumb.jpg

I appreciate Michael entrusting me with building this for him, I had a blast.

Carl

ha, it's been just as much fun talking this project up on facebook and watching the jealous husbands fawn over the idea of a 5ft sub, while their wives scoff with sour faces.

i'll be coming home saturday night, calibrating and tweaking sunday morning, and premiering Tron: Legacy for some new friends on sunday evening. :D

In a few weeks I'll be painting the sub itself. Since it's inside, i think i'm going with a bedliner product from rustoleum - not a favorite for actual outside truck solutions, but it has a very even and fine texture to it that will integrate well into a house without screaming "industrial".

Final results, as well as pictures of it integrated into the final home will of course be posted.

it's also cool to see the reaction when I tell people that I've only met Carl once before, and that he lives 6 hours away. The concept that he'd do this for me and that I'd trust him enough with my investment boggles their minds.

or that Don would invite me over for a couple hours to enjoy his system as I play sherpa with speakers that he picked up for Carl.

a testament, in my opinion, to the type of community atmosphere klipsch and this forum try to foster.

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous

Where can you get plans for this? I purchased the Tuba plans. (i havent got around to that yet). i like this build. I've seen a few builds like this.

I followed PSG's Tuba build, and he had fantastic results. It needs a large footprint for this. Maybe a coffee table tuba is in order?

I was also reading a Tapped sub build, which was really high, but has a small footprint.

This seems to be in between. trade off on height, and footprint.

Awesome build. Nice job. cant wait to see the "finished" product. [Y]