Fine Food and Music

Boxx

Picked up a pound (or so) of really nice mussels today.

I'm thinking a butter - garlic - basil - white wine reduction and served over some manner of pasta.

The last time I had decent mussels I tried them in a red sauce and I wasn't very impressed.

HMMM...

I hope I remember to take pictures.

JHoak here is a link to a recipe for Mussels Meuniere: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/mussels-meuniere-recipe/index.html

I use classic recipe from The Joy of Cooking, but this is very close. It is a summer staple around my place, especially when there are a lot of mouths to feed. I put a little oil in the pan to prevent the butter from burning, saute a vidalia onion & garlic, toss in some red pepper flakes & a bay leaf or 2. Then pour in some white wine, bring to a boil & add the mussels. It is a easy recipe to ramp up, I use 1 stick of butter & 1 bottle of white to 10lbs of mussels. I usually do this as an appetizer with some good bread but you could easily pour it over pasta. Try it, I think you will like it.

Great Rd... However, we never saw the finished dish and plated for viewing ?? We are waiting with baited eyes Smile

........Gary

Ah just saw this. Was this in regards to the tarragon chicken? If so, I was under the weather that night and made baked potato soup in the slow cooker. I do have pics of that, in the process as well as plated if you'd like me to share =)

Hey there Jhoak, since it has been a day, how did your mussel dish turn out ??

The mussels turned out quite well but the dinner took an unexpected turn.

I have a good friend who is deeply concerned about my health (it's a long story) and several times a week calls to ask what I'm eating that night. That particular day I tell her mussels and pasta and she replies "Sound's good. I'll bring the rest and be there in an hour".

As it turned out the meal was mussels in a basil, white wine, butter, and garlic reduction served over linguini. A salad of spring greens, red onions, fresh tomatoes (from her garden), sliced black olives and shaved parmesan. Dressed with XVOO, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and black pepper. Also included was a couple of nice fresh baguettes and a bottle (or maybe two) of chianti.

Desert was the one of the two only completely original recipes I've ever dreamed up (which she LOVES) and cappuccinos.

There are no pictures. She thinks (for reasons I don't understand) that taking pictures of food and the process is (in her words) "profoundly wierd". Since she paid for the bulk of the meal I yielded to her wishes and left the camera in its case. Sorry...

It was all quite good though.

So everyone has their tried and true versions on how they cook the perfect burger. What is y'alls?

1 pound or so of 80/20 hamburger or lean ground chuck.

In the meat combine a tablespoon of kosher salt, a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, A teaspoon of dried oregano, a teaspoon of dried basil, a quarter teaspoon of dried pepper flakes (optional) and a tablespoon of shredded parmesan cheese. The stuff in the green can is OK here.

Divide the burger in to 8 equal portions and shape in to VERY thin patties about 6" in diameter.

On 4 of the patties place a few pieces of chopped up pepperoni, a few pieces of corsely chopped onion, and a generous tablespoon of shredded mozzarella. Dust lightly with some parmasean and if so inclined a few red pepper flakes. Place the other 4 patties on top and seal the edges well.

Drop them in a wicked hot skillet (cast iron is best) and sear well on both sides.

In the mean time toast 4 buns lightly buttering and dusting with garlic salt. While this is happening take some good pizza sauce and heat it up in a small sauce pan.

To finish take the now well cooked burgers, place one on a toasted bottom bun and top with a tablespoon of the now hot pizza sauce and some mozzarella cheese.

You're now enjoying the "Pizza Ali" pizza burger that I grew up on.

It don't get no better...

Ok everyone....................been a while, but here goes....

First off, let me say that I am TOTALLY NEW to grilling......... This evening will be my first ever grilling of fresh Flounder. The other first will be my first time EVER steaming fresh organic Butternut squash!, yes, that right, have owned a steamer insert for my 8" sauce pan that has never been used until tonight. Sunday, October 14, 2012............to be remembered [:)]

Ok, lets start off with a photo of the Flounder shall we ?

Shown here with a bit of XVOO to sit in for a bit...

post-23544-13819802661458_thumb.jpg

This fine wine LEFTOVER from our dinner OUT on Friday evening.........from the corp. restaurant "Carabas"...........very good... It was $35, and we brought home the unused half bottle to enjoy this evening.... [:)]

post-23544-13819802679606_thumb.jpg

Moving on to the NOSH segment..............here we have a variety of olives from Greece and Italy, garlic cloves and hot red chiles along with grape leaves wrapped around a rice and herb mixture... Yep, there is some 'string cheese' present for the first time...............we have many gourmet cheeses, but we decided to try something a bit simpler instead...

post-23544-13819802682936_thumb.jpg