Fine Food and Music

Boxx

Finally, our VINO selection for this dish................next time, a fine WHITE perhaps?

Hope you enjoyed the 'skewered scallop' dish this evening.........my very first attempt at this, and a good success for a first try [;)]

Stay tuned for other foodie adventures...................and lets see some of YOUR dishes as well, from START to FINISH plating on your table..

Until next time, hope this inspires you to take on NEW cooking adventures...

..........Gary

post-23544-13819800782982_thumb.jpg

Great photo's (and dinner) Gary! It's good to see a posting in this thread again.

I use a very similar basket for cooking seafood. It is so very handy for working with delicate items that go on the grill.

Also, a very interesting vino for the evening. I'm sure it complimented the meal.

• Moderators

Stay tuned for other foodie adventures...................and lets see some of YOUR dishes as well, from START to FINISH plating on your table..

Very nice as always.

You do a really nice job...............[Y].................which makes it very intimidating to follow......[:$].....PLEASE take that as a complement, that's how it's meant, don't stop now.

Quick and easy pasta for the single guy. I did this ahead of MNF the other night

We start by sweating a smallish chopped green pepper and about a half a chopped white onion in some XVOO along with a healthy pinch of kosher salt.

Posted Image

Once the onion and pepper have softened a bit in goes a teaspoon of minced garlic (right out of the jar) and a palmfull of oregano.

Posted Image

Give that a few more minutes over low heat and then toss in a couple of Italian sausage links that have been cut in to around 3/4" slices. and give them a few minutes to brown up.

Posted Image

In to the pool goes a big jar of your favorite red sauce. Ragu was on sale this week BOGO so being single, unemployed and cheap it was today's choice.

Posted Image

Move the pan over to the left side burner because it has much "finer" heat control and let simmer for a while.

Posted Image

An hour or so later it's time to dig out the ancient Calphalon pasta pot. In goes a gallon of water and a couple of tablespoons of kosher salt. It takes a bit to come to a boil.

Posted Image

I didn't want to subject my camera to the steam produced by boiling spaghetti so there are no photos of that process.

And just a few minutes later the "single guy" is rewarded with a big bowl of spaghetti and red sauce with Italian sausage. A generous dusting of shredded parmesan reggiano and let the gluttony begin.

Posted Image

No pictures of the "place setting" or the "wine". Truth is the place setting was at my coffee table in front of the TV and the wine was a bottle or two (or more) of whatever beer was on sale this week. Beck's I think.

With a belly full of pasta, Italian sausage and beer sleep came early and very VERY sound. [|-)]

Of course I doubt that you would have wanted to be around me the next day. [:$]

OK guys... How about a bit of a "teaser"? I just finished building a big-pot-o-chili. It's sort of a new recipe for me so I'm still "adjusting" it. Your basic Texas Red. Meat, sauce, and spices. Not much else. Oh... It does have the better part of a 22 oz bottle of Arrogant B@$t@rd Ale poured in for good measure.

Chili-10.jpg

I did photograph the process and I'll put up more pictures and tasting notes once I get to enjoy a big bowl of it. Probably tomorrow.

NO BEANS! Good man.

Sorry but my futzing with pictures horked up my original post. I've now reloaded them and I'll start from the beginnging.

First up is 2 pounds of nice ground round browning up.

Posted Image

While the hamburger is browning I took a few minutes to slice 2 pounds of stew beef in to smallish chunks. While I was slicing I removed most of the fat and all of the non-yummy bits.

Posted Image

Here's the stuff destined for the Crock-Pot getting warm while the meat browns.

Posted Image

All of the meat is it the pan becoming brown and yummy good. Also in there are a couple of healthy pinches of kosher salt.

Posted Image

Here we have a medium to small yellow onion just dying to be disected

Posted Image

And on to Page # 2

One yellow onion coarsely disassembled:

Posted Image

The spice mix. Garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, chili powder, Carol Shelby's chili spice mix, cocoa powder, and whatever else sounded good to me at the time.

Posted Image

Browning up nicely with the chopped onions in place.

Posted Image

In the mean time the "wet" stuff is patiently warming up and waiting for the "star of the show" to show up.

Posted Image

The spice mix has been added to the browned meat. Good color. My kitchen is beginning to smell really REALLY good at this point.

Posted Image

Page 3 already? Go figure.

The meat, onion, and spice mix has gone in to the pool as it were so it's time to deglaze the skillet with a splash of the Ale. It'd be a shame to let those yummy brown bits go to waste.

Posted Image

Everybody in to the pool for a nice long slow cook.

Posted Image

Some 8 hours later this is what I got to enjoy. Normally with a big-tub-o-chiii I'd cook up a big skillet of jalapeno cornbread. I'm a dottering old dumb@$$ and failed to buy the ingredients need for the cornbread. A couple of slices of frozen Texas Toast will have to do. The beer is pretty good though

Posted Image

Sorry but no fancy place settings or big buck dinner ware or fine wine here. I'm a pretty "basic" kinda guy. Gimme a decent bowl of chili and a couple of good beers and I sleep like a baby that night.

OK... there's an expression that I just don't "get". When my son was a baby the little SOB would NOT sleep through the night. EVER. What am I missing here?

Thanks so much Jhoak for your dinner photos !!! It is funny, things have been very quiet around here for months. I am glad that I was able to put something up and get you and others subscribed here 'energized' to add their creative dishes once again [Y] Hats off !!

I got tonight's dinner in photos ready to upload and download.......... Stay tuned !

.........Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few posts I need to make, I have pictures of them all, my homemade enchiladas (which were a pain in the butt cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker), jalapeno poppers (I do them three ways, just cream cheese and bacon, cream cheese, shrimp and wrapped in bacon, or cream cheese, shrimp, chicken, wrapped and bacon and of course basted with BBQ sauce), and a special jambalaya I came up with. The pics are taken with my android though, and since I just got it, still trying to figure out how to get the pics to my Mac ha.

Do you really believe that you're going to get your Droid and your Mac to play nice together. Oh... You are so SO deluded. You realize of course that they're "mortal" enemies. Right?

OK... Just kidding... You can get photos off of an Android phone to load in to a Mac. I've done it. Connect the phone to the Mac with the USB cable. It should see it as an external drive. From there drill down to the photos or images folder and drag them from there wherever you want to store them on the Mac.

And I of course have to add...

Posted Image