Ever get hassled for paying with cash?

mungkiman

Earlier today, I was told that the two $20 bills I was trying to pay with were counterfeit! This surprised me, since I had received them from an ATM, but I guess anything is possible... The clerk was using one of those pens that somehow determines whether or not the paper is genuine, and the marks left by the pen (black) didn't fade. I was slightly amused, but he was incredulous... "I have never seen counterfeit bills this good! They have the water mark, security strip, color changing ink, and everything!". He swiped the bills again with the pen. Still black... "Where did you get these? They feel right, smell right, and look exactly right! These are amazing!". That's when I told him that he'd been using a Sharpie... True story. He was confused at first, and embarrassed, but then we shared the biggest laugh I've had in a while.

I can't recall anyone using one of the "verification" pens on a $20 but pretty much always on $50s and $100s.

I still find it a little odd when the clerk wherever holds the bill up to the light looking for the security strip.

Many years ago when I worked at Radio Shack I had a fellow come in and VERY quickly pick out a top of the line stereo system. I wrote it all up and gave him his total. He pulled a wad of cash out of his pocket and peeled off the total. I looked the bills, then at him, and said "you're kidding right? These are just terrible". He scooped up the bills and headed for the door. He was later that day arrested at another local store for passing counterfeit currency.

No. I usually get a better deal on things when I pay with cash. I just bought two pairs of Klipsch reference speakers, the RF7 and RF5 for a good deal with paying cash. There is nothing better to hold on the cash. Those credit card, debit card and check payments are too much hassle.

In a different lifetime, I was in retail and taking a payment. The person paying asked if we accepted cash as he/she handed over "X" dollars... for the $100 purchase. (meaning this was not anything large)

Without losing stride (since I did this to anyone who asked) I said "sure, I just need two forms of identification"

Usually, the person would stop.... think.... and seeing my smile, laugh.

This time, they actually started rooting around their wallet for said identification...

I stopped them and we got a nice chuckle out of it.

No, So far she hasn't complained.... LOL...

If you need to engage that "service" with a Visa card, then you have truly "arrived" in the modern world. If so, go ahead and ask for a "frequent flyer" discount? Devil

I like to use my cash back card. That way I can see how much money I'm "making".

Coytee, i frequently do the reverse of that, even at Starbucks or the market getting lunch. The clerk will announce the total and i will say: "Is it okay of I pay with cash? I have ID." Even though I have a smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye, I am surprised how one-half of the clerks look at me and say "huh?"

I love the Visa ads where they tried to convince people that paying with plastic is more convenient and will yield less "bad looks" than paying with cash. I guess if you are getting 3-4% on every transaction than it's worth it to convince people of this - even though it's always the sloooooooow process of cards used in menial transactions that get the "looks" in real life.

Guess that's why they call it a "commercial".....