Looking for advice on vintage turntables

lg69hydros

Budget? Listening tastes? Direct Drive or Belt? Moving Magnet or coil? Carbon arm, fiber arm, aluminum arm? High compliance, low compliance? New? used? Stand mounted or wall mounted or suspended from the ceiling? Massive platter or regular platter. Suspended suspension or solid suspension?

Get the drift yet?

Going back, or getting into analogue, is not like buying a tie.

It's an adventure, fraught with perils but do it right, in the end you get the blonde.

Or Blondie if you like her.

Welcome aboard. Hope you are capable of writing more than one sentence. [:D]

Why vintage? Do you have prior experience with turn tables? If not then vintage is probably not the best idea. Used may be OK but vintage?

I second oldtimer..... Get yourself a nice modern used table ..... Not sure what your budget is, but remember ESPECIALLY with khorns, that the front of the chain is where you get the most out of your system. K horns as you know are super reveling and you want a quite quite, stable, table that can dig out all the info on your vinyl.

true a thornes TD 124 is an awesome table, but you will spend a lot of money restoring and tweaking it... then there is the arm, cart..... $$$$$$ My next project will likely be one but I know it will cost me a ton to bring it up to a great level

as far as arms go the Rega 250 is an amazing entry level arm... as is a nice rega 3 table combo.... The VPI scout ( about $1100 used) can stand toe to toe with tables 2 to 3 times the price....

Again I have know idea what your budget is, but you have a really nice system, so if you don't want to be disappointed by vinyl get something inline with the rest of your system...... Ive heard great TT/arm/cart.... powered by a cheep reciever, sound ten times better than a crappy TT through a amazing all tube high end system.... Especially with khorns.... I know I have tried many combos...

I now have my sisters Thorens with a Rega Arm and my Rega planar 3. Both have the Garrot bros P77 cartridge. They are both from the 80's. The Rega is set up and the Thorens is in a cardboard box. Recently the Rega Planar 3 was brought back into production by popular demand but with a few upgrades and bright designer colours. It makes a big difference to have this standard of TT with my LaScala as would be the case with the Khorns. The Khorns will be all revealing around the quality of your associated equipment. Originally, The Rega was $1,000 and the Thorens table alternative was $1,200.

Thank you..yes im looking for something that will go with what i have..not high high end but its good stuff..in my mond i was looking for something from the mid 70's tothe 80's which is when i last was really into everything..now im trying to buy things from then...so there are a few here recomending thorens..1000 is within a good budget for me

for sure..last time bought a TT was in 1978..was a techniques.

Quite honestly ..... I have $3500 budget for when I restore a thorens TD 124. Now that's for a really good arm and custom plinth but I doubt you can get into a good working 124 for under 2k. There are other thorens models from the 70s that you could look at that would do an excellent job such as the td160 if modded. Should be 1k. AR-es1 the turntable and a Linn LP-12 are excellent vintage tables as long as the sub chassis, moters, springs, subplaters, are modded and modernized.

Vinylnirvana.com. Does an excellent job anday have several modded vintage tables in your price range.

a Dual 1019 was their top of the line 70's era TUrntable and has a nice following and would be more of a starter table to get you feet wet.

but as others and myself have pointed out a Rega planner 3 with RB- 250 arm is under your budget and will far outperform these vintage jobs at the same price point.

what i have found locally, and actually from the place i got some of my other pieces is a Thorens td318..has a grado black cartridge.. I sent him some other questions but no reply yet..480$ cleaned and serviced..so thats well under my 1K budget but he thought a good place to start..im looking at your other suggestions as well//the 318 is local here in my city and one owner.

vintage:

TMA_VICTROLA2C_800.JPG

[:]

Brunswick with that nifty 3-way reproducer that many own but few can figure out how to use properly.

Seriously though, lots of good stuff out there and at a reasonable price. Look for manual and semi auto tables with belt drive. If you get a newer table like Pro-ject you can get a bit more support from your dealer. Just avoid those trashy USB and cheap DJ models. You can spend a fortune on a vintage table and get something the doesn't even play well, like those heavy idler drive transcription tables. They're built for severe daily duty in radio stations and not for hifi.

Technics SL1200 various incarnations comes to mind. Many fans her, and some detractors. Can't give a solid opinion since I've never heard one, but do a search on the forum and you will turn up tons of info.

The good part is they made them forever so never a problem with parts or repairs. The better variants like the MK5 (?) can be had for five or six bills, leaving you money for the most important part, the cart. Preamps with a phono section will handle moving magnet carts and high output moving coils. Low output moving coils usually will require a step-up transformer.

Make sure you spend good money on a cart. Rule number for analogue in my book.

Technics SL1200 various incarnations comes to mind.

I got two SL1200MkII tables for under $400. The were in a DJ coffin, but in good shape. I sold one for $350 and a cheap mixer for $50. Still need to get a cart and get it set up, but everything is functioning ok on it. My friend who bought the other one loves his.

Bruce

Quite honestly ..... I have $3500 budget for when I restore a thorens TD 124. Now that's for a really good arm and custom plinth but I doubt you can get into a good working 124 for under 2k.

Fender,

That's exactly what I have in mine, and it is definitely the cat's meow! Mine was restored by Jean Nantais, who is famous for the Lenco thread on Audiogon.The plinth is a work of art.

I am looking at the Lyra Helicon as we speak, and wondering if it would sound better than my Zu modified DL-103R.They are both very good matches for the SME IV tonarm. I know you had this cart on your Scout previously.

Mike

post-6388-13819689815686_thumb.jpg

Quite honestly ..... I have $3500 budget for when I restore a thorens TD 124. Now that's for a really good arm and custom plinth but I doubt you can get into a good working 124 for under 2k.

Fender,

That's exactly what I have in mine, and it is definitely the cat's meow! Mine was restored by Jean Nantais, who is famous for the Lenco thread on Audiogon.The plinth is a work of art.

I am looking at the Lyra Helicon as we speak, and wondering if it would sound better than my Zu modified DL-103R.They are both very good matches for the SME IV tonarm. I know you had this cart on your Scout previously.

Mike

hey Mike. Stop making me droollllllll!!!!!! I love your table and have never heard it!! That is exactly what I want to do finances permitting.

the newer helicon is a dream!!!! The older one is a bit thin and the have really improved it.... Probably a great match