Foam Surrounds for Advents

Utard

I have a pair of Advent Legacy's from 1988 that need a foam job.

I can not seem to find any exact replacements.

Every photo I see for these are wrong. They look like the Klipsch one's.

I even ordered some from a place that said they are for my speakers and they are not right.

The ones I need are different than the usual ones.

Anyone have any idea's on where to find these?

Here is a pic for ref.

post-52415-1381969016268_thumb.jpg

BTW, why don't you tell us where and what you found to be no good so that people don't just duplicate your good efforts. Smile.

WMcD

I assume you are refering to the ones I got that where wrong? Every place I looked had the same wrong photo of the product but said it was for my speaker. I even verified the model # and size and brand. So I just ordered the cheapest one (even though the same photo was a stock type photo for a few different models/brands) and toke a chance. And I got what was in the photo and it was not the right one.

What I really want is an exact replacement instead of a generic replacement.

Are you a member at audiokarma.org? If not you need to become one.

There are a LOT of Advent fans there. I'm certain that the group there could hook you up with the correct surrounds.

Good luck!!!

I will check them out. Thanks.

• Moderators

Did that to my Advents twice so far, they just don't last very long at all. Gave them to my son-in-law so when the rot off again he will probably ask me to fix them, again. ?

It's really easy to do, much easier than I thought it would be. It was Baby Advents and all that really mattered was the size of the cone and dust cover.

• Moderators

What I really want is an exact replacement instead of a generic replacement

It really does not matter, the exact replacement sucks, it's no better than the generic, they both rot away at the same speed, which is FAST. [:o] It would be nice to replace them with a surround like Klipsch uses, they last.

• Moderators

Its not a matter of how long they will last. The originals where good for 23 years.

Its the look.

The originals look different than regular surrounds.

Ok, didn't think of it that way .[Y] Mine did not even come close to 23 years, I was on my second set of foam by then, but the kits were cheap to refoam, and it was a nice little set of speakers so I didn't have a problem doing it.

Try THESE guys. I've used their kits and also had them do work for me. Highly recomended.

I second the recommendation. Also, if possible, try not to be too much of a tard about the look, unless you are doing it for a museum piece and not for the sound.

I can't believe that came from someone from this site:)

I guess my biggest concern is that because it is a different surround would a generic one work the same? Would it affect the sound?

I've never measured before and after but for me they always sound like the original after a refoam. Of course they sounded like crap when the foam was torn, so I've gone from memory. I've actually used their kit on an Advent outdoor speaker that's still in use today. i can't remember how many years ago I refoamed it.

I can't hold on to this any longer....

On Craigslist in my area is a guy sellg a pair of Baby Advent II's for (I think) $30. But here's the kicker, he said the surrounds were toast so he took out the woofers and put in a pair of 4-ohm car speakers.

And he wonders why their not selling.

• Moderators

That's weird that's what I paid for the ones I had.

Walked in to Sears one day for something and they were on a table in the aisle with other things. Asked the Mgr and he told me someone bought them last week for their car but they brought them back because they didn't have enough bass. He told me $30, I hurried up to buy them before he changed his mind.

Gave them to a son in law a few years ago.