my FAVORITE 2 way speaker (pics)

t-man

I will start by saying that I believe the KG 3.2 is one of the most under-appreciated Klipsch speaker I've had the pleasure of owning. When I purchased my first pair of Klipsch speakers in college back in '92, I had to scrape up all the money I could to bring home my lovely pair of KG 2.2s. They suited me fine for about 8 months, but they didn't have all the "oomph" I needed. I was able to trade up at the local HiFi store into some KG 3.2s. NOW, that was what I needed. A set of these in a typical 8x10 college room was magical. I had all sorts of room partys, dragged them out into the hallway, blasted them hard, beat them hard, and they always delievered without failure. They followed me to my first home, where eventually, upgraditis set it and I had to let them go.

Fast forward to today - I found a local pair listed in CL. I certainly don't need any more damn speakers, but these were listed as Walnut. I've never seen a pair of Walnut KG 3.2 - I figure they must be fairly rare. No condition was stated, so I figured they were beat up 20 year old speakers. Turns out, they were kept in a cabinet for 20 years by the original owner who never moved them! Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the condition. They are beautiful. I took them home and hooked them up after giving them a cleaning. Instant magic! These things truly sing exactly like I remember 20 years ago. I've tried KG4s and Heresy IIs, and these smaller 3.2s are much better sounding IMO. Lots of bass! Smooth, not overly bright. I believe these are truly fantastic little 2 ways, and highly versatile. I think they would work/look great on 17" stands as well.

Enjoy the pics.

P1020334-043.jpg

P1020300-009.jpg

P1020308-017.jpg

P1020312-021.jpg

Now I'm curious to hear these little gems! I just picked up a nice pair of RB-5 ll's off CL last week for my office system. Right now they are dueling with the Paradigm Studio 20's I had in there. Pretty fun going back and forth. So after reading your review, if I find a pair locally for a good price I might ****** them up and give them a try. They could possibly replace these office speakers if they are as smooth as you describe!

Those are beauties.

Forum member Clermontcop absolutely loves his 3.2's and said he would die with them. He has liquidated many a Klipsch speaker(Khorns, Cornwalls, Chorus, Heresy's) but the 3.2's have remained his "go to" speakers. His pair does have Crites custom networks and the titanium diaphragms. They really are the sleepers in the Klipsch line.

Bill

Have they encouraged you have some more roucous parties?

I'm game, but only if I can play the same music (I have, but it ain't pretty) and drink the same amount of beer (I can't) as back in my fraternity days. Part of my pre-finals ritual was to sit back in my couch and blast these as loud as I could stand for 10-15 minutes prior to going to take a test. It worked well to clear my head a bit and relax me. Of course, the post test ritual was the same (:

Better or worse than your 4.5? I also had 5.5s - I think the 3.2s are more laid back and less fatiguing to me than the 5.5s, but the 5.5s are bass king and much more efficient. When I upgraded from 3.2s to the 5.5s way back in the day I was surprised that the difference wasn't as great as I anticipated. The only time I heard a pair of 4.2s was also in college and my breath was taken away. Big Head Todd was cranking out some Bittersweet, and I simply couldn't get enough of those sweet sounding speakers. I had to make due with my 3.2s at the time, but I was still happy. Especially since they were so easy to move. I think I moved those speakers no less than 9-12 times while I owned them - never caused any moving damage either! They are a nice compact size for what they can accomplish - the Mighty Midget Klipsch!

The Studio 20's are NO joke - do the RB's really keep up?

The Studio 20's are really nice - I plan to do a nice review with a few friends over real soon. They are very close though IMO.

I am looking forward to that review. I auditioned the Studio 20s and was very impressed. I have never heard the RBs by themselves on a good setup. I am very curious how they compare.