Don't Laugh! (How Best to Augment a Heresy I Set)

dprendergast

Good morning all.

I am new to this forum. Found it while searching on "Klipsch Heresy" and would like to gather some expert and/or informed opinions on my audio setup. I was fortunate this past week to be able to buy a pair of Heresy speakers in what looks like great condition for $150. I believe these are the Heresy I model. S/N on the right speaker is 102U523, which makes it a 1980 product, yes? Code 'HBR', which I understand means these are birch cabinet, originally unfinished. The left speaker no longer has a tag on it, but I'm guessing it is either matched or same vintage, as it looks identical to its tagged partner.

I'm going to try to post a picture with this message so that you can see what I have. Here is my question:

What is the next thing I should do to improve my setup at the lowest possible cost?

Here is what I have:

Klipsch Heresy I speakers (1980)

AudioTechnica AT-LP60 turntable with ATN3600DLX stylus upgrade

Sony CMT-EX1 (compact component system) amplifier (40W)

Posted Image

I can imagine that a mostly concrete basement is not the ideal place for this, but this is where I work! Maybe someday I'll be able to put this in a better room, but this is it for now. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music - mostly classical, but also pop, rock, jazz, swing and big band.

I do have a pair of low-level aluminum (tilted) stands that I got with the speakers, but haven't tried those, as I already had the tables you see for my old bookshelf speakers that came with the Sony.

Needless to say, the improvement in sound from the speaker change was a revelation. I don't want to spend much money on all of this, and I am way past the point of wanting to do (or even understand) the details of speaker enhancements (internals). But I see comments on these forums about adding a sub-woofer. Or perhaps I should find someone in the Chicago forum to inspect and possibly do some tweaks to the speakers?

A further testimony to the efficiency of these speakers is that I was able right away to drop the volume on the Sony by a few notches.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

- David

David,

Welcome to the forum.

Those Heresys are very nice and for the price, excellent performance/cost ratio.

You don't have to spend much $$$ to get those babies singing a beautiful tune.

I have a very nice Denon PMA-757/TU-767 setup that will do wonders to those speakers. I was going to suggest something from your local c-list for you to look at but since I will be selling the Denons why not just suggest them.

This is not my photo but my PMA-757 looks just like it.

876112.jpg

PM me if interested and we will discuss price.

NeeleSteele here on the forum got a taste of the Denons with my Heresys and could not believe how tight and fast the bass was.

Bill

I bought a pair of HBRs new in 1980 and recently did an upgrade for the first time. I replaced the original capacitors with Sonicaps and replaced the original tweeters with CT-125 tweeters. I made the upgrade to just one at first and compared the sound of it to the unmodifed one and there was a very noticable improvement. Apparently the capacitors degrade with age, especially after 30+ years. I bought the parts from http://www.critesspeakers.com/

The caps are cheap at $8.48 each times 4. The tweeters were about $80 each. You should at least replace the capacitors.

Regarding other components to augment your system, a good subwoofer does wonders because the Heresy 1's bass drops off at about 60 Hz.

David,

Welcome to the forums! Great buy on the Heresy speakers. They are indeed the original series, and you should see the serial numbers are also stamped on the back edge of the tops. The numbers should be visible in the edge of the ply, so a missing label doesn't mean much.

Bruce

Hi David and Welcome to the Klipsch Forum. We're glad you're here! [<:o)]

The first thing I would do is invest in some longer speaker wires and spread those babies farther apart. Then, I would do as Gary suggests, update those old capacitors. The difference will be amazing.

Since you are on a tight budget, try moving them (with your longer speaker wires[;)]) into the corners of the room for some bass reinforcement. That may be enough to allow you to enjoy them as is, while you save up for a good subwoofer.

Keep us posted and enjoy,

Dennie

• Moderators

The first thing I would do is invest in some longer speaker wires and spread those babies farther apart. Then, I would do as Gary suggests, update those old capacitors. The difference will be amazing.

[Y]

Also putting them back on the floor will help the bass.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

The speaker wires that I got with these were actually already a decent length. And I had the two aluminum floor props that either came with them or were made specifically to fit. So I put them on the floor (the stands tilt them back about 5-10 degrees). Now they are spread out so the distance from center to center is about 10 feet.

Both of these things have made an audible difference - there is even more discreteness in the sound and more punch in the bottom.

It sounds like the capacitors are the next step?

- David

P.S. Bruce - I looked at the back edge of the top panel on each speaker and of course you are right - the S/N is there. And it is identical on both speakers.

the S/N is there. And it is identical on both speakers.

They shouldn't be exactly the same, but maybe one digit different. [;)]

Yes, new caps could make a big difference. If you find the midrange to be a bit too forward, or 'in your face', there is a fairly simple mod you can do that many find provides a better tonal balance. I'll find the link to the page.

Bruce

Firsty off welcome to the board your gonna love it here. That is a sweet deal! I have the second series and felt that the caps and xovers were needing to be replaced. If your like me and not that good in soldering give ole Bob a call he has great products and his customer service is second to none.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Welcome to the forum, sounds like everyone has this issue covered. A couple of things that could help is some insulation to absorb echos but on the other hand you can get in depth with this idea so we'll leave it alone for now. Sounds like you have some metal risers if you don't like the look when you go to Crites website look at Heresy risers they're made out of wood and are a great replica of the original risers made for Heresies.

Time to have some fun

Duder

Installed the new crossovers this morning. Wow. My "reference" is a 10-inch Capitol recording of Frank Sinatra called "Swing Easy". The first (of 8) tracks is "Just One of Those Things." These speakers seem perfectly matched to this kind of music. They are great with everything, but absolute perfection with swing.

Installed the new crossovers this morning. Wow. My "reference" is a 10-inch Capitol recording of Frank Sinatra called "Swing Easy". The first (of 8) tracks is "Just One of Those Things." These speakers seem perfectly matched to this kind of music. They are great with everything, but absolute perfection with swing.

Yeah baby!

Congratulations, you got a great deal!

I'd suggest putting down a carpet remnant or area rug and some drapes or something on the walls to tame the concrete room.

Would also replace the little sony unit for something better. Then i'd think about the caps.