Computer Speakers

CIGARBUM

I posted this in the Computer but didn't get any response.

So I will try here. Here's the situation, I have an IMac computer, I had a set of Boston Acoustics speakers and sub woofer, well they gave up and died, about 13 years old.

Does anyone have some good ideas about what I can use? I guess I could just buy a new pair of speakers and sub to go with the computer, or I certainally have enough stuff around the house to put something together that would make some pretty good sound, good for a computer anyway. The only issue I have is that not a whole bunch of space to put everything. The sub is not an issue as it can go under the desk, but space is limited for the speakers.

Got an good ideas.

Cigarbum

If you are interested in buying new, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system might be what you're looking for: (LINKY) I own Klipsch's Promedia 5.1 Ultra system which they've since discontinued and I love mine. If you don't want new, you may be able to find a used 5.1 Ultra for sale on the web someplace, too. There are now so many alternative out there relative to PC speaker setups. And, as you mentioned, you might actually have just what you need already. Best of luck! -Glenn

What model of iMac do you have? I was quite surprised at the listenable quality that comes out of the newer iMacs with the aluminum shell. OTOH, if you want more of a desktop playback system, plug in something else.

I have some JBL Control 25s for my desktop at home, powered by an old Onkyo given to me by a co-worker.

I can switch between the Windows PC and older iMac on my desk easily with the Onkyo inputs.

Bruce

post-7149-13819691694832_thumb.jpg

Marvel, I believe it is a newer model, I only have had it about a year. With the Boston speakers it sounded respectable, I don't want to get real fancy, just decent sound. The simplest I guess is get one of the Klipsch 2.1 multimedia, there is a bunch of them on ebake. The only place to plug the whole mess in is a headphone jack on the back.

Thanks

Cigarbum

CB,

The jack on the back will work with headphones or line level, plus it is a connection for optical out, if you wanted to plug into an optical input DAC or something like that. I can understand going simple. The Klipsch 2.1 systems should sound great!

Bruce

Many years ago when I first moved in with my (then girlfriend - now wife) I bought a set of the 2.1's go with my desktop computer. This was before I was able to bring my stereo system into the house.

After listening to the 2.1's as loud and clear as I played them, I told myself I gotta get the rest of the system over here!!

Needless to say, as close as the 2.1's were to my ears compared to the size of the stereo I had stored somewhere else, the experience was very similar.

Speakers are speakers. I have two computers whose "computer speakers" are full range floor standing. On my office desktop system, which is predominantly work oriented, I use much smaller ones. However, they are certainly not "computer" speakers. Typically, what one wants for a system that isn't predominantly music oriented is efficiency and size. Vintage Fraziers, such as Midgets or even Monte Carlos are excellent, as are a number of small Klipsch current models and others.

One outstanding amp/DAC is this Topping. The headphone output can be operated without muting the amp...handy if you want to run a sub.

Dave

post-9494-13819691867904_thumb.jpg

Auzentech is good stuff. Digital has been around long enough, believe it or not, for there to be classics. DC'd in 2007 might not be very old for an amplifier, but in digital terms it's a 50s classic!

But what is uber cool is that, just like vintage amps, turntables, CD players, tuners, etc, if they sounded great when you bought them...they still do.

I've a Card Deluxe I purchased in 2002 at it sounds absolutely awesome! OTOH, you can get the same sound, maybe better, now for 350.00 or so less.

Gotta love it.

Like a lot of ol' fahrts, I tend to yecch about a lot of new things, but this isn't one of them!

OTOH, I DO recall when there was no such phrase as "dropped call." [:D]

Dave

PS - To clarify my comments on "computer speaker," it was entirely musing in its intent and is certainly as good a descriptor as any. Absolutely no criticism intended. I guess it is just that it's so often used for speakers you wouldn't dream of using anywhere else, but still do because it's "traditional' now. When I saw it, my first thought was "Hmmm....are there turntable loudspeakers, tuner loudspeakers, CD loudspeakers?

Speakers are speakers. I have two computers whose "computer speakers" are full range floor standing. On my office desktop system, which is predominantly work oriented, I use much smaller ones. However, they are certainly not "computer" speakers. Typically, what one wants for a system that isn't predominantly music oriented is efficiency and size. Vintage Fraziers, such as Midgets or even Monte Carlos are excellent, as are a number of small Klipsch current models and others.

One outstanding amp/DAC is this Topping. The headphone output can be operated without muting the amp...handy if you want to run a sub.

Dave

This looks nice. Only drawback that I see is that it is 16/48. If they made it go up to 24/96 this woudl be a great interface if the DAC's are decent.

This looks nice. Only drawback that I see is that it is 16/48. If they made it go up to 24/96 this woudl be a great interface if the DAC's are decent.

Adequate if CD is your source, and bear in mind the DAC is just gravy on this price for a fine amp for low power apps.

Dave