KLF-30's

ChipByrd

Hey,

I am relatively new to Klipschamania, but tomorrow I am going to audition and pick up a pair of mahogony KLF-30's. I have read a couple posts about a defect in some of them. On another site someone warned about a loose motor board or back board. Can someone give me some advice. Is this a real problem? How do I identify it? Thanks. If it is ok, I will post some pictures--assuming I get them. Thanks, Chip.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoop Whoop Whoop! (That's the KL-signal broadcasting out to Moray, he'll be here momentarily). LOL, just in fun Moray.

I do not know that the 30's also had the loose boards problem, but I'm not really up on all the details.

Here is Moray's thread, it had all the details of what you're asking about.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783

Congratulations on a great speaker find and so glad that they are your cup of tea. You mentioned the 20/20 being a little warmer and relaxed. Buy a set of Bob Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms for $60.00 They will be light years ahead of the poly tweeter diaphragms in the KLF, the poly are black shiney very soft and very poor diaphragmes the Ti are stunning. If you like the sound of the Ti tweeter diaphragms you can imagine what the Ti mid diaphragms from Klipsch will sound like. There is much else that you can do for these fine speaker the diaphragms are a great start. I hope that this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Hey Kerry glad you like the speakers. I knew they would blow your mind. They looked great in your room.

Now you are starting to realize what all of us Klipsch fanatics have been talking about all these years.

Klipsch just plain and simply rocks and sounds excellent doing so.[Y]

I am struggling with mine. Perhaps my listening area is too small. I am not getting much clarity and detail. I have moved them around the room to several locations. I may try the upgrades Mr Morey suggested. It made all the difference with my Chorus.

Chipbyrd,

try the diaphrams from crites!

Are you using the supplied floor spikes? If not, that would help a lot!(your photo's don't show them)

Hope someone with longer experience with this speaker can help you get these right for you. I know they have so much to offer.These speakers were sold to me by Randy (above post ) and are simply magic. They are a later 2001 model, not sure if anything was changed on these through the years or not.

Richard: given that a pair of 12's will push about 40% more air than a single 15 and considering that the KLF30 is tuned to 36 Hz and a Cornwall ll is tuned to 3db down of 38 Hz. these two speaker systems will compare very closely extension wise and the KLF30 should easily produce more bass weight with the added volume. The KLF don't have the trade mark hump of the Cornwall but they do play a little deeper and they do push considerably more air. I think that the biggest difference is the sound of the 12 inch woofer Vs the 15. I have KLF20 and Forte and Fore ll and they sound quite different from one another. What do you think accounts for the differency that you hear? Best regards Moray James.

PS: welcome to the greatest klipsch site on the planet.