Questions about Florida: Considering a move

Music Luva

I am at a point in my life where I'm considering starting over. Single and no kids. I've had a great career in IT, but I'm tired of working for someone else. I've got unfulfilled dreams and it's time to do something about it.

I'm considering Florida for several reasons. My health is a big one. Currently residing in Kentucky, I have allergies that affect me 3 - 6 months a year. I also have Degenerative Disc Disease with Sciata. I need a year round warm weather environment to help both. I also prefer an environment with large bodies of water nearby (50 miles or so).

I prefer small communities, 5,000 - 25,000, with larger communities within 50 miles.

I realize for some people this is not the time to consider a move, but in many business models this is the time to secure prime opportunities and, frankly, I've done everything I want in my career and I'm ready for the next stage of my life.

Most of my business ideas are entertainment oriented but I will have several eggs in my basket.

I would like to open a dialogue with any members in Florida. I was hoping to get information from different areas of the state. And discover the demographics respective to each. I understand Florida has some unique problems and demographics. But looking into the future, I would like to know what "I don't know".

For example, the housing market appears depressed. But what are the "gotcha's" for an out of state purchaser? (hidden or inflated real estate taxes or interest considerations). I've trolled several real estate sites. And I've seen a glut of housing in <$60K range. But pictures can hide details such as crime or other depressing factors in the area.

There is no state income tax, but what is the offset? (higher sales tax, etc)

What smaller communities have the strongest economic recovery and growth potentials?

And while I know hurricanes are a fact of life, not every region is as prone to experiencing them.

I've been looking at the North Central area. Other areas that pique my interest are St. Augustine, Fort Meyers and St. Petersburg. I like a slower paced lifestyle and area. I like small towns and somewhat knowing the people in the area.

Also are there any particular critters I should be aware of? I have heard fire ants and scorpions (native to most of North America). Yes, I know about gators, but how common are they in residential/rural areas?

I'm not trying to be a noob or goof, but I would appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I am planning a trip to "tour" some areas of interest in the coming months. I would hope that trip to be a "weeding out" trip that could help me narrow choices to 1 or 2.

Please feel free to PM me with conversations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In my research in trying to find a town in Oregon that would be a good place to live I found this site.

http://www.city-data.com/

Go to Florida and pick the town size. Less than 1000, 1000 to 6000 or more than 6000.

There is more information than necessary on this site.

Info about crime, housing costs, weather, education, industries and so much more.

By using this I have found the perfect town that I want to move to.

Now I just need to figure out how to make it happen.

Not sure if it is true but I remember somebody talking about how areas with low humidity are good for allergys?

There is some nice places in Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.

m considering Florida for several reasons.

I am sure one of them is to join the "elite" Florida Klipsch Forum.[;)] Okay maybe not "elite" more like "unique"(quirky).[:P]

I've been looking at the North Central area. Other areas that pique my interest are St. Augustine, Fort Meyers and St. Petersburg.

Good choices but you may want to add Atlantic Beach(North Jax Beach) to your choices. My sister and her husband have been living there for over 12 years and they absolutely love it. It is a small beach community with most everything either within walking distance or 10 minute drive.

I am planning a trip to "tour" some areas of interest in the coming months

Give me a heads up when you know your tour plans and maybe we can meet up. Maybe even a Florida Forum get together at Mike L's place in Oveido.(Mike are you listening?).

Bill

Might also get in touch with Marshall (GLA51) in Okeechobee. I visited there and it would be high on my list...but then I am a lover of small, quiet towns and that's just what it is.

Anyway, as a retired county mounty, Marshall knows all about that area.

Dave

You have allergies and you're considering Florida? I don't understand the logic there. I lived in Daytona for 6 years and my allergies regularly kicked my butt. It's semi tropical there and there's always something in bloom. There's also a very short dormant season for plants as the weather is so mild.

You have allergies and you're considering Florida? I don't understand the logic there.

I thought the same. I'd take a look at El Paso. Great place to live that almost nobody knows about yet. I lived there 3 years and really got to love it. Low crime rate (said to be due to low levels of natural lithium in the water), low cost of living and home ownership, and marvelous climate if you love the desert.

Also, as we used to say, 800 miles of Gulf beachfront.

Dave

Sciatica? Maybe some dry heat would help with arthritis but not so much if you're dealing with a pinched nerve.

I wasn't mentioning Sciatica in a confused correlation to arthtritis. I mentioned it because for me, it improves in warm weather climates. Warm environments promote more outdoor activity. Considering my nerve issues are complications from sitting too much (office work), I want a warm environment to promote more outdoors activities year round.

But thanks for the information.

You have allergies and you're considering Florida? I don't understand the logic there. I lived in Daytona for 6 years and my allergies regularly kicked my butt. It's semi tropical there and there's always something in bloom. There's also a very short dormant season for plants as the weather is so mild.

Well this is one of the many reasons I am posting. I realize that weather and climate in certain geographical regions tend to be the same. But there are anomolies. That's one of the reasons I have been wondering about Northern Florida.

I have experienced tropical environments and, yes, my allergies ruined an otherwise nice Hawaiian vacation. But I also realize that Northern Florida has had winter like weather from time to time (orange crops freezing, etc). So, it made me wonder if the entire state had identical weather patterns or there were areas that did not have typical tropical climates.

Florida is not the only state on my list. But information is power. And before I invest money in traveling to research areas, I would like to find out as much as possible beforehand.

I went to Texas 2 times in the past 2 years. I honestly can say Dallas and Houston do not impress me. I also went to San Antonio in '98 and went to the Gulf during the trip. Unfortunately, choppy waters and unseasonably cold weather (per the locals) didn't leave me wanting more. But San Antonio is a nice city to visit. Wouldn't want to live there.

Florida may not be for me, but I won't know until I ask.

You have allergies and you're considering Florida? I don't understand the logic there.

I thought the same. I'd take a look at El Paso. Great place to live that almost nobody knows about yet. I lived there 3 years and really got to love it. Low crime rate (said to be due to low levels of natural lithium in the water), low cost of living and home ownership, and marvelous climate if you love the desert.

Also, as we used to say, 800 miles of Gulf beachfront.

Dave

I will look into El Paso. I enjoyed the climate when I was in Texas on 3 previuos trips. But I didn't get enough exposure to the smaller communities. Visiting Houston, Dallas and San Antonio for various reasons didn't give me a fair look at places I would consider living. Big cities, in general, leave me with a bad taste. I like a more laid back life with less stress. But having large cities nearby offers a nice change of pace.

Thanks for the tip on El Paso. I might PM later in my search.

I am sure one of them is to join the "elite" Florida Klipsch Forum.Wink Okay maybe not "elite" more like "unique"(quirky).Stick out tongue

How did you guess?! In all honesty, the forums have made me find a recharged love for a hobby I used to adore. It was some of my dealings and communications from Klipsch lovers and members on this board, you in particular, that I was thinking about over the past few days.

I thought "I'd be a fool not to use the forums as a resource in my search".

Good choices but you may want to add Atlantic Beach(North Jax Beach) to your choices. My sister and her husband have been living there for over 12 years and they absolutely love it. It is a small beach community with most everything either within walking distance or 10 minute drive.

Noted. Sounds cozy. I like cozy. :)

Give me a heads up when you know your tour plans and maybe we can meet up. Maybe even a Florida Forum get together at Mike L's place in Oveido.(Mike are you listening?).

Bill

Sounds superb. I'll keep you informed when I start to make plans.

Sciatica? Maybe some dry heat would help with arthritis but not so much if you're dealing with a pinched nerve.

I wasn't mentioning Sciatica in a confused correlation to arthtritis. I mentioned it because for me, it improves in warm weather climates. Warm environments promote more outdoor activity. Considering my nerve issues are complications from sitting too much (office work), I want a warm environment to promote more outdoors activities year round.

Sounds like you'd benefit from a core strength exercise routine. Some outdoor activities will not improve your problem. Talk with your doc and ask for a physical therapy referral. Get them to help you formulate a set of exercises you can do indoors, in any state, that will help stabilize your lower spine. Hopefully exercise will help.

Sounds like you'd benefit from a core strength exercise routine. Some outdoor activities will not improve your problem. Talk with your doc and ask for a physical therapy referral. Get them to help you formulate a set of exercises you can do indoors, in any state, that will help stabilize your lower spine. Hopefully exercise will help.

Will do. Was gonna setup a doc checkup anyhoot. I'll put it on the list.

I hate cities.

If you want low cost, near to city, great place to live you might look at TorC, NM. Close to El Paso at 4300 feet or so altitude so the climate is hard to beat, and with Elephant Butte Lake right handy as well as winter ski areas. Magnificent area.

Pretty close to same altitude and El Paso distance at even lower cost would be Fabens or Van Horn.

El Paso itself isn't all that huge and was still pretty laid back last time I was through there.

Dave

You can always pick a nice climate to live and take allergy shots. I took shots for 4 years. It was the single most quality of life improvement I've ever done. I don't have to mow the yard with two handkerchiefs in my pockets any more.

Well this is one of the many reasons I am posting. I realize that weather and climate in certain geographical regions tend to be the same. But there are anomolies. That's one of the reasons I have been wondering about Northern Florida.

I have experienced tropical environments and, yes, my allergies ruined an otherwise nice Hawaiian vacation. But I also realize that Northern Florida has had winter like weather from time to time (orange crops freezing, etc). So, it made me wonder if the entire state had identical weather patterns or there were areas that did not have typical tropical climates.

Florida is not the only state on my list. But information is power. And before I invest money in traveling to research areas, I would like to find out as much as possible beforehand.

I went to Texas 2 times in the past 2 years. I honestly can say Dallas and Houston do not impress me. I also went to San Antonio in '98 and went to the Gulf during the trip. Unfortunately, choppy waters and unseasonably cold weather (per the locals) didn't leave me wanting more. But San Antonio is a nice city to visit. Wouldn't want to live there.

Florida may not be for me, but I won't know until I ask.

Panama City Beach may suite you well. We have the most beautiful beaches in the world. You can take a dip in the water for the most part during the winter.

You can always pick a nice climate to live and take allergy shots. I took shots for 4 years. It was the single most quality of life improvement I've ever done. I don't have to mow the yard with two handkerchiefs in my pockets any more.

Carl, the proof of your cure is that you live in Beaumont and aren't writing from a hospital on oxygen! [:P]

Seabrook is SO much better...[bs]

Dave

Amen to that!

I used to LIVE with a box of tissues (or roll of TP) in the car, another next to the bed, another at the office and I STILL kept a pocket full of tissues. I was miserable.

I was stung by a wasp & had a bad reaction. 4 hours later at the emergency room, I left with my wind pipes fully operational. Because my house is 15 miles out of town, another episode like that could have been nasty so what to do?

I looked into allergy shots for the stinging SOB's and figured, while doing that, may as well knock off cats & pollin & pine trees and the like.

For me, it was a 5 year regemine of weekly shots AND once a month, I had to go in again for the sting shots so that specific week I was there twice during the month.

I finally graduated & the Doc said I was but a few people who were so dilligent to only miss 2-3 appointments in the total 5 years. I would not have missed those had I not been out of the country.

Regardless... today, I might blow my nose once every three months (not that anyone cares [+o(]) verses almost non-stop prior to my shots. For me it was a huge success. I am not kidding when I say almost non-stop.

I'm in Jacksonville and my experience so far here is, I hate the water (I'm on a well in TN). This water here is blechhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That said, I DO love the fact that I'm within 2-3 miles of Lowes, grocery, gas, Dr's, shoppes..... just in the thick of it. In TN, if you ran out of milk it was a 15 mile one way drive into town so this is a real culture shock being in the middle of things.

I have found the people I work with and anyone I've met to be very nice. What I find really positive about that statement (and I do not intend for this to sound racist or anything negative) but I find EVERYONE I've met to be very nice.... this includes ALL races of folks to date. It really seems like this area is a "let's just smile & get along with everyone" kind of area and I like that.

Perhaps I had a couple too many friends in TN that were rednecks.....

I'm listening. [:)] I definitely plan on a get-together this summer.

waaz_up,

I was in your shoes 11 years ago. I was 42 at the time, same job for 20 years, same townhouse for 14 years, still single and not dating. I wasn't a big fan of change then, but knew I needed to do something. My family (4 sisters and my mom) started to move to central Florida in the early 90's and were all relocated by the late 90's. I would come down every winter over the holidays, and couldn't believe that I could play golf in shorts when there was a foot of snow on the ground where I lived (northern VA).

When I visited over the winter of 2000 I made up my mind to just do it. I haven't looked back since. I have a new career, new house, and a new girlfriend. Life has never been better, even though the economy has been unstable. I play golf and drive my Corvette all year round. In VA, the Vette would be under a cover from November to March. Life is good my friend. I say just do it!

Mike