OK you youngsters out there

USNRET

I am a few years from being twice your age limit.

A "crying room" at an in-door theater?

"Private Room" I was refering to what we called crying rooms at the local indoor movies. There were 2 rooms, one smoking and one non-smoking, with a glass wall facing the screen. Folks would take their kids there if the kiddos started crying or otherwise making noise.

But then again, this was in the south during segregation where "blacks" had to occupy the balconey of the theater. IIRC, cost to get in the theater was 25 cents but balconey cost was 75 cents!

I do remember that they were very efficient. John Wayne's voice always came through perfectly.

They sounded even better if you placed them in a corner in your auto.

The volume control, as one member would say, was "top notch."

I have a lot of fond memories of the drive-in--I'm 56. My friends and I use to go almost every weekend in the summer. We had 6-8 of them around town. There's still one about 25 minutes south of the city. I really thought the FM transmitting idea would save them. Came too late I guess. I used to sneak 3-4 people in in the trunk of my Plymouth Fury. Once when they were charging by the car we got 11 people into a friend's VW bug. I was manning the shifter from the middle up front. I still pity the guy that was above the back seat under the window.