Next investment???

Scrappydue

Scrappy,

If you are looking for a Pre/Pro to go with seperate amps, the 5508 is one of the best ones out there, at any price. It has a feature list and build quality that will rival ANY processor on the market. There are several very good Pre/Pro's out there but for the money and quality, the Onkyo is very very hard to beat.

It has seven HDMI IN and two OUT (a feature that I was particularily looking for), 9.2 pre-outs and weighs in at 31 pounds. That's a lot of weight for having NO amplifiers in it. I spent the better part of six months researching Pre/Pro's and finally made the decision to purchase the 5508, a couple of months ago. I have never looked back...! It replaced a Sany STR DA5300ES, if that tells you anything, as the Sony is a great AVR. Since I got the new 70" Sharp, the Sony will find duty in another system. The audio side is better than the Sony and the Video is superb. It also has the latest version of Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 I could go on with this list for a couple of pages. It is driving five Quicksilver Monobloc tube amps and two SAE SS amps. I just can not find any cons orflaws with it.

I am very pleased with mine.

But I am contemplating another sub or maybe the onkyo pr-sc5508. Any thoughts??

Well, you do have a great sub, a great receiver, and a great 2-channel amp.

If you buy another sub, all you have to spring for is another sub.

If you buy the PR-SC5508, you must also buy a 3-channel or 5-channel amp. In the long run, I think the pre-pro and amps is the way to go between the two choices. You could sell the 805 for around $400.00 (+/-) and recoupe some $$$ toward your purchases. I am sure the 805 might be hard to let go with it's almost legendary status and reputation for having a great amp section and very good build quality, overbuilt for it's price point. As good as the 805 is, it still does not have the amps of good seperates or the boatload of up to date features and Multi EQ XT32 of a modern flagship pre-pro.

On the other hand, dual SVS PB13 Ultras would be awesome.[Y]

Take my opinion with a grain of salt only, I have a mid 2000's NAD receiver(flagship model) with no on board EQ and running two subs. However, that NAD sounds fantastic as well as the subs.

Bill

So, as you all can see I have a great subwoofer and a pretty good receiver too. But I am contemplating another sub or maybe the onkyo pr-sc5508. Any thoughts??

Wow, everything is top notch already... Will you really tell a difference with a new receiver or pre-pro? I dunno... Need fancier room EQ?

As for the sub... Are you driving it close to its limits?

If you are itching to spend 3K$ (5508 + extra amplification), consider dropping a huge AT screen in front of the Kuro and projecting 120 inches on movie night. That would be a real plus to the overall experience.

I would go sub for sure. When I added the 2nd svs

it went from wow to WOW. I have 3 subs

in my room but that 2nd svs sub (x2 pb12-plus dsp) was a monster

upgrade.

You didn’t add tv as an option but size on the display

(bigger and bigger) gives a huge bump in the movie experience.

My 70” still isn’t big enough to keep up with everything

else in the room.

else in the room.

Which is why I suggested the projector and screen. [:P]

I use my epson 8500ub to project 100 inch screen and my seating area is about 10-11 feet away. I thought about selling it for a while because I would like to use my room with the lights on at times and you can't do that with a projector. Then I actually got some free time and watched 2 movies a couple weeks back. After watching TV on my 65 inch TV then going to the projector again I was super happy. I had forgotten how sweet my projector setup is and how much it adds to the "Movie" experience. I imediatley ordered a wall mount, 30 feet of HDMI and a drop down screen. I decided to keep my projector. I'll still mount a TV on the wall and just use the drop down on movie nights. If you have the means to add projection to the mix I would do it. You won't regret it.

As much as I want to add a projector I have to old off till I am out of the military and move to a permanent home. I think I have decided for my other amp and some sort of rack. Might make one might buy one. Anyone have any good leads on nice racks for a nice price besides DIY. I am gonna hold off for the other sub and processor for now. Need more room and found out my audio stand is waaaaay over weight limit.

else in the room.

Which is why I suggested the projector and screen. Stick out tongue

Lol I’m really close already. Please don’t temp me anymore

(you to Jason lol). When I got the 70 at first it was awesome but now it’s even

worse because I can see what it would look like if it was 100 or bigger.

You don’t really see it with a 52” (what I had before)