Need a new receiver

roaddog359

• Moderators

Ok, Youthman and other UMC-1 owners. Here is a question for you. In the manual it says that you should connect the sub with the xlr balanced cables if you have the option. Did any of you do that? Pros and cons?

I believe I have one sub hooked up using XLR and the other with RCA. No difference really. Sometimes the balanced (XLR) cables will help reduce signal interferance (hum) but typically it is for long runs. If I remember correctly, one of the two (XLR and RCA) has a higher signal. In other words, if the volume is set the same level on each, one might be slightly louder than the other. If you can use XLR, go for it. Monoprice has them cheap.

Why is it recommended by emotive?

Maybe cause their amps are noisy?

This gives better noise rejection,
especially for longer cable runs.

If your sub is 10' away from your UMC-1, it probably doesn't matter anyways.

• Moderators

Believe me money is tight everywhere unless your Youthman LOL Jk. Just kidding Youthman.

Too funny roaddog. [:D] Our family is truly blessed by the Lord in that we have not really "felt" the economic hardship. I can attribute it to about 7 years ago, we went to a Dave Ramsey Live Event. We walked away with a plan and a desire to do whatever it took to get out of debt and to never return. We worked our butts off and made many sacrifices to become debt free (other than our home). It's MUCH easier now to save, spend and give when we don't have any payments but our home. I also started a side business in custom website design, logo design and printing services that has helped bring in extra income to pay off our debts. We found out the hard way the truth of Proverbs 22:7 "The borrower is slave to the lender". Just got tired of being a slave so we broke free from debt. When we began to build our theater room, we did it over about a 3 year period, buying as funds were available and sweet deals were for the taking.

In two weeks, my wife and I are going on our first cruise together. Can't wait!

• Moderators

KEY #1: MUTE
KEY #2: STATUS
KEY #3: VOL + (Volume Up)

Press these in quick succession.

THEN: Look at the UMC's Front Panel LED Display to see current FW version loaded on your unit.

I have version 7.04.00.10. I believe the most current version is 7.04.00.19. I just posted in the Emo forums to see if I should try to update my FW.

KEY #1: MUTE
KEY #2: STATUS
KEY #3: VOL + (Volume Up)

Press these in quick succession.

THEN: Look at the UMC's Front Panel LED Display to see current FW version loaded on your unit.

I have version 7.04.00.10. I believe the most current version is 7.04.00.19. I just posted in the Emo forums to see if I should try to update my FW.

i have the most current version

nice, a wise decision ;)

if your using rca for the sub right now I'd keep using rca unless theres a noise problem / interference, then try xlr, if you haven't had problems in the passed with rca theres no reason to have them now

when you get it run emo q to get some basic settings setup but then go over all of them again and tweak them, if your willing to put in the time to get the settings proper you should love your new toy

Thanks we will see soon. I do have a slight hiss from the speakers but I dont know it the sub is causing it, I think its just the amps. ou have to put your ear up to the speaker to hear it though. I ordered a xlr cable so I may just try it and see. Wonder why the emotiva manual says to use the xlr.

I'm messaging back and forth with an onkyo owner on the AVS forum that uses the zone 2/3 12v triggers for his amps as well. I guess it's not out of the question to run amps with onkyo receivers. I knew that didn't make any sense...I suppose that makes the 818 get added back to my list of potentials...

Disregard, he said that he turns everything on manually. Back to the drawing board...

Here is the email I sent onkyo and there reply.

Model: TX-NR818

Serial: N/A

Comments: Looking to buy another receiver. I need a receiver that has trigger outputs for my amplifiers. So when I turn the receiver on the amps will also turn on at the same time. I have an old sr706 and i can not turn on the amps with that unit either, do you have any models that will do that?

Hello John:

Unfortunately- our receiver with 12 volt triggers are only able to trigger for ZONE 2 and 3 functionality- not for the main listening zone.

Thank you for contacting Onkyo and Integra USA Product Support, if you need further assistance feel free to call us at:

Onkyo Product Support: 800-229-1687

Integra Product Support: 800-225-1946

Product Support Team Hours of Operation:

Monday thru Friday 9am to 8pm EST

Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm EST

I think I read his last message incorrectly. I am still talking to the guy and it does seem that you can turn the amps on by hitting the zone 2/3 button, then just go back to zone 1 and the amps are turned on, and will turn off when you turn the AVR off. I suppose this makes sense, it just adds an extra step. I'm still talking to the guy just trying to understand 100%. And if I was to guess as to why they went to 2 woofers, I would say to save money.

I think I read his last message incorrectly. I am still talking to the guy and it does seem that you can turn the amps on by hitting the zone 2/3 button, then just go back to zone 1 and the amps are turned on, and will turn off when you turn the AVR off. I suppose this makes sense, it just adds an extra step. I'm still talking to the guy just trying to understand 100%. And if I was to guess as to why they went to 2 woofers, I would say to save money.

I would think that would work, as you said it would add an extra step if it works right.

Which is really not a big deal and a whole lot easier than turning them off and on manually. We'll see tho, I have been looking at other AVRs and wouldn't mind trying something different, but I have to say that the onkyo issue is not a deal breaker for me. Kinda wish I had an amp now to give it a try myself.

I would have tried something else anyway. Was looking at denon or marantz. Getting the umc-1 and a 40% on a future upgrade is a nice bonus. The xmc-1 is looking pretty good, have to see when it comes out and what the feed back is on it. The umc-1 will hopefully hold me over till then or I will try something else. for $499.00 and 40% off its worth a try, I could always sell it or use it somewhere else for 2 channel.