Need a new receiver

roaddog359

I'm looking at the onkyo 818, it has 9.2 analog pre-outs but the 12v trigger is only for zone 2/3. From what I've read this is what is used to turn amps on, would there be another way to for the onkyo to trigger amps to turn on? I would think there has to be a way or else there wouldn't be the pre-outs, right?

I actually did contact them to see what the deal was. That just seems *really* silly to me. I don't really know if I plan on buying amps within the next few years, but if I do end up deciding to do so, I would like to have the option to use them. Everything else about the 818 looks extremely appealing, but if there is no way to trigger amps correctly I can see this as being a deal breaker for a lot of people (as it has already been mentioned in this thread). I suppose you could always just use zone 2 in your main listening area...right? I suppose I'd have to see if you lose any sound options by doing it that way. Although aren't other zones usually only 2 channel? I just don't get their reasoning behind not having 12v for zone 1...

edit: just saw that zone 2 doesn't have video out, sooooo so much for that idea.

I actually did contact them to see what the deal was. That just seems *really* silly to me. I don't really know if I plan on buying amps within the next few years, but if I do end up deciding to do so, I would like to have the option to use them. Everything else about the 818 looks extremely appealing, but if there is no way to trigger amps correctly I can see this as being a deal breaker for a lot of people (as it has already been mentioned in this thread). I suppose you could always just use zone 2 in your main listening area...right? I suppose I'd have to see if you lose any sound options by doing it that way. Although aren't other zones usually only 2 channel? I just don't get their reasoning behind not having 12v for zone 1...

edit: just saw that zone 2 doesn't have video out, sooooo so much for that idea.

I am telling you, thats why I was not considering onkyo anymore. I always had to turn my amps on and off manually . If the receiver has a switched outlet on back you can do it. but the onkyo I had or was looking at did not. So Onkyo is out for me Pal.Also I will say that the amps brought my system alive. Onkyo could not do that alone. So amps are the way to go. IMHO

You should contact Onkyo and ask them to consider it in the next generation.I'm sure they would be interested in your opinion and input.

Yeah, I bet they will listen!! I am sure it has been brought to there attention before now. No more "Donkey O" for me.

I am telling you, thats why I was not considering onkyo anymore. I always had to turn my amps on and off manually . If the receiver has a switched outlet on back you can do it. but the onkyo I had or was looking at did not. So Onkyo is out for me Pal.Also I will say that the amps brought my system alive. Onkyo could not do that alone. So amps are the way to go. IMHO

That would be a pain having to turn them on and off every time =^/ I really like everything else about the 818, so that's a big ol bummer. I dunno tho, I may still end up going with it as I'm not sure if I'll be buying amps any time soon...I'm thinking I will some day, but there is only so much money I can talk my wife into dumping into the HT. She's already upset at my speaker purchase =^P

All I can say is I had the Onkyo 706 also, and when I connected my amps, it was like a whole new home theater. Believe me money is tight everywhere unless your Youthman LOL Jk. Just kidding Youthman. But your speakers will really come alive with the addition of amps even over a new receiver. The amps were the best thing I added to my system my sub is a close second though.

If the receiver has a switched outlet on back you can do it. but the onkyo I had or was looking at did not.

Not a good idea. Your amplifier will pull too much juice for the switched outlet in the receiver to handle it. CD and DVD players, tuners, cooling fans all okay, just not amps.

I just don't get their reasoning behind not having 12v for zone 1

I believe the reasoning is in order to add the plethora of modern features that Onkyo seems to come out with soonest in their midlevel lineup, something has to go. Hence main zone 12v triggers and switched outlets no more. Sad but true.

Bill

That would be a pain having to turn them on and off every time =^/ I really like everything else about the 818, so that's a big ol bummer.

I do think the Integra versions of the Onkyo TX-NR8XX"s do have assignable 12v triggers.

I know the Integra 50.3 does.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-50.3&class=Receiver&p=f

INTEGRATION ACCESS: _px.gif
grey_lt.gif
Bi-directional RS-232 Control Port _px.gif
checkmark.gif
grey_lt.gif
Bi-directional Ethernet Control Port _px.gif
checkmark.gif
grey_lt.gif
Rear Panel IR Input / Output _px.gif
2 / 1
grey_lt.gif
_px.gifRIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) _px.gif
checkmark.gif
grey_lt.gif
_px.gifRI System Control _px.gif
checkmark.gif
grey_lt.gif
_px.gif12V Trigger (w/adjustable delay) _px.gif
Assignable (x3)

Bill

If the receiver has a switched outlet on back you can do it. but the onkyo I had or was looking at did not.

Not a good idea. Your amplifier will pull too much juice for the switched outlet in the receiver to handle it. CD and DVD players, tuners, cooling fans all okay, just not amps.

I just don't get their reasoning behind not having 12v for zone 1

I believe the reasoning is in order to add the plethora of modern features that Onkyo seems to come out with soonest in their midlevel lineup, something has to go. Hence main zone 12v triggers and switched outlets no more. Sad but true.

Bill

I did not mean to plug the amp into the receiver. I believe you use a wall wart and plug that in to the receiver and the male end of the jack to the amp trigger. So when the receiver turns on it sends power to the amp trigger. I have not done this but was told that is a work around for no trigger on the receiver, but I also had not switched power outlet on the Onkyo.

Yes that is the work around many have used for decades, until no more plugs in the rear panel.Just find something else as Onkyo is a HT company only that could care less about you or your needs.

Ok, Youthman and other UMC-1 owners. Here is a question for you. In the manual it says that you should connect the sub with the xlr balanced cables if you have the option. Did any of you do that? Pros and cons? Just trying to decide if I need a xlr cable or not. Why is it recommended by emotive?

From the manual:

5. XLR Subwoofer Output

This line-level balanced XLR output connects to the XLR input of your powered subwoofer. If your powered

subwoofer has a choice of inputs, we recommend using the XLR balanced type. This gives better noise rejection,

especially for longer cable runs.

Just found this post on the AVS forum about onkyos and amps:

yes the Onkyo can be as a trigger by the zone 3 setting.

just set zone 3 to source & when you turn on the zone 3 it then triggers the external amps

my 5008 & 1009 both work that way with my 2 Emotiva UPA-7 & UPA-2

You can even piggy back / daisy chain the external amps as well .

what you can't do is run them as a trigger & a Zone 3 speakers @ the same time .It's one or the other .

which is why the 818 is really a great inexpensive way to have a Pre/Pro.

if set-up right it will do every thing the expensive Onkyo Pre/Pro SC5509 will do .

with the unit set-up as pre/pro, The 9 pre-outs ( plus the 2 Sub pre-outs ) can & will do 9.2

I can easliy start my 2 Emo's on the remote by selecting zone 3 on & then hit receiver on & the Onkyo starts as well . turns off by repeating that order in reverse