just put my Klipschorns up for sale and looking for small speaker recommendations

The suggestions of Heresy, Dynaco A25s, etc. are good ones.

Your original comment about a single driver Lowther (a budget buster) makes me think you might enjoy something along the lines of Tekton 4.1 (now discontinued). This forum's Mdeneen, and others, have raved about the Fostex based single driver speakers. See http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/125388/1267594.aspx#1267594 and/or http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/87559.aspx?PageIndex=1

While I'm still waiting to find used FE103s, I have experience with Radio Shack 40-1197s (similar to FE103) in the Fostex designed rear loaded horn and in a small bass reflex enclosure like the Tekton 4.1 (both using notch filters). In addition to a small footprint and small cost, the single driver concept produces phenomenal midrange and imaging. For many, the compromises regarding the extremes (treble and bass) are more than compensated by the midrange and imaging from a single driver with no crossover. Female vocals are excellent; almost spooky.

Even though I listen most often via the near field experience of computer speakers; most 2 channel is through the 40-1197 single drivers. Every now and then I switch to Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, etc. to be reminded of the limitations of single drivers. Nonetheless, they might answer your space and budget constraints. YMMV.

Best wishes in your sale and search. Please let us know what you decide.

I've owned and still own Magnepan speakers. I very much doubt that any Maggie model would be a good solution for you. They need to be away from the back wall a good ways to sound their best. Pushing them back against the wall will kill them.

At my last job I had a coworker that owned a pair of Zu Audio Omen. He drove them with a Yaqin tubed amp and a Cambridge Audio CD player. His system sounded VERY good to me. He had it in a smallish living room. The Omens brand new are within your stated budget. They occasionally pop up on eBay (sold by Zu) at a significant discount.

It might be worth a bit of time to check them out.

Stepping down from a k-horn to a single driver speaker is a recipe for disaster IMHO: I have built two Fostex 8" based systems and both, while sounding quite nice for what they are, could not take the place of k-horns in my main system. also forget MMGs since these need to be quite a ways out into the room to give their best (though maggies are fantastic sounded speakers, I had SMGc and loved them). what amplifier are you using? if they are flea amps Heresy might not be a bad choice (some complain about strident highs though), if you have an amp with some watts behind it the smaller, stand mounted speaker from KRK, Klipsch, PSB and NHT all present nice choices. how much is your budget? this ultimately determines where you can look. BTW I have been eyeing the eminent technology LFT-16 speaker, it uses ribbons for mids and highs and should sound fast and clear like we hornies like. regards, T

Stepping down from a k-horn to a single driver speaker is a recipe for disaster IMHO: I have built two Fostex 8" based systems and both, while sounding quite nice for what they are, could not take the place of k-horns in my main system.

I have Khorns and also an Amazing Single Driver Speaker....The Tektin 4.5.....The Tekton's would be quite suitable for me if I did not have room for the Khorns. Add a Subwoofer and the Little Tekton's do about 90% of what the Khorns can do. They don't take up much room and fill the room with great music. They can also be driven with SET amps, as they are quite efficient.

I bought a pair of Thiele CS1.6 speakers last year and I remain very pleased with them. They have a very small footprint, and frankly outperform all of my Klipsch speakers, including my Khorns. They will not produce the output levels of larger Klipsch heritage speakers, but the bass response and clarity are surprising from a speaker that size.

LT try contacting Cut T he knows much more about this type of speaker than I, or maybe other members can chime in? If you have a chance listen to CT's speakers, great guy great eq....... I had a great time when I was there!!!! Thanks Cut-Throat!!!!

by all means, you should audition a single driver speaker like cut-throat suggests. I was just sharing my opinion based on my experience with those type of speakers. no treble extension to give air to cymbals, no real depth in the bass and overall a tendency to compress rather easily when driven loud-ish (we are spoiled by the seemingly endless dynamic capabilities of the k-horns!). add a "super tweeter" and "sub woofer" to the single drive and you can get something decent but then I begin to wonder why not by a three way speaker or a 8-12" woofer based two way speaker. YMMV, IMHO; yadda, yadda. As I mentioned budget is a BIG factor in what you have to choose from...regards, otny

Thanks for the comments Pat!....We should get together again.

LT.....I think that Eric Alexander will make the 4.5s for you. Why Don't you call him up and talk to him. Ask him what his best sounding speaker is with your budget and your electronics. He is very approachable and offers a 30 day money back return policy, if his speakers are not your cup of tea. At the time I bought mine, his 4.5s were the best bang for the buck that he had.

You can always come over and listen to mine driven by a pair of SET amps, to see how they sound.