Oppo 93

Scrappydue

If you really don't want to pay for new, and do go used, I suggest finding a unit with the older firmware. They used to have the ability to play ripped blu-rays and DVDs in ISO format from an external HDD via USB or eSata. For me, that would have been an amazing feature as I would no longer have to worry about swapping in blu-rays or scratches.

When I was shopping for a BDP-93 I couldn't find it discounted anywhere. Every now and then they pop up at the Amazon Warehouse (returns) but that's pretty rare and the discount off of the new price isn't very much.

If you decide to pull the trigger on one get it from Amazon. They have a VERY liberal 30 day (maybe it's 60 day) return policy.

I've had mine since Feb and couldn't be happier. Make sure you understand the infrastructure needed to support a fully-iso library. DVD's are 4GB+ and BluRays are 46GB+. you will need a LOT of storage, and you better make sure it's redundant so you don't meltdown into a depression when your hard drives fail.

The Oppo supports a plethora of media formats and of course is a physical disc player. I'd much rather spend $20 in 5 years because my bluray disc is finally too worn to play. People are pretty butthurt over the unofficial ISO feature being removed, but it's really not that big of a deal and only affects a very small percentage of users.

that's not entirely accurate. ;) ... there are a select set o movies that I prefer bluray for the full video/hd audio experience, but most of the time the 720/1080 rips are quite watchable and far greater than any standard def DVD.

Some can look good, but i beleive in buying movies and not downloading them, thats just me, although i do download LEAKS, but i allways have that CD pre-ordered. Also the movies are Pixalated, and they dont sound as good, i didnt buy my HT, to watch that stuff, i want the full exprerience.

I was implying that you rip your own collection at a high quality. On my computer, playing an iso file at full quality is no different than playing a bluray. In fact, it may be more enjoyable because i dont have to listen to the disc spinning. I could see that it would be very easy to pirate movies this way, and am not surprised oppo got strong armed into dropping this feature.

I was implying that you rip your own collection at a high quality. On my computer, playing an iso file at full quality is no different than playing a bluray. In fact, it may be more enjoyable because i dont have to listen to the disc spinning. I could see that it would be very easy to pirate movies this way, and am not surprised oppo got strong armed into dropping this feature.

The blurays definitely look and sound just as good if you rip them right, and they dont need to be 50gb, large storage is pretty cheap now also

put the disc in once and never have to use it again, no worrying about damage, no noise from spinning, who really buys a 500 dollar bluray player to pirate movies? I think its disappointing they removed the iso support as well as anti consumer to offer a product with certain features only to lose your features if you ever want to maintain updates to address any other issues, not suprising seeing sonys trend on the ps3 and other products, oh well my pc hooked up to the tv plays the files just as easily

You can't really fault them too much. The ISO support was never actually officially supported, nor can it be found in the manual anywhere. It does get frustrating though losing features and having to jump through hoops to gain others because some people feel the need to steal.

I've had mine since Feb and couldn't be happier. Make sure you understand the infrastructure needed to support a fully-iso library. DVD's are 4GB+ and BluRays are 46GB+. you will need a LOT of storage, and you better make sure it's redundant so you don't meltdown into a depression when your hard drives fail.

The Oppo supports a plethora of media formats and of course is a physical disc player. I'd much rather spend $20 in 5 years because my bluray disc is finally too worn to play. People are pretty butthurt over the unofficial ISO feature being removed, but it's really not that big of a deal and only affects a very small percentage of users.

HA!!! You said "butthurt"!! That made my day:) Even my girlfriend has been saying it since wathching that episode of Workahaulics, and she nevers puts up with my stupid stuff. Very tight butthole my friend!