Cornwall to Cornscala?

Guest David H

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, do a round horn!

Already built the prototype over a year ago.

Perfect. This is evolution. Once this is in production, the next thing we will see is the cornscalla bass binm that Bob Crites designed and a round horn on top as a two way. You can probably sell these on Audio-goon for a few bucks.

Yes, and it should blow away the K600 too.

Hi Dave

It's your topic, your Cornwalls, your time and please do as you like. You asked for opinions so I gave mine. You have helped me and I respect your ability to pull off a nice mod. I just like the high frequency a bit higher than my privates. Anyway I thought a drawing would help so I hacked the hack or the one that Jim E started

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/50919.aspx

and here is the result. It's not for everyone and I have not built the top yet but I draw things first (or at least hack them out) and if I like it, I usually put them to paper full size,

I am pleased you chimed in, and you drawing looks great.

My interest in this project was to see if the Eliptrac would integrate nicely into an original Cornwall, and it's obvious that it's simple installation.

Dave

I recognize those CWs :-).I personally would go option 2. I doing the same thing with my split cabs... going 2 way with the Eliptrac 400 and a DE-85-TN. Given the specs of the DE-85-TN driver, no need to add a 3rd driver and a more complex crossover. Should yield better coherence? I wonder what the increase in efficiency will be by removing the tweeter. There are many winning 3 way options. I think a standard CW as a 2way is both new and novel.

I've been listening to this speaker config for the last year and it gets a big thumbs up from me. I built the Cornwall box and originally went 3 way with the Selenium D405 mid & HM-4750 horn and D220Ti tweeter and baby cheek horn with Crites woofer & crossover. That sounded good but could be a bit harsh at time in the high's.

The first change was going 2 way with a pair of Faital HF 200 drivers bolted on to the Selenium fibreglass horn with ALK AP12-500 crossovers. This was really good and a step up from the Selenium 3 way but that high freq harshness occasionally could be heard. I then took out the Selenium horns and installed a pair of Eliptrac 400's - OMG what a step up this was! The harshness was gone, replaced by smooth non fatiguing high's, just a very musical sound that l can listen to for hours on end, the best upgrade I've made to my setup! This is such a simple build with an outstanding result!

One question l have - has anyone heard both the Faital HF-200's and the B & C DE85's? How would you describe the sound of each compared to each other? I'm not asking which is better because that's subjective, only wondering if the two are similar sounding or quite different and what sort of sound preference would lead you to choosing one over the other?

Guest David H

One question l have - has anyone heard both the Faital HF-200's and the B & C DE85's? How would you describe the sound of each compared to each other? I'm not asking which is better because that's subjective, only wondering if the two are similar sounding or quite different and what sort of sound preference would lead you to choosing one over the other?

I have heard both drivers, and both sound incredible. My choice for using the DE-85TN stems mostly from it's shallow depth, however I also like the fact that the B&C is a true 2 inch driver which brings the diaphram closer to the mouth of the horn.

Dave.

Guest David H

I decided to go with the 2-way setup today after installing theB&C drivers and Eliptracs in Johnny 5's Prophile 41's

post-24405-13819738588024_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819769258222_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819796318622_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

For the record I am a fan of everything I have seen you involved with. Great work, I hope you are able to incorporate this into a Fastlane product that makes it to the masses. I'd love to see how the rest of the audiophile communities receive your creations.

Thanks for the comment, always appreciated.

Dave

Guest David H

Building a pair of these today. Will have the Faital HF140 driver on the Faital LTH142 horn.

Bob Crites

Very nice Bob.

Dave

all three are fing sex :-).

Im in the process of going back to a Eliptrac as the bases for a 2 way. 1 system is a Eliptrac (Faital HF2--)/ Contrac (Selenuim 220ti) 3 way. Now my alst pair of cornscala's are going EliptracB&C Combo. I had this combo and used the parts to upgreade to the 3 way. Built as splits it reminds me of war fo the worlds. :-).