converting low bit rate (128 - 192) to 256

Guest " "

I have a few 10,000 songs most of which the kids got over the years. bit rate for the early stuff was 128 to 192. I bought the icloud itunes match feature of tunes for 25 bucks a year. uploaded all the songs (matching process) that the apple store had. deleted what the apple store had in my library. then down loaded my matched tunes from icloud. this converted everything that was matched o 256K. totally legit and legal. jump on this before they pull the plug on it.

Not to rain on the parade, but this won't magically regain any of the data lost when the songs were initially made 128.

thats right.....but anyone who had teens during the late 90"s would tell you that kids were converting 192 bit songs to 64 and 128 bit so that they would fit on the then state of the are 32 and 64 meg mp3 players. The songs in the itunes store today are 256. so when you run thru the itunes match prcoess if you have a 64bit version of a song the itunes store has a 256 version of,,,,,,,,itunes match won't bother uploading you song.....it would give you rights on all you devices to the 256 version. so when you delete your local 64 version and then download the "store " 256 version your tunes get converted.

I don't think that any music is being "converted" from whatever bitrate to 256K by the "cloud" providers.

From what I've read the cloud providers have a single repository of music files. The information that's kept about your specific music collection is nothing more than a list of YOUR tracks. Those and only those are the tracks are what you have been granted access to.

To think that cloud music providers keep every user's music files in unique folders or directories is ridiculous. Think about it for a minute. Does it make sense to store 4 million copies of Rolling Stones Brown Sugar when you can warehouse ONE copy of it and simply give 4 million users access rights to it? Drive space may be at all time low prices but there is still a cost associated.

You're seeing 256K files because that's what's stored on their servers.

I don't think that any music is being "converted" from whatever bitrate to 256K by the "cloud" providers.

From what I've read the cloud providers have a single repository of music files. The information that's kept about your specific music collection is nothing more than a list of YOUR tracks. Those and only those are the tracks are what you have been granted access to.

To think that cloud music providers keep every user's music files in unique folders or directories is ridiculous. Think about it for a minute. Does it make sense to store 4 million copies of Rolling Stones Brown Sugar when you can warehouse ONE copy of it and simply give 4 million users access rights to it? Drive space may be at all time low prices but there is still a cost associated.

This is so simple....I don't understand the confusion. Let me try this again. Lets say you have 10000 songs that are 64, 128 or 192 bit rate. You enroll in itumes match. itunes match inventories your library and gives you rights to the 256 bit version on their servers for any itunes devices you have. any song not on their servers they upload and make available to any itunes devices you have. so now . lets say out of 10000, 8500 songs were a match and are on their servers and 1500 were not a match and they had to up load. You now delete all the songs from your local library that is indicated in itunes as an matched by icloud. once you delete all your local files, you select the option to download your music to your local library from icloud. once the donw loads are complete, 8500 64, 128, or 192 files would be replaced with the itune store's 256 bit copy.

This is so simple....I don't understand the confusion. Let me try this again. Lets say you have 10000 songs that are 64, 128 or 192 bit rate. You enroll in itumes match. itunes match inventories your library and gives you rights to the 256 bit version on their servers for any itunes devices you have. any song not on their servers they upload and make available to any itunes devices you have. so now . lets say out of 10000, 8500 songs were a match and are on their servers and 1500 were not a match and they had to up load. You now delete all the songs from your local library that is indicated in itunes as an matched by icloud. once you delete all your local files, you select the option to download your music to your local library from icloud. once the donw loads are complete, 8500 64, 128, or 192 files would be replaced with the itune store's 256 bit copy.

This is very interesting and I'll be looking into it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thats an interesting idea. I have 100GB or so of the older songs but Itunes is such a pain in the a$$......I mean my wife uses it and has several hundred songs on their server and I'm all the time having to rescue either her or itunes in one way or the other. Just last night she supposedly downloaded and paid for 5 new songs but actually they asked her to renew/upgrade security questions which she put off and therefore the downloads didn't really happen. She spend quite a while hunting for those songs on her Touch. Please.....

Give me my MP3 files and I'll just keep listening to those with whatever player I can get for free.

Thats an interesting idea. I have 100GB or so of the older songs but Itunes is such a pain in the a$$......I mean my wife uses it and has several hundred songs on their server and I'm all the time having to rescue either her or itunes in one way or the other. Just last night she supposedly downloaded and paid for 5 new songs but actually they asked her to renew/upgrade security questions which she put off and therefore the downloads didn't really happen. She spend quite a while hunting for those songs on her Touch. Please.....

Give me my MP3 files and I'll just keep listening to those with whatever player I can get for free.

right....but once the match process is done...the ideal is to delete your old music and download the new 256bit version. which means it's on your PC again.

Yeah, now that part of it is very nice indeed. With some of these songs I can hear digital "skips" in the music. I'm sure those files are free of those problems. Certainly something to consider especially if you've already embraced Itunes anyway.

I've got my stuff in the cloud, how do I go about re-downloading them?

easiest way.....sort on the cloud symbol....the ones with a diag line thru the cloud are not matched...the ones with a complete cloud are a match.....select all the ones with a complete cloud....add them to a new playlist.....go to the bottom of the playlist and you wil see a "download all" icon....pick that....all the 256kb will be downloaded.....BUT....after backing up your local files....you have to delete the files in your library......you can expeirment with a handful of songs if you want.....create a small playlist and copy some songs to the list....delete those songs in your local library...go to the playlist and select download all....the songs you deleted will be replaced with 256kb files. I did all of mine in one shot becuase I have multiple copies of my local library.

After you have your music in the cloud, you can make a smart playlist with the following rules:

Bit rate is less than 256kbps

Media Kind is Music

iCloud status is Matched

This smart playlist then has all your music files that are stored on your computer and have a better copy you can dowload from the Cloud. When you delete these files from your computer, then you can download them from the cloud and that will then be the copy stored in your computer. Just be careful that you do not also delete the file from the cloud when you delete from your computer. That is also an option you will have when deleting.

Neat thing about doing it with the smart playlist is that you can have a current running updated list of all those files that are available to replace. You can do the delete on as many or as few of those as you want. One little trick that you may want to do. When you delete your old music files (which you have to do to download the better quality version), itunes just moves the deleted files to the trash. You can then move those files out of the trash to another folder if you want to keep them.

All my stuff still says waiting...I guess because I'm still uploading the stuff that didn't have a match. I'll just wait until it's all done before I start messing with it. Thanks for the info tho~

edit: I made the playlist, I have a little over 7000 songs that are matched. I would say my $25 was worth it. I'm guessing I have quite a bit more on my other computer as well.

Something a little weird, there were some songs with no info on my computer and although itunes did find a match, when I downloaded it, it didn't correct the name. Kind of a bummer, but oh well, at least I have a higher quality version of stuff I have no names to =^P