Driver Comparison for the K 402 Horn

Before the Jubilees were delivered, we had received another shipment from Wilson Trucking that was sort of a Care Package from Burbank, CA.

they really shipped those drivers loose like that?

they really shipped those drivers loose like that?

Mike,

It is probably hard to tell from the picture, but the Driver and Horn came packed in the Box below the combo, in the picture. These boxes were then placed in the crate and individually packed and braced. Sometimes the Camera does not do justice, to the subject at hand. Everything in the crate, along with the Studer, was individually wrapped in Bubble Foil, individually braced and (for lack of a better term) Super-Taped. There was NO way that anything in the Wooden Crate Could have/Would have shifted, in transit. It was one of the better packing jobs that I have ever seen. While I did not show all of the individual picvtures, the internal sides of the box were braced and screwed individually. Short of dropping from the fourth floor, to the concrete sidewalk below, the crate and it's contents wold have surviived.

W. C.

WC, TAD makes the 4002 and the 4002-Z.

The Z version doesn't have the snout that like Mike says, goes from 1 1/2 to 2". This is the part you need to make that transition.

W.C. I'm pretty sure you will quickly see if the hole on the TAD mating to the 402 is a smaller diameter, eh? Mike and Richard are most likely correct.

Claude,

I haven't taken the horns off of the 4002's yet but I am pretty sure that I WILL need an adapter. I will either have to buy them or have them machined. This is going to be a very stupid question: Suppose I re-drill the K 402 flange and bolt the 4002 directly to it. Will not having an adapter to make up the 1/2", make that much difference? I do have a drawing that I can get a 1/2" thick adapter made and there is a machine shop a block from me. Hope that question made sense, as I almost coRnfused myself........[:o] Of course, it would be wonderful, if someone had some adapters just lying around.....Yea....right...!!!!!!!!

Why is it that everytime you try to do something....You need to get more STUFF....?

W. C.

I just shined a flashlight down the throat of one of my 402s with a TAD on it and what you need is exactly what Richard has posted. It fits exactly perfectly to the 402. I have no idea where you would get those adaptors. My TADs had them attached when I got them. I don't know what happens when you compromise the fit at the throat.

Not sure what the poster above is saying about not wanting theTAD adaptors. I don't believe that is correct but I may have misinterpreted the post.

Suppose I re-drill the K 402 flange and bolt the 4002 directly to it. Will not having an adapter to make up the 1/2", make that much difference? I do have a drawing that I can get a 1/2" thick adapter made and there is a machine shop a block from me.

Hey W. C.

First yes you need an adapter just bolting up the driver by redrilling the K402 flange will not work.

Some of us questioned the TAD adapter's design and wondered if we could gain some performance advantage with an adapter having an angle closer to the K402's design so Marion (rigma) designed a 1/2" thick adapter and we tested it. After reviewing the results I wouldn't use it myself. I'll post you a curve and show the compromise it has versus the standard TAD adapter.

IMO TAD could have designed any size adapter and I believe they choose the best compromise between smooth frequency response, reasonable polar window centered on axis and efficiency at the upper end of the drivers response in that window by letting the polars narrow reasonably at the upper end.

I've also heard the TAD4002 with the standard adapter mounted on the K402 in an anechoic chamber using pink noise were polar angles were easly heard and the TAD/K402 exhibits a very smooth and well controled polars without any obvious polar shifting toward the upper response evident to me anyway.

miketn

post-14473-1381974037188_thumb.jpg

post-14473-13819771016608_thumb.jpg

post-14473-1381979821995_thumb.jpg

Mark and Mike,

I am presuming that you guys are talking about the adapter that is about three inches long? If this is what I need, it would sure be nice to find a source. I have the PDF of the adapter you show, that is made out of a half inch piece of aluminum and I have heard the same ....it is NOT the proper adapter to use on the 402. If I could even get a drawing of the proper adapter, I could have them machined. We will continue looking and hopefully I will find some somewhere.

Thanks for all of the GREAT input. There is no sense in even testing them until I can get the proper adapters.

W. C.

This was on axis of the K402 at 1 meter

note: this is a high resolution "dirty curve" and not smoothed

Red is the standard TAD adapter

Blue is the 1/2" modified adapter

As can be seen there is a loss in on axis efficiency of about (3db to 6db) between approximately 10.5kHz and 16kHz with the 1/2" modified adapter. This is evidence that the 1/2" adapter has increased the polar angle and off axis efficiency in this region versus the standard TAD adapter at of course a shift in the on-axis efficiency response. If one wanted to possibly use a passive crossover then this would be an issue to overcome and if active crossover is used then compensation might be possible by increasing the drive in this region. The real question is does the 1/2" adapter offer any audible improvement over the standard TAD adapter and my observation was I couldn't really hear any and at least IMO isn't worth driving the TAD harder in this region.

miketn

post-14473-1381974038162_thumb.jpg

post-14473-13819771026452_thumb.jpg

post-14473-13819798230294_thumb.jpg

Here is the TAD4002 with Adapter

as you can see the adapter is 63.5mm (159.5mm - 96mm) long or (ie: 2.5 inches long)

Should be able to get all the needed dimensions from this W. C.

I have seen the adapters for sale on e-bay and such from time to time. Might even check a TAD dealer or other places that sale used drivers.

miketn

post-14473-1381974038284_thumb.jpg

post-14473-13819771027592_thumb.jpg

post-14473-13819798231454_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Thanks for the drawing, as it will allow me to have them made. Will take this to the machine shop tomorrow and I am sure that it will be a couple of weeks before they can start on them, I will continue looking for the adapters already made. I think I have searched about every available source and I will try to see if I can find a dealer tomorrow.

I really appreciate your posting the diagram.

Thanks, W. C.