The move from 63's to 7ii's??

Scrappydue

Has anyone on here made this move and regretted it? I am debating because I am mostly into movies for my home theater. And I read alot of stuff that says these are better for HT but also read tons of people that love them for music as well. I do plan on having a dedicated 2 channel one day once I move and will probably look into heritage for that. So I am wondering if the step up or lateral would be worth it for movies. I feel like my stuff is great but not quite as in your face as when I go to the movies. Also debating on doing three towers up front for the seamless and perfect height soundstage.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a surprise[:o], the RF-63's biggest fan is first to speak out.

Has anyone on here made this move and regretted it?

Never made the move so no chance of regrets.[:P]

So I am wondering if the step up or lateral would be worth it for movies.

The RF-7II's will have more impact and presence for HT than the RF-63's. Okay I said it.[:^)] I actually already knew it.

I feel like my stuff is great but not quite as in your face as when I go to the movies.

But, as I mentioned before, with the right amp, the 63's can sound pretty darn big. But also, with the right amp the RF-7II's will sound even bigger.[Y]

Bill

So I am wondering if the step up or lateral would be worth it for movies.

The RF-7II's will have more impact and presence for HT than the RF-63's. Okay I said it.Huh? I actually already knew it.

LOL! Was that so hard? [:o]

But, as I mentioned before, with the right amp, the 63's can sound pretty darn big. But also, with the right amp the RF-7II's will sound even bigger.Yes

No pressure Scrappy, Bill sold the Acurus amp......[:P]

I'd love to hear the RF-63's some day.

I never had the 63's, but I did have the 82s. The jump, for me, from the 82's up to the 7's made quite the impact in my setup. I already had the RC-64II, so my front soundstage opened up. Plus I am driving everything with a 400 watt amp. The build of the 7's is also quite impressive. Your idea of going with three towers for the LCR is a good one. Depending on how I setup my new room, that is route I will most likely go with...

Good luck!

I went from the VF 36's to the RF 7's and the front stage changed slightly since the avr is still going to make either set of speaker 85 db at reference level and around 75 at -20 db setting. For me, the biggest impact for HT came from adding a second sub to the system..I also run my system as a THX system for movies and music. This takes advantage of the sharp slope on the xo's 24-db per octave on the high and low filters..

LOL! Was that so hard? Surprise

Hey, I did know the RF-7II's sound bigger. They are bigger. But I like the 63's so much for music, it would be a tough sell for me to switch just to gain some more ooomph with HT.

No pressure Scrappy, Bill sold the Acurus amp......Stick out tongue

I was referring to maybe a new pair of Aragon Iridium monoblocks(400w at 8ohms/600w at 4ohms) to really open up a pair of RF-7II's.[Y]

iridium3.jpgiridium3.jpg

I know you don't need 400 watts a channel for the RF-7II's but these sure would look cool[H] sitting right up front next to them.

Bill

I went from the VF 36's to the RF 7's and the front stage changed slightly since the avr is still going to make either set of speaker 85 db at reference level and around 75 at -20 db setting. For me, the biggest impact for HT came from adding a second sub to the system..I also run my system as a THX system for movies and music. This takes advantage of the sharp slope on the xo's 24-db per octave on the high and low filters..

Got the dual subs on standby to be spread apart. Just wondering if I could get a little more towards an actual cinema sound or if I should keep what I have and just do height channels? Also means more speakers and more amps. Rf-7ii across the front, don't think I would need height or width channels then. 7.1 would be all I would ever desire I think.

LOL! Was that so hard? Surprise

Hey, I did know the RF-7II's sound bigger. They are bigger. But I like the 63's so much for music, it would be a tough sell for me to switch just to gain some more ooomph with HT.

No pressure Scrappy, Bill sold the Acurus amp......Stick out tongue

I was referring to maybe a new pair of Aragon Iridium monoblocks(400w at 8ohms/600w at 4ohms) to really open up a pair of RF-7II's.Yes

iridium3.jpgiridium3.jpg

I know you don't need 400 watts a channel for the RF-7II's but these sure would look coolCool sitting right up front next to them.

Bill

W o W !! 4K A P o P !
Even come in Left & Right Models .................. but $4,000 each .. I'd rather have McIntosh for that amout of coin .. W o W ...

I don't know if anyone on here has ever owned or even seen this boulder audio gear, but there stuff is unreal!! won't ever own any. not even if i won the lottery, but it sure looks beastly! there is a local store that sells lots of high end gear here in san diego. i think rotel and mcintosh is there cheapest stuff. lots of wilson audio, boulder, and some others i can't remember and have only heard of because of that place. BUUUUUTTT, back to the original topic, i think i am gonna see if i can take my xpa-2 to the fry's out here to hear the rf-7ii's on an amp instead of the onkyo 3009.

I have not heard the RF-63's but I know that the RF-7/RF-7 ll would have a larger sound and more impact. I don't think a lot of people realize how big the RF-7 tweeter really is. That gigantic 1.75" driver is almost as big as the big commercial drivers.

Also means more speakers and more amps

Not necessarily. Just have your receiver power them. I think it should be able to keep up for front heights. Were you not impressed enough by the THX Ultra2 setup to consider that route? When you demo the RF-7 II's, if you like them better, please don't let me know. It's the last thing I need right now. If you don't like them as much, I would love to know that though! I am also thinking a pair of P-37f's wouldn't set you back much further than a pair of RF-7 II's.

well i am planning on a pre/pro, so i would have to get more amps. but that is not that big of a issue to me. i was impressed by thx ultra, but thr rf-7iis are about the same price indivually, and you know that the rf-7ii will have a much bigger sound. the benefit of the thx package is the coherence of the same speakers working together. but if you had matching towers across the front i think you would achieve the same effect. and they subs in that package are ok. they ain't no ULTRA's, ill tell you that for sure. i have in inquired about palladium lines, but have never really got a great answer on where they can be had at at a good price besides used on audiogon once in a while. the reason i am looking at the rf-7ii's is there ability to be in your face like at a movie theater. and i play stuff pretty damn loud. i wish i could get those jubilees on audiogon, but that is more than i want to spend, plus that means all the speakers would have to get redone. if i was to but the rf-7ii's across the fron the rs-62 will do just fine. and rb-61's would be fine for the rears to me as well. I just found a place downtown that has a set of rf-63's in a large room for demo. so that will give me a better look at what i have. i have mine in a small room and not very well setup. i will get to hear them proper width and more than 8 feet away from them.

Scrappydue, if I looked at your system correctly, you are not using surrond back. I would take it to a full 7.2. Front Height or Surround back give the HT a lot of extra ooomph. It will immerse you in sound and redistribute the sound field in your room. You have some nice amps and your Onkyo in an ULTRA 2 which should give you hign current flow for ht dynamics. If you have the itch for some 7's it is hard to resist, I could not. Are you running your setup as a THX? Take advantage of that Onkyo! My systen is Select 2 THX and I have run the system with some speakers on large and then all small with 80 xo and ran MCACC as THX speakers. I think it sounds better with this setup. Nothing like the subs handling the bass for HT. Those SVS subs are some heavy bottom feeders. A THX setup will sum the bass + LFE for some added impact.

• Moderators

How big is your room ?

If you think your room is too small for the 63's the RF7's surely will not help.

Like Derrick said add some rear/side speakers to change the sound in your room, just start with some surrounds and see how it helps and go from there ? Adding surrounds will make a big difference as to how the whole room sounds.