VRD Mono Blocks

muel

I did a trial of the Russian Gold Lion KT88 in the VRDs and they lasted about 500 hours before going into a sparkshow. Had it happen on two different quads. After that, I stuck with the Penta Labs. I didn't think the GLs were enough of a difference to worry about vs. the Pentas on a sonic basis - in fact I liked the Pentas just a bit more, and I've had very good luck with them operationally. I've got about 8 quads of those in reserve, as well as 5 quads of the old Valve Art KT100 (also known as the KT88T) which are no longer in production, but was another KT88 that was an exceptional effort from Shuguang.

Short of vintage Tung-Sol and real English Genelex GL I've tried just about all of the standard KT88s in this amp and the Pentas really are a good match for these.

I settled on the circa 1960 version of the Philips/Holland (Amperex) 12AX7 and 12AU7 up front (large O getter versions) - crisp, clean, and sweet sounding. I quit rolling my VRDs a long time ago - I have them right where I want them, with good stock of replacement tubes to listen to them until I'm dead.

Craig's preamp is next on the list.

I was thinking of swapping out the Tungsol KT150's / Mullard CV593  for  KT88's / GZ34  just to see if it makes a difference

I was disappointed when I pulled my Tungsol KT120's and plugged the GL's back in my VRD's. The Tungsol are staying put!

I was thinking of swapping out the Tungsol KT150's / Mullard CV593 for KT88's / GZ34 just to see if it makes a difference

I was disappointed when I pulled my Tungsol KT120's and plugged the GL's back in my VRD's. The Tungsol are staying put!

Where did you end up biasing the 120's at?

I was thinking of swapping out the Tungsol KT150's / Mullard CV593 for KT88's / GZ34 just to see if it makes a difference

Where did you end up biasing the 120's at?

.80 with the Mullard CV593 rectifiers as per our discussion.

Edited by jorjen

Paul you can pump the bias up[ to 80mA for a while with GZ34's and the 120's just to see what you think.... But in the long run from a sonic standpoint the Penta style Chinese KT88 is hard to beat! I like the 120's and 150's more from a reliability standpoint then absolute sonic superiority. Although I still can not confirm just how long they will last my gut instant so for tell me many years I haven't had them long enough to be sure.  

I've never liked any of the Russian made KT88 like the  GL or EH ,,, I think they are a bit SS sounding ;) The only Russian KT88 I some what liked was the old Svetlana before the naming mess...

I'm curious about a couple of things......

One: What's the object of the bigger Tung-Sols and alternate rectifier rigs - I'm assuming more power?

Two: I am interested in detail specific reviews on the Duelund and Jupiter caps. They seem to have changed the world of PIO design. Let's hear it from the cap freaks. Specifically interested in the midrange details and finishing touch on the treble. Sell me, sell me, sell me :D

Caps are taste. The best ones give the most transparency, but along with that, more is on display, which can be a great or not so great thing. I think the Jupiter Copper is a very swell cap for any money, and is very balanced. With it, I don't see any reason to spend more, really.

Edited by paul79

I traded the K75 russian caps " the mean green's" out for the Jupiter coppers and found more clarity from top to bottom. Everything has a keener edge, I guess, well defined, might be a better way to put it. I listen to mostly jazz and vocals on vinyl and there was more than just a marginal improvement.

I'm with Paul on this one, for the $'s spent it was worth it.

Tom