Starting Point: RF-7ii?

Flicker

Hello,

I joined this forum last year when I was looking for advice about a self-gifted 30th-birthday present. I purchased a Klipsch Synergy home theater package, along with an Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver, but I found a local dealer a week later that sold Reference Series speakers, so I returned the Synergy speakers, and I kept the receiver, and I started looking at some speakers of higher quality. By the way, Klipsch confirmed the store as an authorized Klipsch dealer. Anyway, some things came up, and I could no longer make the investment, but I'm back in the market, and I want to do this correctly.

About a year ago, I checked out Klipsch Reference speakers for the first time, and it was awesome! I was impressed with the overall quality of the entire line (especially when compared to the Synergy and Icon series speakers, which initially impressed me, as well); however, the dual-woofer surrounds caught my attention, and so did two of their floorstanders. The RF-82ii was great, but the RF-7ii brought the sound quality to another level--it just stopped me right where I stood, and I was simply in awe!

I listened to some products from Best Buy's Magnolia stores, and Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, and Bowers and Wilkins are all great speakers, but nothing impressed me the way those RF-7ii speakers did. I've been doing my homework, although most of my knowledge is theoretical, but I believe it must be something about the dual 10-inch cerametallic woofers paired with the 1.75-inch titanium driver that blends the sound so well (at least to my ears)--in the end, that's all that really matters, right? Anyway, my point is that I'm looking to upgrade my television and get much better sound quality at the same time. I set aside enough for a new t.v. and 2 RF-7s but not much else. I am wondering if I can simply purchase a set of new RF-7s (about $3,200) and power them through my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver? I want to complete the system down the road (after I move in another year or so) with a RC-64ii and RS-52s or RS-62s, and finish it with a nothing-too-fancy sub. I'm not into bass the way most people are, and I don't like the idea of spending this much money without a warranty. I was hoping if I did it the right way, I could enjoy this system for at least a decade--is that a safe bet with Klipsch quality?

I know I won't be utilizing a good portion of their capabilities without running an amp/pre-amp/or whatever most people do, but can I simply connect 2 RF-7s to my receiver and hear great sound quality for cable television and cds? I assume I would just utilize stereo mode, so can I do this "without" any danger of blowing out/clipping (damaging of any kind) my speakers under reasonable listening conditions??? That is my major concern.

Anyway, I wanted to give some background about myself and my goals to better inform anyone willing to help. To all those who helped me a year ago, I greatly appreciate it!

It feels great to be in the market again!

I really love this Klipsch Forum,

Flicker

I think the Onkyo 609 will be okay with the RF-7II's but only at "moderate" levels. The 609's power supply is really not up to the task if you really want to let it rip. If you are going to stay with the 609 for a while, I would also suggest you getting a subwoofer to handle the lows to take some strain off of the receiver's amps.

Bill

I think the Onkyo 609 will be okay with the RF-7II's but only at "moderate" levels. The 609's power supply is really not up to the task if you really want to let it rip. If you are going to stay with the 609 for a while, I would also suggest you getting a subwoofer to handle the lows to take some strain off of the receiver's amps.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. From what I've learned thus far, I don't think my receiver is going to serve me well for what I really want to do--originally, I planned on using a much less powerful set-up, so the Onkyo 'was' (then) a good choice--but it's been sitting for a year on my shelf (literally collecting dust) and I might as well use it. When you say I can listen with it at "moderate" levels, do you mean something like 1/2 power (half-way up the volume dial) or quieter than that? I just don't want to have to keep it so low that you won't know it's a good quality speaker?

When you say I can listen with it at "moderate" levels, do you mean something like 1/2 power (half-way up the volume dial) or quieter than that? I just don't want to have to keep it so low that you won't know it's a good quality speaker?

I say just don't blast it for long periods of time.

If you are a little uneasy about the whole thing, maybe you can go check this out if you are close. Second tier flagship Onkyo receiver($2000.00 msrp) from a couple of years ago with preouts to add amp later if you choose.

http://reading.craigslist.org/ele/3305692493.html

Bill

Like willand said, don't crank it to long. But I think 100 watts into 8 ohms will work for now. I think you are on the right path, how big is your room that will help us guide you to the right sub. As far as the RF-7s lasting a decade I don't think that will be a problem as many around have close to ten year old RF-7s from the first series. Good luck and glad to see you back.

Like willand said, don't crank it to long. But I think 100 watts into 8 ohms will work for now. I think you are on the right path, how big is your room that will help us guide you to the right sub. As far as the RF-7s lasting a decade I don't think that will be a problem as many around have close to ten year old RF-7s from the first series. Good luck and glad to see you back.

Duder,

Thanks for the welcome, and it's good to hear my expectations for longevity seem practical. Awesome user name, by the way!--a friend of mine uses Duder all the time. Oh, my current room is as follows: 18x12x8 high. Problem is tv is on the long (18-ft) wall, and there is an open stairwell where the left wall would ideally be, and there are two open doorways (one on each side of the television) so, it's pretty "open." I think Rf-7s should have no problem filling it, however.

Bill,

Thanks for the link! I checked it out. It's a three-year-old model, but the seller only wants a couple hundred bucks!--I emailed him. Is the price so cheap just beacuse it's a few years old? I don't mind a used receiver, nor something a couple years old, but is that a reasonable price? I 'never' looked into used electronics before. What do you think? Seems like a steal to me. By the way, that receiver seems like it's about 10 times better than what I have now! What is the shelf life for something like that???

Bill,

Thanks for the link! I checked it out. It's a three-year-old model, but the seller only wants a couple hundred bucks!--I emailed him. Is the price so cheap just beacuse it's a few years old? I don't mind a used receiver, nor something a couple years old, but is that a reasonable price? I 'never' looked into used electronics before. What do you think? Seems like a steal to me.

Let me tell you this, if it was local to me, I would ask for a demo and if all is good, I would own it. The price is a steal IMO. Make sure all HDMI inputs and outputs work properly if seller will allow. Usually with modern AVR's, if anything goes wrong, it is usually with HDMI.

Bill

Hey flicker I know for a fact that the whole rf-7ii set(minus sub) can be had for 3650. I literally just got off the phone with the place. I will pm you the details.

Scrappydue,

Thanks for shedding some light on prices for me! What does "pm" me mean? I'm not really familiar with the lingo and the mechanics of this forum. How do I "pm" someone? I apologize if this response doesn't wind up in the right place. Sometimes it seems like my responses go right under the comment I'm responding to; other times, it just shows up at the bottom of the page--can you shed some light on why this is, please?

Are these speakers new? Are they damaged? B-grade? Why would they be so cheap? Klipsch retails (2) RF-7s, (2) RS-62s, and (1) RC-64 (series II) for like $5,800. Even the nearest dealer from here wants about $5k for the set. How could they sell them that cheap?

Flicker you can get the 7s way cheaper than 3200 online.

So if you have 3200 for a starting budget you could use the
extra cash (like 1000-1200 extra) to grab something a little better to power
them?

Ref,

Thanks for the suggestion--it looks like a better receiver is the way I should go--but I also have some cash set aside for a tv budget. Someone said I could get the whole system for only a few hundred more than $3,200. I would prefer to buy in bulk, hopefully get a better deal. Do you trust buying online? Is it safe? Do you get a warranty? Return policy?

Flicker at the top right of the page there is a tab inbox. Clik that. Private messages are exactly what they say. A little more private. Read that and it will explain what they are and why they are cheaper. You and I can talk more freely in that portion of the site.

Buying from acoustic sound design couldn't be safer. You will get the same 5 year warranty as well as probably a 30 day return policy but as long as nothing is damaged in shipping don't know why you would return anything. You will love the rf-7ii set. And you can't beat the price.

Buying online has some great advantages. 1. They ship it

right to your door for free (when you spend hundreds or thousands). 2. You save

money on price and usually you don’t pay sales tax. You’re skipping the

showroom mark up (what I call it). You

should buy a few smaller things online to get your feet wet. If you need any

cables here’s a link to a place called monoprice. They have everything you can think

of for home theater, and the prices are about 80% cheaper than a store like

best buy. Like I bought a heavy duty

hdmi 50ft cable for like $45 I think.

http://www.monoprice.com/

That Onkyo receiver is a steal and with pre-outs so you can add an external amp down the road. As others have stated, you can save a tremendous amount of money by buying online. With the money you'll be saving from your initial budget you could also get a decent new AVR. ASD is great to work with but the key is you have to call them directly. Mike Embers will take good care of you and will ship on a pallet that is shrink wrapped and banded. They will also be shipped on a semi and not UPS or Fed-x with free shipping and no sales tax....

Edit: Also ask him for a combo price (RF7II's with the RC-64II)

Buying online has some great advantages. 1. They ship it

right to your door for free (when you spend hundreds or thousands). 2. You save

money on price and usually you don’t pay sales tax. You’re skipping the

showroom mark up (what I call it). You

should buy a few smaller things online to get your feet wet. If you need any

cables here’s a link to a place called monoprice. They have everything you can think

of for home theater, and the prices are about 80% cheaper than a store like

best buy. Like I bought a heavy duty

hdmi 50ft cable for like $45 I think.

http://www.monoprice.com/

Hey, thanks for the info and the link. I bought 100' of Monster last year--I got it buy-one-get-one, so 200 feet only cost me $65. However, I'm not certain what gauge it is. Everyone seems to have the same problem with this cable. Would it be okay to run this with RF-7s less than 10 feet in length? How about 20 feet for surrounds?

Thanks

^^^depends on what gauge it is for longer runs, but less than 20 feet *should* be fine. What I did when I bought my system is looked at my local store, he quoted me a price and I was just about to get it until I decided to shop more online. Places only display the MSRP so you have to call to get a better price. Once I found out what price I could get, I was able to get a better system than I originally thought I could. After I looked online and found the best price, I went back to the local guy and he ended up beating the price to earn my business, so that's always worth a shot too.

^^^depends on what gauge it is for longer runs, but less than 20 feet *should* be fine. What I did when I bought my system is looked at my local store, he quoted me a price and I was just about to get it until I decided to shop more online. Places only display the MSRP so you have to call to get a better price. Once I found out what price I could get, I was able to get a better system than I originally thought I could. After I looked online and found the best price, I went back to the local guy and he ended up beating the price to earn my business, so that's always worth a shot too.

Ivanhurd, thanks for the tip. I am going to try online, get a few quotes, and see who wants to beat whom by way of price. I 'know' my local store won't come close to matching any online price--they're they only dealer within 60 miles or so--their lowest price was about 5K, so it looks like I'm going to "test" the online route. I read your review--good luck with the little one! Stay safe. Thank you for doing what you do for the rest of us!!