Reciever Suggestions

Flicker

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I don't know. One thing I have found with my amp is it does add a lot more dynamics to the sound at regular listening levels. When before I really had to turn it up to get the full benefit of the bass and crisp highs, I now get that at all volumes.

I agree. That's the same experience I received.

They ship for free, and if you aren't satisfied, I believe they will send you a free shipping label to ship their products back to them. So if you don't like it or think it's not worth it, just send it back..

I might be incorrect but I believe you are responsible for return postage if you return an item.

Can this reciever (7.2 capable @ 100w/channel) safely power this Reference setup?

Again, going back to the OP's original question....yes, his receiver will "safely" power his reference setup. I do not see any "concerns" with it whatsoever. My thought is since he does not have speakers yet and he already has a receiver, why not try out what he has with what he's looking to buy and go from there? I know we like to spend other people's money but it seems all too often we push people to upgrade when they might not "need" to upgrade. If not, why doesn't he just buy a 5.1 set of Jubilees and some McIntosh gear and never have to worry about upgrading. [:P]

This is just my 2 cents (and we know how much that is worth in this economy). [:D]

Everytime the the power is increase 10x, the SPL will increase by 10 db:

watt = 90dB

watts = 100dB

100watts
= 110dB

This reminds me of how quick you can run out of amplifier power. I agree with some of the other post on increased dynamic as a goal and not volume. Most Klipsch speaker can get really loud but the detailed sound is what's best.

There are 3 channel amps out there for just powering your fronts, and you could allow your receiver to power the rest of the speakers. It would be a very viable and cost-effective way of adding an external amp. But as said, you would need a receiver with preouts, which is very common on most mid to high end receivers. They can be fairly pricey, but definitely worth it. You'd get a lot more detailed sound out of your RF-7's with one.

Thanks for the notification about the three-channel amp. I'm really torn, but I think I'm going to just "test" what I already have, once I order my speakers (probably within a week or so) at least for now. Here's how I see it: I know I'll need to upgrade in order to utilize the speakers' full potential; however, I can't give them what they need without getting another, more expensive receiver (leaving a brand new one sitting here for nothing), and once I have the room (and power) to turn them loose, I'm guessing there's a good chance I might want to include an additional amp, as well (possibly multiple ones). I'm gonna hold off on my upgrades for now--who knows, it may sound better than I am expecting, and I might be content for the time being. Trust me, anything is an upgrade from what I have now. Thanks again.

Even most of us with amps can't turly air out the speakers all the way. Darn kids, wife, well you get the picture, lol.

Lucky for me, I only have the neighbors to worry about--I'll leave them a "p*ssing off the neighbors" t-shirt when I move (ha ha)!

As for the wife, kids, and pictures of them all, it's just me for now, so I don't have to worry about sleeping in the back yard--I knew one day I'd eventually find the silver lining to being single! ;-)

Everytime the the power is increase 10x, the SPL will increase by 10 db:

watt = 90dB

watts = 100dB

100watts
= 110dB

This reminds me of how quick you can run out of amplifier power. I agree with some of the other post on increased dynamic as a goal and not volume. Most Klipsch speaker can get really loud but the detailed sound is what's best.

And remember every 10dB increase in SPL is preceived by us humans as a doubling of volume. So in the example from 90 to 110db it got 4 times louder but the amplifier power went up 100 times!

Flicker, Again 1st: I would get the best speakers I could now, 2nd: Try and get a better AVR and make sure it has pre-outs, 3rd: look into finding a good external amp, however once you do this your fate will be sealed. :) If you are still concerned you can E-mail or call Klipsch directly and they will tell you exactly what to be concerned about. The Klipsch speakers are so effecient I think you will have hearing damage before you would damage the speakers, even at 100 watts. Sorry about the long post, hope this helps.

KlipschHT,

Please, never apologize for a lengthy post, at least not to me--I appreciate the thorough explanation from you, among others, a great deal! Thanks. I do have one question for you, however: If I buy my intended set of Klipsch speakers, and I upgrade down the road with a better, more powerful receiver, and I purchase a solid amp, you said that my "fate will be sealed. :-)" I'm guessing you equate that level of commitment to selling my soul to the devil?--I will forever be indebted to the AV HT Gods??? ;-)

If so, should I bring a bandage for when I sign in blood? ;-)

Bandages could be necessary. [:D] However, I meant once you start with seperates and hear the extra dynamics that you get from a "real" amp, you will not go back to the amps in an AVR. That is how I have felt, I had my Yamaha AVR for 10 years and thought that it sounded great, 75 watts per channel, moved up to the Onkyo 140 watts per channel and thought little improvment, added an amp and WOW! I wish I had something analyitical to say about it but instead it is just subjective, and that is it adds "punch" and more detail to your movies. Also I upgraded to the Klipsch Reference series speakers and that had a significant impact also. [:)] I have, and most here have also, already sold our souls and are always willing to help others join us. [6]

• 3 weeks later...

Ivan,

I don't know if you have your heart set on a B&K amp(I love them by the way).

If you want to enter the world of seperates for little $$$, here you go.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-nad-925thx-5-channel-power-amplifier-2012-10-29-amplifiers-85268

I owned one of these NAD amps(sold to JTubbs) and it was definitely more powerful and impactful than you would expect from 125w/ch(all channels driven) and 200w/ch(stereo). I am sure if you were to only use the front three channels, the power would be close to 175w/ch(3 channels).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380485706923?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

A bit more $$$ but a decent price for this B&K, not great but okay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190746730257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This 5-channel Acurus is the "baby" brother to the Acurus A200FIVE that I am very pleased with. Very good deal if it stays below $550.00 IMO.

Bill

^^^I appreciate the links. I think a 3 channel would be plenty for me at this point tho if I was to go for an amp. I have been thinking about it for some time tho since I got on this site. I need to save up some cash and then do my shopping. I still want a second sub too...

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/166089.aspx

This was originally posted in Aug. and last commented on Oct 17. It was a 140w/8 ohm 3 channel amp. Is is most likely gone. But there is good new, I purchased my amps right after x-mas and found some nice deals. People get new stuff and just want to get rid of some of the older stuff. Bill spotted a nice amp. Just let the forum know when you are ready and we are here to help. Some of these guys on the forum have a real eye for targeting great deals.Before I spend more money I might ask Bill and Youthman for some help, lol[:)]

^^^I appreciate the links. I think a 3 channel would be plenty for me at this point tho if I was to go for an amp. I have been thinking about it for some time tho since I got on this site. I need to save up some cash and then do my shopping. I still want a second sub too...

You
would get more wow from a 2nd sub first imo.

• Moderators

You
would get more wow from a 2nd sub first imo.

That's a toss up but I agree that adding my 2nd sub really added a lot more impact to my room. I used to hear the bass, now I feel it. [:D] It has smoothed out the bass response across my room too which is an added benefit for everyone.

Adding my amp was a great upgrade too, better separation of instruments for music, crystal clear even at reference levels, and added bass even at low volumes.

Either way is a good choice.