What's up with HDMI handshake

allgonoshow

I bought a used Onkyo TX-NR809 in the spring and had nothing but trouble with it.

It started out being slow to switch from Blueray to Cable , then it wouldn't switch at all, or wouldn't give me any signal to the TV from either source

Did a lot of research and apparently HDMI handshake[lack of] is a common issue and not just with Onkyo. In the end I had to pull the power plug for a few hours and it would work for awhile. Anyway, i took it in for non warranty service and they say they can't fix it.

So I bought a brand new NR818 last week and it is doing the exact same thing.

I just watched a Blue ray movie and then wanted to watch the Charlotte race and no signal to Tv.

It is not a cable issue as the Onkyo logo appears

on the Tv screen, I have swapped the cables several times as well.

So now I have to take the new one back and insist the replace it rather than send it in for warrnty service.

If they send it in for service I am without my system for who knows how long.

Any techies out there that know what is up with this stuff?

Should I get a refund an change brands? If so, what?

I'm guessing since you have the same problem with a new receiver that the fault lies elsewhere. Have you tried a factory reset on both the tv and the blu-ray player?Also if you haven't already, use a different hdmi input on the tv if available.

Quote ...I'm guessing since you have the same problem with a new receiver that the fault lies elsewhere. Have you tried a factory reset on both the tv and the blu-ray player?Also if you haven't already, use a different hdmi input on the tv if available.

good suggestion, I'll will check both tomorrow.

When the 809 was acting up I put my older 708 in the system and it worked perfectly

Yippie,

I swapped all the cables with known good ones, then swapped the cable box and voila,

had a picture, I put the old cable box back in and wiggled the coax and sure enough, it has an intermittant

connection. Hopefully that's all it is. Maybe the nr809 was a victim of the same problem, but I don't thing

so as there were other issues all well. It would be nice if the nr809 worked, I could sell it.

By the way, I sold the used Anthem avm50 pre/pro I bought earlier, too complex for me and no usb or networking.

I kept the Anthem 5 channel amp and am using it with the Nr818, althought it may not need it, it can't hurt.

• Moderators

I know the UMC-1's handshake via HDMI works but it sure isn't smoothe. Very jerky, screen goes blue, but it does lock on after about 5 seconds after switching sources. You would think they would be able to get that worked out.

Apparently part of the issue is that the standards are not well written and therefore the various manufactures are not on the same page. That's what I found trying to fiqure out my 809.

I believe it had an hmdi board failure rather than just being flakey switching. In the end it won't switch at all without a power down.

I have been through various handshake issues lately with an

hdmi splitter and the darbee. The splitter wasn’t pulling up 1080p/24. Was just

basic 1080p which is fine for everything but blu rays. It worked when I first

got it but then for whatever reason stopped working out of nowhere. So I upgraded

it a little and no problems so for but fingers are crossed every time I power

on lol. Never had a problem tell I put all these extras in the system (hdmi

switch box, hdmi splitter, and darbee).

I have had the same issue with handshaking after I had to tear my system down and start again. I went throug 3 HDMI cables before either I got lucky and it worked or until which ever connection in the cables that carry the handshake, connected and all worked again.

I also have had lots of issues with adding in splitters, switch boxes etc. It can be nice and it can be a pain in the back side for sure.