5.1 and HDMI w/ return channel, it this out there without going to an AVR?

JL Sargent

Here you go.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARNR1402/MARANTZ-NR1402-Slimline-5.1ch-AV-Receiver-w/HDMI-3D-ready/1.html

I think it meets all of your requirements.

MARANTZ NR1402 Slimline 5.1ch AV Receiver w/HDMI & 3D-ready

Power and Processing:
  • 50 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
  • Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio
  • Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® six-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
  • M-DAX™ (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sounding MP3s and other digital music files
Digital Music Options:
  • wireless Bluetooth® capability with optional Marantz Bluetooth receiver
Audio Performance Features:
  • 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
  • direct mode switches off unnecessary circuitry to provide cleaner sound
  • detachable power cord
Connections:
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (4 in, 1 out)
  • HDMI version 1.4 with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
  • Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
  • component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
  • digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
  • 4 audio/video inputs with composite and component video
  • 1 audio-only input
  • 1 front-panel minijack input for connecting a portable music player
  • no phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
  • 1 pair of main speaker outputs
General Features:
  • on-screen display for easier system setup and operation
  • first-time setup wizard
  • sleep timer
  • HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
  • 30 AM/FM presets
  • multibrand remote
  • 17-5/16"W x 4-1/16"H x 14-9/16"D
  • weight: 18.1 lbs.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Just to followup on this: I did order the one Bill pointed to above and from that internet seller as well. After I get it going I'll post here what I think about it.

I hope this Marantz works out for you. I noticed it about a week before you solicited some suggestions and it did peak my interest.

Bill

• 5 months later...

So all of a sudden the Blu Ray pass through is not working. I've tried a PS3 and a Samsung Blu Ray player. Both work directly with the TV and both will not work through the Marantz??? Anbody got a clue? Audio works but no video. What is the security BS that these things have to do?

Hmm, can't get video out of this receiver anywhere. HDMIs are dead with video, video out connector a no go too. Menu system for receiver has no video out (only works on receiver screen). Disappointing that it lasted 6 months. It is a refurbished unit that comes with a 1yr warranty so maybe I can get it repaired.

I own 5 marantz receivers, sometimes they need a good hard reset to get things back on track again. With the unit in the off/standby state hold down enter and return at the same time. Press the power button and continue to hold enter and return until the display flashes. Then release all buttons as shown here http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?FileName=DocumentMaster/US/NR1402N_ENG_CD-ROM_v00.pdf I've never had to do this to my 1402s but once to my 7007 and a couple times to the 1602. Hope this helps. Also check settings on the connected devices to make sure nothing has changed. I created an infinite cycle of confusion once with hdmi control being enabled on 2 receivers connected togeather.