The price of UPS and FedEX shipping.

Daddy Dee

It's been a while since I was doing alot of shipping, so maybe it'a VanWinkle thing. Seems like I woke up and UPS and FedEx shipping prices are through the roof.

Used to have a UPS account online account which was really convenient. After several years set up another one several months ago to ship a receiver. Thought it was pretty pricey, but FedEx was nearly as much.

A few weeks ago a forum member was shipping a nice pair of wood horns. Good size package, but not really too heavy. The price was hurting $40 for UPS or FedEX. USPS parcel post was $15 and change. The package arrived in pristine condition.

This week I was setting up a 2 lb package about 1/3 the size of a shoebox and it was $20 on UPS. $6.30 for Priority Mail.

Maybe this is why USPS is going under, but I'm shipping stuff I'd never have imagined taking to the Post Office.

Anyone else notice this? Of course, one might expire standing in line and no one would notice.

Back in the day, the online UPS account was cheaper than going to a UPS store and paying retail. It seems, no more.[:(]

I, for one, would be willing for my tax dollars to go to the P.O. to keep rates low.

Me, too, and low for lower income folks and shippers of lower cost items. Congress doesn't seem very tuned in to rural/small-town personal, social, and business needs.

I was returning an item a few days ago that Fedex had previously delivered. The box was sitting just outside my front door with a prepaid Fed-X label and a large note affixed to the box that said 'FEDEX PICK-UP'. The Fedex driver delivered another item and leaned the new item against the return shipment and returned to his truck and left.

Keith

If you a re sending any records, cd's or dvd's via the Post Office don't forget to ask for Media Mail. Those rates are ridiculously low. A for real bargain.l

This is true. However, be prepared for you package to travel at the speed of a camel crossing the desert.... lol.

It's been a while since I was doing alot of shipping, so maybe it'a VanWinkle thing. Seems like I woke up and UPS and FedEx shipping prices are through the roof.

Used to have a UPS account online account which was really convenient. After several years set up another one several months ago to ship a receiver. Thought it was pretty pricey, but FedEx was nearly as much.

A few weeks ago a forum member was shipping a nice pair of wood horns. Good size package, but not really too heavy. The price was hurting $40 for UPS or FedEX. USPS parcel post was $15 and change. The package arrived in pristine condition.

This week I was setting up a 2 lb package about 1/3 the size of a shoebox and it was $20 on UPS. $6.30 for Priority Mail.

Maybe this is why USPS is going under, but I'm shipping stuff I'd never have imagined taking to the Post Office.

Anyone else notice this? Of course, one might expire standing in line and no one would notice.

Back in the day, the online UPS account was cheaper than going to a UPS store and paying retail. It seems, no more.Sad

Here's the thing, the price of diesel is up to record levels. All shipping stuff is either diesel or jet A kerosene.

Why usps is going under is that the bread and butter stamps are at a record low. The 45 cent stamp is being killed off by online bill payment which is free or e checking/online banking. Another thing that is rather interesting is the Government requires all new hire postal people to have their pensions paid in advance. http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2011/nov/11/sanford-bishop/bishop-signs-letter-saying-post-office-faces-big-p/

Another thing to think about that shows how interconnected everything is in today's world. When the US air carriers threatened to shut down services after 9/11 the government bailed them out. Many people were outraged because they said let the airlines fail. But taking that approach shows the lack of depth of knowledge. The post office owns 0 yes Zero airplanes. UPS and FedEx owns many 757, MD11, etc but the Post Office owns absolutely no airplanes. Why is that? The founding of airports were originally not for passenger travel but for mail routes to the west. It was the fastest for of communication over the broad expanse of western America. The first national air routes were designed to service mail routes and only after a decade or two did the first commercial air routes come into existence. This has kept on with the USPS still relying on private carriers to transport first class mail. Before you and your luggage boards a plane, some planes you will see load up USPS containers that are holding thousands of first class postage letters. The carriers and the USPS have agreements and thus if an air carrier were to fail it would disrupt mail service. Back in 2002 and such when the American Government bailed out the US air carriers, electronic bill payment was in its infancy. Hell dial up was still prevalent throughout most of America at the time so by having an Air Carrier stop doing a service they would have had thousands if not millions of unpaid bills and such. Who would be to blame, the sender who claims they sent it or the receiver blaming the customer that never received the payment? What would that do, it would cause even more economic downfall then the already bligthed tech stock bubble that bursted.

You say why not allow another carrier to do the route, well air routes in America are not free market even after deregulation. The air carrier must submit a plan to do said air route and the air route must be approved by various local, state, and federal governments and meet all such noise, emmissions, etc. In the past airlines have gained air routes only to resell them but then lose the license because they could not meet the various requirements. When JetBlue gained their air certificate, they had to take on unprofitable air routes in NY to be able to gain access to JFK Airport. So in the whole host of problems, why the USPS is failing is not an easy answer nor fix to do.