DUAL 1239A Restoration

germerikan

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Thorens td-166 mkII, I have the ED Saunders shure v15/3 fitted on this, though mine has a slight bend in the drive motor. I think this thing sounds wonderful, its hard to explain but I all ways think of how wonderful Pink Floyd sounds on this player it brings a tear to my eye every time I play them. I will be picking up a dual 1019 sometime after the first of the year but will look for a bargain as I don't need the base and will have it sent to doctor dual to be refurbished. I will let you know how it plays out down the road. For the price of some of these mid level tables I don't see how the sound could be beat by anything else but thats just my opinion.

Good luck and be patient as the right deal will come along for you.

I have herd that the Marantz 6300s are wonderful players I think at the right price it would be worth it but if you could get a Thorens or refurbished Dual you would be just as happy if not happier.

I always wanted to get my hands on a Technics SL 110 or 120 in great condition and outfitted with a nice SME 3009 arm. I just prefer the direct drive turntables due to the noticeable absence of rumble normally associated with them, as compared to belt drives.

In Italy, 1973-1976, I had a Thorens TD125, and shortly afterwards an Empire 598 Trobadour...and settled into a Technics SL1300 (yes, you read that right!), which I still have!...but I would rather have the 110 or 120 as mentioned above.

Everyone has preferences, and this is mine!

-Andy

Thanks for the input, those are some nice looking decks!!

I am willing to go up to 80€ and to be honest I don´t really need a new deck but the sony I have is "ok" but I would like to try out a mid-upper class model. Any certian Dual model to look for? There are many here to choose from.

Oh and for TT I am a noob

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the table cleaned up

Posted Image

So I can start on the Plinth now.

Posted Image

Here is the layout, I am using 8 ply for this.

Posted Image

Here is the raw material for the box itself, Canadian Maple. It is a little thick but I think it will come out good.

Posted Image

There are watermarks but those will be sanded out I like the texture.

Posted Image

First cuts but the dang saw did not go all the way through and I had to use mine came out good though.

Posted Image

Coming along good.

Posted Image

Rough cut, still have to plane, Router and sand. What is suggested for sanding 120, 240 and finer??

Posted Image

I tried to keep the growth rings aligned, I think this will look great (Iffin I dont mess it up)

Posted Image

I have to borrow a plane and hopefully I can continue next week.

The weather is the same where i live. Used to live in Florida, now it goes from clear to fog to rain to clear to rain to fog all in a temperature range from -3c to 9c in one day it's ridiculous......Umbrella

Yeah so much for a White Christmas, we were looking forward to it now it is a grey brown blah Christmas.