Does klipsch make their own drivers /woofers ?

Bob G : does klipsch source these out to an outside firm or are they produced in-house ? If farmed out, and not a trade secret, who makes them ? The parts are top quality and pretty durable. The performance of klipsch speakers in general is well, just amazing for such a price point. That includes the promedia / quintets up to the klipschorn.cwm7.gif

Out sourced -

I emailed Bob about the Reference drivers last week, and apparently -- it's a trade secretSmile.gif

The fact that the Heritage stuff was put on hold for so long due to supply problems also indicates that these drivers are out-sourced as well.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

Prior to the beginning of the KG series, Klipsch outsourced for ALL of its drivers and woofers...but with the KG series, they began to make some of their woofers...I don't know how long they did it, or if any of the woofers or drivers for horns are still made by them...but they DID do it for awhile on some models...but never on the Heritage models!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Matter of fact, back when Klipsch bought that driver making equipment, I was working there. They used up the supplies of parts that they had aquired with the equipment to train-up some employees in building drivers. The good drivers were tested, and then offered to employees for 15 bucks a pair. I still have a pair of em. They are only little 6 inch woofers, but they weigh about 4-5 lbs apiece...magnet on em is as large as woofer cone!!

Like I said, they built some of the drivers for the early KG series, but I don't know how long they continued to build drivers, or if they still do build any...I do, however know that they still outsource for drivers...that is the logical way to go...you can always changeover to a better driver when you encounter one that way...instead of having to re-tool to make it!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

We do outsource most all drivers to companies that have state of the art manufacturing and R&D facilities. Though there is some panache to 'doing it all in-house', we truly believe we can offer better performance (let alone better value) by working with companies that build millions (literally) of drivers each year. They can afford to do the R&D and go down the many dead ends that are part of that process. Then we benefit by obtaining the choice of best technologies.

In the early days of high fidelity, it was standard practice for speaker companies to buy drivers from driver companies. Speaker companies didn't build drivers, with a very few exceptions. Since Klipsch was around very near the beginning, this approach has always seemed natural to us and we haven't adopted the marketing approach of bragging that we build drivers in-house.

Who builds our drivers? Lots of different companies; and we are constantly working with new ones to give you the best we can.

CAN'T YOU SEE IT'S BOSE!!!s>

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Like most manufacturers Klipsch sources its drivers etc. from third party suppliers

Those suppliers also supply ingredients to many other companies but the drivers designed to Klipsch's specs are not routinely available to the public.

For example Rolls Royce,(at one time or another), got its engines from Chrysler - Its brakes from Citroen etc.

Klipsch designs the sytems and relies on its suppliers to supply the drivers that will meet Klipsch's requirements.

Klipsch provides the specifications and the suppliers supply the required components subject to Klipsch's acceptance. The point being that Klipsch works with their own designers and the driver manufacturer's engineers to create drivers that result in the finest speakers on the planet when mated to Klipsch cabinet designs - some would say at a given price point - but I say the best.

BTW - Designing optimal enclosures even one is able to custom order drivers is no mean feat.

This message has been edited by lynnm on 06-15-2002 at 10:12 PM

BUT!

Is it domestic (USA) or forign?

I mean, it could be some cheap Chinese krap, or Seas/Scan Speak?

It would be fun to hack into Klipsch and see what they pay for a RF-7 10" woofer, like $20...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

(BobG) We do outsource most all drivers to companies that have state of the art manufacturing and R&D facilities.

(jw sidebar) they go to China like everyone else

(BobG) Though there is some panache to 'doing it all in-house', we truly believe we can offer better performance (let alone better value) by working with companies that build millions (literally) of drivers each year.

(jw sidebar)-> to make good transducers it takes

engineering and alot of capital equipment, investments that the LLC isn't willing or can't make. Besides it's easier to make MDF boxes, stuff them with cheap drivers and then charge 20X the basis cost. Do you think the *average* customer even cares?

(BobG) They can afford to do the R&D and go down the many dead ends that are part of that process. Then we benefit by obtaining the choice of best technologies.

(jw sidebar)-> what R&D??? where are these *labs*?

In reality, China can re-engineer and copy designs faster than anyone else, if you can't beat em....

(BobG) In the early days of high fidelity, it was standard practice for speaker companies to buy drivers from driver companies. Speaker companies didn't build drivers, with a very few exceptions.

(jw sidebar)-> EV, Jensen, Altec, Trusonic, Hartley, JBL, Bozak, Wharfedale, Utah, KEF, Permoflux, University, Tannoy, etc.. all built their own drivers. KEF even poured their own magnets. What *early* days of high fidelity are we referring to here?

(BobG) Since Klipsch was around very near the beginning, this approach has always seemed natural to us and we haven't adopted the marketing approach of bragging that we build drivers in-house.

(jw sidebar) PWK was one guy, with a saw in a shed in Hope, AR. Not really in a position to start a raw driver manufacturing company! Also, the Klipschorn *has* suffered over the years from seemingly endless driver changes, each with inconsistent results, all driven by outside supplier issues. the woofer, mid-range and tweeter alone have gone thru seemingly

endless revision histories that, in some instances, made the unit sound worse.

(BobG) Who builds our drivers? Lots of different companies; and we are constantly working with new ones to give you the best we can.

(jw sidebar)-> cost reduction pressures are the same in the mass market speaker biz as they are everywhere else. it all comes dowm to $$$. it's Lung Cho Chan LLC one day and then Cho Chin Ling LLC the next.

"(jw sidebar) they go to China like everyone else"

I think the better stuff is made by KSC in Mexico. KSC also does most of the stuff for Polk too.

http://www.kscind.com/kscind/main.htm

Albert Von Schweikert

History

While at the California Institute of Technology, Albert worked under the tutelage of Dr. Richard Heyser, who at the time was using the lab to develop a new measurement system, later called Time Delay Spectrometry.

In 1982, the Cal Tech research led to a position with ESS laboratories with Dr. Oscar Heil, inventor of the Heil Air Motion Transformer (AMT).

From 1987 to 1989, Albert worked as a driver designer and quality assurance engineer with KSC Industries, the second largest driver manufacturer in the world. During his time with KSC, he worked on more than 100 projects for companies such as Apogee, Bose, Cerwin Vega, JBL, Jensen, NHT and Paramount Pictures.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/db99main.htm

This message has been edited by djk on 06-20-2002 at 06:25 AM