A new Tesla? Edison? Da Vinci? Perhaps even greater?

Mallette

And young and walking amongst us.

My own musings on space, energy, and such have received general giggles here in the past.

Elon Musk's plans make mine look pretty mundane and rather short on imagination. Furthermore, here's a "billionaire" who has NEVER been a billionaire and has spent himself to near zero at least twice to achieve his goals. I've a better fix now on why he named his car the "Tesla" and I suspect Nicolai is likely his idol. IMHO, he will well surpass Tesla's accomplishments and may eventually be regarded as unique.

SpaceX is in the black and will be increasing its profits from now on. Tesla Motors is looking very good as well, after nearly going under.

He's recently corrected the stories of his plan to establish a colony on Mars of 80,000 people that he really meant to say 80,000 PER YEAR. How's that for certifiably INSANE?

If that weren't crazy enough for you, he's made it clear he sees little future in Martian exports of whatever, and that the colony will be simply that...a colony.

More "down to earth" but undoubtedly still insane sounding to the average person is his "hyperloop" to transport folks on demand from LA to SF in 30 minutes. Elon says what is "insane" is the current plan to build the world's slowest high speed rail system for this same purpose at 60 billion dollars. He claims 6 billion for his idea.

Until they close the padded cell door behind him, I think I'll take the guy at his word. It's been pretty reliable so far.

This is the best overall sketch of him I've seen.

I am more enthused about our prospects in space now than at any time since the last Apollo mission. Further, Musk, Diamondis, Bezos, Rutan, Branson, et al, represent a rebirth of the "there isn't anything Americans can't do" pioneering attitude that made this country what it is and may yet propel us to new heights that will benefit every human on this planet. Musk has made it clear that there is no business case whatever for a Mars colony. Just a dream worth pursuing, and pursuing out of his own pocket if that's what it takes.

"I'd like to die on Mars. Just not on impact." Elon Musk.

THAT's a 21rst century man worth following.

Dave

post-9494-13819824925344_thumb.jpg

I think that there have been some who were just too "forward" thinking. Tesla comes to mind first.

Edison looked first out how to monetize and profit from an invention. Tesla never considered how to get rich off of something thinking instead of the "greater good". This would be why Tesla died pennieless in a hotel and Edison died a very rich man.

Yes... I've been a student of both of them for many many years.

Mr. Musk has had an extraordinary run to date. I hope he keeps it up. He's exactly the kind of "visonary" that our country and our industry needs.

My hope is that he doesn't get tagged with the "too forward" thinking thing that wrecks future works the way Tesla's did.

Edison looked first out how to monetize and
profit from an invention. Tesla never considered how to get rich off of
something thinking instead of the "greater good". This would be why
Tesla died pennieless in a hotel and Edison died a very rich
man.

Agreed! [Y]

Tesla's genius wasn't in the grandeur of his accomplishment, but rather the exquisite detail of his journals and his candid generosity in disseminating the findings of his research.

Many people were, and are, on the same path as he regarding uncorking the power of nature. Tesla simply was the most funded and documented in the field at the time.

Vertical jets? Where we are really headed...we won't need them. [;)]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr8kKRauEzHm0jPHtOQ7D

My hope is that he doesn't get tagged with the "too forward" thinking thing that wrecks future works the way Tesla's did.

A point. OTOH, if he continues to work with his own money...which Tesla didn't...what difference does it make? His work to date is already as "certifiably insane" as Tesla's but he's sidestepped every landmine so far.

He is 41. I find that incredible.

Dave

A super high speed tube would be mighty scary with terrorism and all that. A couple of hillbillies tried to blow up a bridge the other day with a bomb they bought from the FBI undercover agents. They were mad at big business or some such nonsence. I would rather take my chances on the Mars mission.

A super high speed tube would be mighty scary with terrorism and all that.

Yeah. Let's surrender if it will keep us safe. [;)]

The 60 billion dollar "high" speed train that is being seriously considered for this purpose doesn't seem like it would be any safer from that threat.

Musk hasn't leaked any details. However, he's indicated it's crash proof. While anything is possible, the only thing I can think of in that category would be some sort of pneumatic tube such that any loss of pressure causes anything inside to just stop.

Wouldn't attempt to defend that, as it is shear speculation, but I'd emphasize this guy hasn't made claims in the past he couldn't realize and in this case he's not only state what, but how much it will cost. Whatever it is, I suspect it's practical.

He was roundly giggled at when he said he'd have a launch system ready in 5 years that would be profitable, same for the Tesla, which appears to be nearing profitability. Bear in mind the Tesla totally outperforms the Chevy Volt in every regard and the Tesla was "bootstrapped" while the Volt had all the resources of the biggest and oldest auto manufacturer in the world.

If he was selling stock, I'd buy some.

Dave

The Tesla model S was just named Motor Trend car of the year, and "Automobile" of the year. Thats scary!!. The Model S performance version=4766lbs, 0-60 in 4 sec. 12.4 1/4 mile@ 112.5mph and 133mph top speed and has 416hp 443lb-ft..... (250 patents) an AC induction motor(16,000rpm redline) with 85-kW-hr lithium-ion battery and what looks like around 265 miles per charge....... "Tesla's first clean-sheet design won car of the year. now what" [:o].....Motor Trend. Tesla unveiled plans to build 5 Supercharger stations connecting L.A to Vegas and San Fran. Then San Fran to Reno, with a sixth at SpaceX's Hawthorne factory. The stations will be pumping DC energy at 80kW-hr through "veritable electron fire hoses". Thats about 150-160 miles in range on a 30min charge. The stations will be sun powered with roofs covered in Musk's Solar City photovoltaic cells. The charges are free to anyone that owns the Model S with the 85 and 60kW-hr battery cars. Tesla predicts 100 charge stations nationwide by 2015. And that you could cross the country without your wallet, as long as your in the right car..........This sparked a memory......Does anybody remember in the 80's that cool exhibit at EPCOT with all those amazing concept cars of the future???.....I freaking loved that....[Y]

If the public got behind Musk like they did last nights Powerball think where we might go and how fast.

Yessir. Our citizens have gradually come to focus on bright, shiny objects. However, Musk has single handedly already surpassed the government in space and unless fate steps in is likely to make up for the malaise that began when Nixon and his successors on both sides of the aisle gradually dismantled Apollo, NERVA, the SCSC, Constellation and so many other projects that gradually destroyed national vision and pioneering spirit.

I pray for his good health. Of course, there's also Planetary Resources, Blue Origin, Virgin Galactic, and such but SpaceX is truly extraordinary.

The next few decades are going to be the most important in all human history and change everything. I am spending a lot of time discussing these things with my son. He's increasingly interested in setting sail for new worlds. I believe he will...

Dave

Sir Richard Branson is certainly a visionary, but he's English, not American.

But Rutan is. OTOH, I don't care if he is a Klingon as long as he continues his work. In spite of some of my references to Yankee ingenuity and such, this is about HUMAN progress, not who's planting a flag somewhere.

Dave

Sure, but when a list of very successful people is described as an example of what American attitude can do, and two of them aren't American (Branson and Musk), it looks like poor research or jingoism.

Wherever those folks came from, their ideas do seem to benefit a great number of people, across many borders.

Sure, but when a list of very successful people is described as an example of what American attitude can do, and two of them aren't American (Branson and Musk), it looks like poor research or jingoism.

As I said, I am for efforts such as this regardless of where they originate. OTOH, there is a reason that both Virgin Galatic and SpaceX are on American soil. Franlin Chang Diaz, head of Ad Astra, was born and raised a Costa Rican. He got here as soon as he could...

Dave