A Holiday Smokers (barbeque) Delight

thebes

If you belong to Costco, and smoke meat, this time of the year is for you. Available only during the holidays, Costco sells a Kirkland/Smithfield Hams 8 rib roast pork that is absolutely made for smoking. Cost between $20 and $30 and I like the the lower priced ones because they have less white meat. I've probably done a dozen or so by now so I, and my ever expanding belly, knows what of I speak.

There's several steps to making this come out perfect.

1. Get rid of most of the fat and the silvery thing on the the top of the roast. For some reason this particular fat does not have a good mouth feel when cooked. There is still enough fat elsewhere on to keep things moist, and removing it means the rub will penetrate better.

2. Rub-a-dub-dub and let season overnight. I love the rub given below to which I add a healthy dose of sage on the bottom of the roast.

3. The usual low and slow with your favorite wood, and you may want to finish up in the oven to control the final temperature. I also use a pan of water which I believe helps keep the meat moist. VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT overcook. Pull from the oven and rest at no higher than 140 degrees and maybe a smidge less. Under no circumstances cook this to the old government recommendation of 160 degrees or it will be like eating a desert.

The dry rub is a red rub store bought at home and made for Dinosaur Bar B Que of Syracuse, New York. It works great with this roast.

All-Purpose Red Rub:

1/2 cup paprika

1/2 cup kosher, again kosher, salt

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup granlulated garlic

6 tablespoons granulated onion

1/4 cup chile powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

post-14801-13819825435238_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT overcook. Pull from the oven and rest at no higher than 140 degrees and maybe a smidge less. Under no circumstances cook this to the old government recommendation of 160 degrees or it will be like eating a desert

All good advice but the part I quoted is VERY important, for years i did what I was told and brought it to 160, BAD idea.

When internal temp is 140 or a touch less like you said it's like a completely different piece of meat, so much better, much more tender and juicy. [Y] I do about the same exact thing with Boston Butt, but to 195-200 degrees, different cut it need to be that temp.

Great advice Thebes, looks good also nice smoke ring. [H]

Very kind words from Dtel, a known grillmaster.

The 160 degree thing was a necessary requirement back when pork routinely carried Triggernosis, which I think was a disease invented by Roy Rogers when he stuffed his horse. Anyways, that temperature was needed to kill those triggerthingies, so if you find yourself grilling pork overseas in say, a pork friendly country like Iran, cook the hell out of it. Maybe even in Canada, they're a pretty shifty bunch up there. Stateside, though, swine up and go for medium-rare.

Indeed, if you aren't go to eat it all in one go, I'd do 135 degrees,and eat in from each end, leaving you some wriggle room when re-heating.

3. The usual low and slow with your favorite wood, and you may want to finish up in the oven to control the final temperature. I also use a pan of water which I believe helps keep the meat moist. VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT overcook. Pull from the oven and rest at no higher than 140 degrees and maybe a smidge less. Under no circumstances cook this to the old government recommendation of 160 degrees or it will be like eating a desert.

FDA temperature guidelines changed recently

Meat

• Cook beef, veal, and lamb roasts and steaks to at least 145° F (63° C).

Ground Meat

• Cook ground beef, veal, lamb, and pork to at least 160° F (71° C).
  • Cook ground poultry to 165° F (74° C).

Poultry

• Cook all poultry to minimal safe internal temperature of 165° F (74° C).
  • Consumers may wish to cook poultry to a higher temperature for personal preference.

Pork

• Cook pork to an internal temperature of 145° F (63° C), with a 3 minute rest time.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/ucm082294.htm

Glad to hear that you can cook the pork to lower temps now. One of the first things I ate here in Germany in a resteraunt were pork chops, cut around 2 inches thick and done to medium rare. I almost freaked because my mom cooked them to death due to the triggerthingies (new favorite word). They explained to me the do not have that here and cook quite often to rare.

I dont eat them any way else now.

We don´t have Cosco here but I think I will be buying that cut very soon, it is only between -6 and -12C here now so I think I can still smoke.

I forgot to add, that for some reason these Smithfield/Costco cuts are a notch above your standard store bought bone-in center cut pork roast. I know I've tried doing that with not nearly as much flavor.

That looks great. On the temp thing, I have taken mine to 130 degrees, then off the smoker, wrap in tinfoil and in a cooler for another 45 minutes to an hour (I like to finish off chicken like this too). It turned out pretty good.

Great idea. After you wrap it in tinfoil, are you placing it in a (ice chest) cooler by itself?

• Moderators

yes, by itself. It will "finish cooking" without additional heat and no danger of drying out. It seems like the flavor works its way in to the meat better too.

That works well, I do that with the boston butts, good idea going to try pork loins that way.

• Moderators

After you wrap it in tinfoil, are you placing it in a (ice chest) cooler by itself?

Yes, some people put a towel on top to help slow the cooling (never tried that), with butts you leave it like that for a couple of hours, all the juices move back evenly in the meat, the same as letting a steak or other meat rest a little after cooking. I think that's the general idea. Good idea Wstrickland 1

After you wrap it in tinfoil, are you placing it in a (ice chest) cooler by itself?

Yes, some people put a towel on top to help slow the cooling (never tried that), with butts you leave it like that for a couple of hours, all the juices move back evenly in the meat, the same as letting a steak or other meat rest a little after cooking. I think that's the general idea. Good idea Wstrickland 1

Sounds like a great idea and I will do it when I get the meat. I'm going to smoke some pork ribs tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get the "Costco" meat today or next week and smoke it next Saturday.

• Moderators

We don't have Costco here, about as close as we can get is Sams, although we have had pork butts and loins from them at times and they were fine. We usually try to buy them by the case and keep them frozen until we use them being it's a little cheaper when you buy them like that. It seems to be just as good or better than some of the local stores. It would never go to waste around here.

Thebes, the water pan is a great thing. It does not keep the meat moist however, its main function is that it regulates the temperature from the fire, especially if you are using a cylindrical smoker.

Ah sensei, your humble student bows before your superior knowledge. I started out on one the cylindrical smokers and could tell the difference in the meat with and without the water pan, but I did not know that heat regulation was it's primary purpose. Makes sense to me sensei.

Oh, cooking time on this roast varies between two and a half to three and a half depending upon your rig, roast size, etc. so plan accordingly.