EV DX38 vs EV DC-One test comparison

mikebse2a3

For any DSP Active Crossover users that might be interested in either unit here are some test comparison showing how these units perform very close to each other on the same (KHJ-K402/TAD4002) program settings.

The EV DX38 = Red Curve

The EV DC-One = Blue Curve

Test between my units show the EV DC-One has about 0.7db to 0.9db more sensitivity/gain across the frequency spectrum shown.

One other observation is an insignificant slight difference in the 32Hz PEQ filter's actual center frequency with the (EV DC-One = 32.2Hz) and the (EV DX38 = 31.8Hz).

miketn

Here are the LF Channels comparison:

post-14473-1381982649532_thumb.jpg

Wow Mike - perhaps you should start an on-line magazine to compete with the "audiophile" mags.

Your prior waterfall decay tests of the stock vs. TAD compression K-402 drivers was the reason that I bought the TADs...sound unheard. That was one of the best decisions that I've made as it turns out (and you know the actual listening differences).

Thanks again.

Chris

Thanks Chris as you know from our other conversations I enjoy exploring the measured performance of a system to see how that correlates with the listening experience.

As I've said before from a sound quality aspect the EV DC-ONE is very good and easily the equal of the EV DX38 IMHO. For anyone familiar with the Yamaha SP2060 unit the EV DC-ONE is very similar in sound and use.

Now the analog level controls can be a very convient feature with the EV DX38 so that is one thing to consider since this can assist in the setting of a proper gain structure in a system. The EV DC-ONE along with most all other units "might" require proper attenuators to maximize the gain structure of the system with the use of some amplifiers(having no input level controls) for the reasons I mentioned previously such as high input sensitivity amplifiers (especially if they are also high power designs) used in systems with High Efficiency Speakers.

The EV DC-ONE has greater functional capabilities over the EV DX38 and in fact I'm able to include my (Cello Audio Palette simulated program for recording's EQ) along with the necessary settings for the Jubilee.

mike tn

• 2 months later...

EV DC-One is +21dBu max out, and 111dB dynamic range (un-wtd), which is a noise floor of -90dBu.

Dx38 has the same +21dBu max out, but 115dB dynamic range (typical), which is a "typical" noise floor of -94dBu. If "typical" means A-wtd, then that's -91dBu un-wtd.

I wonder how well these would work for attenuating DSP noise:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-244

In practical use you would probably never notice one is quieter than the other. More noticeable noise probably comes from amps with the gains turned up too much and a mis-adjusted gain structure.

I know my system can by noisy as a mad cat or very near dead silent........once I learned how to run it right. All the noise was coming from the amps.

I'd bet the DC-One isn't using gain ranging, which should offer better clarity on bass passages, and cleaner inner detail. That's why I've preferred the SP2060.

From what little time I've spent with the Yamaha I would rate it very good but not better than the EV DC-One.

For what it's worth I've owned both EV units for several years and am very pleased with the sound quality.

miketn

As I've said before from a sound quality aspect the EV DC-ONE is very good and easily the equal of the EV DX38 IMHO. For anyone familiar with the Yamaha SP2060 unit the EV DC-ONE is very similar in sound and use.

How quiet is it?

The EV DC-One is very quiet and should not be a source of noise. Paying atention to the gain structure of a system and attention to any ground loop issues for some users of active crossovers has been necessary in the past efforts I've seen on the forum.

As Mark pointed out attention to amplifiers used with High Efficiency (105db) horn systems is warranted in that high input sensitivity as well has high power output can lead to noise issues in such systems at times. Amplifier designers often never seem to take into consideration them being used with High Efficiency Loudspeakers but IMHO they should for the best design.

miketn