New to the community, looking for help

schleprock

[:D] Hello everyone.

I just joined the Klipsch community. For years I have been a Bose 901 fan. Recently bought some Klipsch speakers and will be selling my 901s. Anyhow I do not consider myself an audiophile, I am just a person that enjoys listening to music. I guess you could call me a product of the 70s. Mainly rock & roll, some other styles , but not much.

My main reason for joining, I would like to talk to people who understand electronics better than I do. I have limited knowledge of what componets work well together or for that matter what they do. And the lingo, well I am totally lost,(phono stage, mono block, ect, ect). I just want the music to sound great.

In the past two months I purchased a pair of Khorns from the late 70s and a pair of La Scalas from the early 80s. I am going to contact Bob Crites and order all new drivers and crossovers for both pair. I am buying these parts in order to give the speakers a new lease on life. The system I am currently running is two Sony str-GX10es. One for each set of speakers.

What I would like help with is adding more power ( wattage?). I was thinking a pair of Sony TA-N77es, however they are like looking for hens teeth. And then , is that what I need?

As I stated before, I dont know what componets go well together. I just sold a Onkyo m-504. I am thinking that may have been a mistake, I dont know. I am sure that I want a amp with the large vu meters, ( like looking at them purrdy lights).

Thanks to all who respond. I will make more post as my system gets reinvented.

Schleprock

Unless those drivers are toast, they would not need replacing unless you want to throw needless money around. If you do, shoot me either the old drivers or the money [:D] - your choice. Bob will likely tell you the same. There are many Khorns and LaScalas from the 70's and earlier without driver changes unless they were abused.

The most likely thing that will need to be done is to go through the k-horns and re-cap the crossovers. Maybe the LaScalas too but may not be really needed yet.

Other than that, enjoy them for a while and make sure what upgrades really make sense after you have gotten accustomed to the sound and have pin pointed what you would consider weaknesses.

I am in total agreement. If the drivers are working fine, i would leave them as is. i would start with Upgrading the caps first. enjoy them like this first and upgrade later.

Now having said that there may be some upgrades which are worth while, tweeters maybe, but i dont think you need to swap them all on wholesale.

There is some merit to doing upgrades, i think as the thread progresses you will get a better idea in a day or two. Im sure the Khorn owners will chime in at any moment and give you the "real goods"

Welcome, I agree as well start with the caps and give them a good month of listening. Then report back, amd we can all go over amp and pre amp, or receiver options.

It's not too difficult to get a feel for what those speakers can really do.

Go get separate components. Get a used amp for about $300, which sold new back some years ago for about $1,200. Get a used pre-amp for about $150, which sold new for about $600+. Get pretty much any CD player you want. Then, check it out.

For examples, you mentioned VU meters. The Pioner Spec series was pretty kick-butt. It would probably cost you a bit more to get a nice matching amp and pre-amp in that series - maybe $500 for the pair if you look (but I have seen them for less).

I am using a Yamaha M80 amp and C60 pre-amp (I think those numbers are correct). They work just fine.

I would shoot for a minimum 125 wpc to leave yourself plenty of headroom (the term for not trying to push your amp to clipping).

There are plenty of choices out there and a lot of very good stuff for cheap. This is one of the benefits of those efficient speakers you bought.

schleprock, your damm right it was a big mistake selling that onkyo, it would have blown your mind hooked to khorns or scala"s, especially if you were used to 901"s. I have a M-560 running chorus ll"s and its a beautiful thing. As other have said the drivers are prolly fine, you seem to have a little money to throw out there so call Bob and order complete x-over kits, it was 300 for my chorus, much easier route to just get complete kit, they are custom made to fit and you just bolt em in......Roost

Thanks for your post. The La Scalas have a raspy sound in the mids. I was thinking of replaceing all components just to ward off any near future problems with them. I know every one feels this is the wrong move, however life is to short ( not getting any younger ) and I just found the Klipsch sound. Dont want to waste any more time. Just wanting to see how these speakers sound in the 100% mode.

Like others have said start with the crossovers. If your going to replace anything just replace the diaphrams in the mid driver. I replaced my tweeters with crites and lowered the crossover point to 4500 but talk to Bob Crites for sure.You can also replace the woofer with crites cast frame woofers and then sell your original to forum member.Good luck with your quest. rick