Chorus ii or Quartet?

cayovelez

Look at it this way, you have the same design pair of speakers. One pair happens to be quite a bit larger. The Chorus II's can do everything the Quartets can do and more. On the other hand, the Quartets can perform at 75 to 80% of the level as the Chorus II but in a cabinet a little over 60% of the size of the Chorus II cabinet. Tough choice but it may just come down to room size and which pair are best suited for that room.

Bill

oops the Quartet and the Chorus ll have the exact same mid horn the Chorus ll has the K79 tweeter which is a little better better and the Chorus ll has the 15 inch passive and a fifteen inch woofer but the Quartet actually goes lower so if the Quartet plays loud enough then stick with the Quartet would be my suggestion. You can modify till the cows come home with either. A KLF20 woofer can be made to drop right into a Quartet sounds amazing deeo controlled bass. Nice size up on a four post stand looks like a million bucks.Looks like the speaker below up on a 14 inch high stand.Very nice. Good luck you have a tough decission to make. Best regards Moray James.

post-46582-13819829627352_thumb.jpg

The Quartet is almost 4 decilbles less sensitive @1watt/1meter. The specs say it will play 1 hz lower at 38 whereas the Chorus II is 39hz but since you own both you know that is almost hard to believe because the Chorus II seems to play lower as well. Basically the Chorus II does everything the Quartet does only bigger and better. Now if it is floor space you are looking for then the Quartet is the obvious choice. I will leave with the obvious disclaimer that this is IMHO.

oops the Quartet and the Chorus ll have the exact same mid horn the Chorus ll has the K79 tweeter which is a little better better and the Chorus ll has the 15 inch passive and a fifteen inch woofer but the Quartet actually goes lower so if the Quartet plays loud enough then stick with the Quartet would be my suggestion. You can modify till the cows come home with either. A KLF20 woofer can be made to drop right into a Quartet sounds amazing deeo controlled bass. Nice size up on a four post stand looks like a million bucks.Looks like the speaker below up on a 14 inch high stand.Very nice. Good luck you have a tough decission to make. Best regards Moray James.

For what its worth... Nice photo....

interesting question. conventional wisdom would recommend the tractrix mid horn on the Chorus II. Also the 15 will move more air.

You've been listening to them. best advice would be to choose your own fave and sell the other. which do you prefer?

Chorus II and Quartet have the same midrange tractrix horn.

I love them both. I have been powering them for a while with a proceed amp2 150 watts, with a Denon DAP-2500 balanced. To me both are pretty much the same just that the Chorus ii are a bit bolder. One thing that i think is odd is that I find the Chorus ii seem more musical, but never been able to tell if it is the mid difference or something else. In that same way, the bass on the quartet seem a bit more controlled than on the chorus ii, not saying louder just saying more controlled. I am just having a room issue and also can use the money of either speaker I choose to sell..times are different. Also, thanks for the input, I was leaning towards keeping the quartets, but Bruce has point.....

I have long argued that the Chorus II is the best bang for the buck in the extended Heritage lineup. If you have the space, keep the Chorus. Sell the Quartets, drop a new crossover & Titanium diaphragm into your Chorus's tweeters & live happily ever after. Good luck with your Solomonic decision.

My two favorite* speakers. The quartets are the most versatile and have a great sound. Small enough to be put almost anywhere. The Chorus II are larger (larger sound), but much more work to move. Depending on the situation, maybe you sell the chorus IIs because you can get more from them.

The "*" is due to not hearing everything. I with-hold my absolute final judgement because I have not heard the CF-3, CF-4, KLF-20, KLF-30. I could fall in love with their sounds I am sure.

I have had both the Chourus IIs and the Quartet. Both are pretty incredible speakers. BC mods to both. The Chorus IIs I feel are more room size/position dependent. Quality powerful amp is a must to get the woofer going. If you have that go with the Chorus II. The Quartet is very easy to set up and is not as power dependent although it will shine with it. The Quartet seems to have better dynamics and better balance at a lower volume level but if you are doing a little cranking The Chorus is just incredible.