My 86 La Scala [restoration]

soleful247

this morning, i made a 100+ mile drive and purchased a pretty worn down pair of la scalas for $380.

(blown diaphragms on the k77s, and blown diaphragm on one k55m and missing one midrange driver)

gonna try my hand at restoring them. i dont know if sanding and staining will be good enough. i've never reveneer'd something, but i might try it.. i havent decided yet.

Posted Image

after one round of 60 grit sanding:

Posted Image

Hi I re-veneered my Scalas not quite done yet but I used cherry veneer with Cherry stain. I also put magnets in the grill trim and metal under the veneer to hold the grills on. I sanded the dog house best I could and applied Cheery stain looks almost as good as the Cherry on the outside. http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/162640.aspx?PageIndex=1 Hope this helps...should be finishing the other one soon I hope. Rick

i saw a photo awhile back with a grill covering the whole face of the la scala, looked like a huge cornwall. i think im gonna go that route. hopefully the heritage speaker cloth that crites sells is wide and long enough to cover a whole la scala.

". . . like a huge Cornwall."

That is exactly what I would seek to avoid. Cornwalls look great, but the La Scala's best visual feature, it's dog house roof peak, should not be hidden behind a flat grille cloth. If grilles are used (not my preference), I prefer the angled Belle-like look favored by Greg, at Volti, and others. Greg's method of attachment also addresses the stiffening of sidewalls, which is a MUST (your mileage won't vary). It would be a shame for you to do such excellent work and fail to reinforce the sidewalls. I made that mistake.

This is only my opinion. There is no correct answer. Your choice will be correct for you.