Which Reference Speaker for Large Room?

Loudly Does It

So after some research and suggestions, I will not be upgrading to the Synergy but rather the Reference line. I will be demoing them within the next few days because I haven't heard them in a while. I have heard them before but the money situation wasn't right back then. Wellthe room they will be in is a rather large living room. 19x23 with 20' high ceilings to be exact. Now my questions is which ones would be best for such a large room. I think the 42s might be too small. Will the 52s or 62 do or will I have to step up all the way to the 82s? Thanks.

The 62 and 82s are both wonderful speakers and sensitive so with a receiver or amp you will get nice sound out of them in that room without too much power. If money is an issue the 62s will work just fine but if you can swing it id grab the 82s. I have never heard the synergy speakers before but I know the reference line well and they are absolutely astounding and the dynamics are sure to break a big barrier from synergy line. I did have a synergy 12 sub that had a down firing driver but I cant remember which one. Good luck on your quest its a fun road ahead.

I have owned every speaker you are asking about and currently own 42,52,62. If I were you I would stay away from the 42,52 as they just will lose their breath real quick in a room that big. Go with at least the rf-62's and rc-62. Make sure you buy from a dealer that will give you a good price. Panacea on here is forum member and also a dealer. Or call mike at acoustic sound design. Both will give you great prices. If you were looking at msrp and thought you could spend up to the rf-62's price I can assure you that they will get you the 82's for less than that.

• Moderators

My vote is for the RF-82's. They are great all around speakers and will have no problem filling that size room with great sound.

Don't forget to check your local Craigslist.

Here are a pair of RF-82ii for $750 - Link

He also has the RC-62ii, RS-52ii and Sub SW-112 listed - Link

Swap, quick question. Since you have such a large room, are you having an issue with bassiness from the center? My current set up does. Can't seem to get rid of it. Will the RC52 or 62 sound much better or do you have some kind of treatments, or setups for that? Thanks.

Loud, I am really happy with the RC-62 and the sound it produces. But I don't have much experience with many of the speakers in the Reference series. There are many here who be able to answer your questions comparing the Reference line of speakers.

I recently upgraded from Quintet II's to RF-82 home theater system and the XPA-5 amp. All I can say that the difference was amazing and the room gets filler with sound for sure.

I had a similar configuration for about a year. Quintets for rears and center with RF-82 II's for left and right with a Pioneer Elite VSX-52. I thought it sounded good until I completed the system with the RS-52s, RC-52 and the XPA-5. I wish I would have just added the speakers and left out the XPA-5 to get a feel for the sound with just the speaker upgrade. But I was impatient. I wanted to hear it all finished. Go figure!!

Having said that, the RS-52's sound great and I think they are paired with the RC-52 and RS-52's for the RF-82 II Home Theater System. So you should be good to go providing you have enough amp to drive them.

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-82-ii-home-theater-system

I had a similar configuration for about a year. Quintets for rears and center with RF-82 II's for left and right with a Pioneer Elite VSX-52. I thought it sounded good until I completed the system with the RS-52s, RC-52 and the XPA-5. I wish I would have just added the speakers and left out the XPA-5 to get a feel for the sound with just the speaker upgrade. But I was impatient. I wanted to hear it all finished. Go figure!!

Having said that, the RS-52's sound great and I think they are paired with the RC-52 and RS-52's for the RF-82 II Home Theater System. So you should be good to go providing you have enough amp to drive them.

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-82-ii-home-theater-system

you keep mentioning the rc-52 but I'm hoping you mean the rc-62. The rf-82ii, rc-62ii, and rs-52ii are a complete matching set.