Run away sub

McMiRA

So, tonight we rented skyfall and put it up in the theater room. In one of the last action scenes in the movie we had a sub decide it wasnt happy in its location (stacked subs) and jump face first to the floor. Good news is it still works. Bad news is it lost a foot. This brought up some concerns to the amount of movement we have going on with the subs and how much sound is being lost to this. Plan on building some stands/ racks for them now. Should they be strapped down or attached to the stands and decoupled from the floor? Or could I just use isolation pads between the top and bottom sub?

• Moderators

The wife yelling "oh ***" was more than a 3db gain

I actually laughed out loud on that one. That was awesome. In all seriousness, I hate that it went suicide on you. Hopefully there isn't too much cosmetic damage from the fall.

But, the real question at hand is how much gain do you get with a down-firing sub placed directly on the floor?

The gain depends on the type flooring, corner vs some other placement, ect. Advantage of down firing sub is less driver damage due to kids and increase stability due to driver orientation. I notice a significant gain using DYI risers, The risers are a cheap, fun project, look good and make the subs easy to move around.

I run my Empires stacked "about 120lbs each" but they don't move at all either. It sounds to me like your subs aren't capable of being stacked unless you put some weight on top of them. I guess you have three options, stack something heavy on top, unstack them, or upgrade them?

This started as light hearted thread about a boy and his suicidal subwoofer and that now turned into a personal attack on my magnificent $1499msrp(- additional 80% new egg discount with free shipping) balling on a budget subwoofa array. They were only doing as they were told. Who was to know they had slippery feet. OSHA should look into this and make another ridiculous ruling.:-p. on a more serious note they will be upgraded when I build the addition and make up my mind between heritage , thx ultra 2, or homebrew horns. The thread about the ppsl khorn got me thinking of la scala bottoms with an oris 150 clone on top and a couple tapped horns. My wallet is not going to survive this hobby. I BLAME ALL OF YOU!