Best used $4k crotch rocket?

Tremors

Also, I guess I was referring more to the styling then to the performance when I referred to what I want as "crotch rocket". Too me the 650R is a crotch rocket. Although I do understand the difference between it and a Ninja ZX-6. I suppose I'm looking for the middle ground between comfort and performance when it comes down to it, as well as the class that fits my price. Hence the wandering thoughts of cc size; 250? 300? 400? 500? 600?, as it seems that there are a lot of these size bikes that fall within my price range.

I see. Well, the two bikes I recommended in my first post strike that fine balance between super sport and some semblance of comfort and daily utility.

I don't want to sound like I'm making a plug for all out horsepower here, but I recommend shying away from <500 cc at this point for two reasons.

- Interstate passing power

- Riding two-up

Either the SV650, 650R, or even an EX500 sound more in-line with what you're looking for. Having ridden all three, I can tell you they great bikes for tooling around town and either will fly down a multi-lane without cause for concern. None is a "crotch-rocket" by any stretch of the imagination.

Either the SV650, 650R, or even an EX500 sound more in-line with what you're looking for. Having ridden all three, I can tell you they great bikes for tooling around town and either will fly down a multi-lane without cause for concern. None is a "crotch-rocket" by any stretch of the imagination.

I was going to recomend the SV 650. I sold a beautiful 2006 that was very close to mint (Exhaust has scratches from a previous owner tipover) with 8K miles for about $3k or so. They are very affordable. 70 HP and about 375 lbs. Big following too and about 55 mpg.

Not a rocket by any means, but I sold mine because it was so much fun to rev the little v twin up to 11 grand. Kept hitting triple digits when riding so I sold it. Compared to a Harley it will feel very fast, and it is a V twin so it has low speed torque (but generally keep it above 5K).

I have ridden it 500 miles in a day and was hurting after. The seat takes some getting used to. Personally, I'd take the Harley for the 500 mile trips or look at an FJR or Concours for longer riding (but more money). FWIW I sold the SV 650 and bought a BMW R1200RT and now have the best of both worlds. Just snap the bags on or off if you want to tour or go sport (I guess lower the windscreen and turn off the cruise, heated seats and grips for sport too [:D] ). 110 HP and 517 lbs.

....bought a BMW R1200RT and now have the best of both worlds.

~drool~ [H] How about that cruise control, eh? Consider me hooked. [Y]

Funny thing about them dress tourers. You show up to the dealership in full garb, on your own ride. Ask about a spin around the block on a sport bike and get, "Nope, not a chance!".

Inquire about the big hoss K1200LT... and they toss over the keys, with a casual reminder to top off the tank upon return. [*-)]

I hear ya. Great bike. That one was mint. Good torque and quiet for the most part, but with a nice kick in the drawers above 5k when the reeds and pipe would go all AC/DC.

Unfortunately, it was a casualty of college financing. Sold it late in the fall of '98 to very appreciative owner-collector. emotion-9.gif

With a fresh set of knobbies, it was all too easy to approach warp speed "off-piste" and explore the limits of its suspension. Covered a lot of rustic roads and trails on that machine.

It was ultimately succeded in the stable by a '78 KE175 and then a '96 XR250L.

post-42237-13819831234418_thumb.jpg

The modern sport bikes mostly have racetrack riding positions, so for everyday traffic use, they can be uncomfortable. The sport/touring, or even "standard" bikes like the Yamaha FZ6 and the Suzuki SV650 might suit you better.

I would not recommend a 250, unless you never plan to ride on the freeway or carry a passenger. It might seem less intimidating at first, but you'll outgrow it within a few weeks or months. Your best bet is to test ride some of the bikes you're interested in. It doesn't matter how cool it looks or makes you look; if it doesn't feel right to you, it will never feel like an extension of your body, and you won't reach the excellent level of control that is both more fun and safer.

The 500s, 600s, and 650s are not all that much heavier than 250s, but the extra power makes them more practical. Their longer wheelbases and usually better suspension components also make for a more comfortable and stable ride.

If you find the seat to be uncomfortable, you can usually find a Corbin or equivalent aftermarket seat that will be much more comfortable. The majority of guys I used to ride with had Corbin seats. I went with the "Gunfighter and Lady" model, since that one has a passenger section that was wide enough for my passengers to remain comfortable on a long ride.

When looking at a used bike and having a choice between a run-down model and a near-mint model, go for the better one, even if it's quite a bit more expensive. Restoring a scruffy bike (or car) can be very expensive and not result in any savings at all. It may also be less reliable, and breaking down on the road is never any fun.

These are the bikes I currently own: '71 Honda CB350, '73 Honda CB100, '74 Harley Sportster XLCH, '04 Vespa ET4 150. As you can see I'm into vintage bikes, problem is that they're not really comfortable at all. My wife won't ride on them with me which is why I bought the Vespa, she will ride on that. I've always enjoyed the styling of "crotch rockets" and sport tourers though. Despite having an overhaul done on the Harley which included it being bored over to about 1100cc, Mikuni 42mm carb, Drag pipes, Bigger highway gear, and some other performance upgrades....it lacks low speed torque, and it still lacks comfort. I'm looking for more comfort these days and a lot more "fun factor". So, I'm leaning towards the SV, 650R, 500EX type of bike. Any of these I presume, would be more flick able then what I'm used too and that's a big part of what I'm after.

....bought a BMW R1200RT and now have the best of both worlds.

~drool~ Cool How about that cruise control, eh? Consider me hooked. Yes

Funny thing about them dress tourers. You show up to the dealership in full garb, on your own ride. Ask about a spin around the block on a sport bike and get, "Nope, not a chance!".

Inquire about the big hoss K1200LT... and they toss over the keys, with a casual reminder to top off the tank upon return. Confused

They have confidence i ntheir product selling itself. The bigger bikes feel low and heavy to me. The RT really hits the right balance of weight, power, size, comfort, handling, etc.

To the OP, check out a Yamaha FJR or Kawasaki Concours. Sporty and your wife may like to ride on it too. Low mileage older ones can be had for a decent price.