April Fools

Tremors

WoWzA!! Check out this press release regarding the new Subatch (Subwoofer Watch).....I want one, no, I want TWO! One for each wrist :) "Meant for the most discerning of listeners. For those who wish to use ear buds for the ultimate sound experience but lack the tactile feedback only a great subwoofer on your arm can produce...Your time has come. Introducing the Subatch. The only watch of its kind, built using high grade plutonium and incorporating nano technology sound parametric wave isolating impressiveness"

Good try on April fools.

It got me thinking though...Is it possible? A headband (is more likely) with built in rumble strips meant to give a little thump to aid your earbuds along? Possible I suppose. I'm thinking of the big fuzzy headbands like in the movie Dodgeball. They appear thick enough to hide some gear, lol.

can someone please stop this guy

Me? No, I'm unstoppable. Like an arrow!, whoa, wait, you can stop an arrow. Like a rolling ball! Dammit, no, not like a rolling ball. Like someone that just likes to have fun on April Fools Day!?! Yeah, I guess you could stop that. But why? :)

They used to have a pair of headphones that were a band style and the band layed on the back of the neck and vibrated with the music. Never had a pair. But I always thought they would be kind of cool

I can see why that failed. The "band" lying on the skin wouldn't really provide bass you could feel, more of a vibration than anything. Scrappy, I'm sure that you've heard of what the Seal teams and Special Forces use. I was thinking more along those lines but on a consumer friendly level with respect to appearance. Vibrations thru facial bone, jaw, ear, skull, etc..... hence my thoughts of a headband. Vibrates yours skull. Potentially very unsightly.....but definitely effective.

They used to have a pair of headphones that were a band style and the band layed on the back of the neck and vibrated with the music. Never had a pair. But I always thought they would be kind of cool

I can see why that failed. The "band" lying on the skin wouldn't really provide bass you could feel, more of a vibration than anything. Scrappy, I'm sure that you've heard of what the Seal teams and Special Forces use. I was thinking more along those lines but on a consumer friendly level with respect to appearance. Vibrations thru facial bone, jaw, ear, skull, etc..... hence my thoughts of a headband. Vibrates yours skull. Potentially very unsightly.....but definitely effective.

You could use one of those transducers Parts Express sells that can "Turn any surface into speaker". Might make your vision a little blurry though. You could make it sealed or ported depending on if your mouth was open or closed. The rear ported version could be a little messy but you could be the first on your block to actually hear the brown note.

They were called the Bone Fone. I bought one back around 1980 for use while riding my motorbike, thinking it would be more convenient and maybe more effective than the basic ear buds available back then. I wore it under my jacket, so there was no wind noise problem.

Did it work? No. If I'd been able to try it before I bought it, I would have saved my money. It was supposed to send vibrations through your collarbones, but all you could feel was a slight tapping, and you could only hear music in a quiet room, not anywhere outdoors under a zipped-up jacket. I sold it within a couple of weeks after I bought it.

http://boingboing.net/2006/01/08/dead-tech-the-bone-f.html

The ad promised great sound: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/bone-fone/

It could not only avoid hearing loss, it could make music audible for people with eardrum damage, since it bypassed the ears:
http://www.audioboneheadphones.com/howitworks.html

Don't believe everything you read.