Need Packing Advice for RC-7

Youthman

• Moderators

I've been talking with a seller of an RC-7 that is willing to ship. I know the best way to ship the RC-7 would be to ship the cabinet and the woofers separately. I'm going to request the seller have 3" on each side to protect it. Should I request double boxed too? Just looking for some advice before I reply to his email.

My RC 64 was shipped in a box filled with those styrofoam bead about 1 ft all around. I was surprised it was delivered by Fedex without damage. Double boxing is good. Not sure if you need to have the driver removed if it is packed tightly.

my rc-64 showed up in its original packaging single boxed and it was just fine. i do agree with tas that less handling is better. the only two i have had damaged were both from ups. one pair of rb-61 with extremely insufficient packing. the heavy magnets snapped the plastic basket. the others were the wf-35 from new egg. you could tell one speaker fell off the pallet, then instead of lazy a** getting off the forklift to pick it up he first tried to pick it up with the forks. all he did was stab a huge hole in the speaker and scrape the fork down most of the cabinet. it makes me sick that people do that then just throw it on a delivery truck like nothing happened. oh well that guy saved me a bunch of money in the end. those were purchased at 350 each with a 80 off coupon per speaker. so 560 total. well when i went to buy them again later there was no sale coupon. i called new egg and complained so they gave me the same 80 off coupon, only the speakers were down to 280 each. so i only payed 400 for them and i asked them to not ship ups. so they shipped fedex and it was like klipsch boxed them up, and brought em in the backseat of a cadillac right to my door step. the boxes were perfect!

I've heard of the removing woofers method on here but never requested it myself from a seller. I've had four RC-7's show up with no woofer damage despite not being removed. Double boxing on the other hand, is a must have in my book. One fell prey to being thrown in a single box with only peanuts surrounding it. Well, after its travels the RC-7 was at the bottom, peanuts at the top, damage all over the place, lol. Not good.

• Moderators

I have been corresponding with the seller in Atlanta, had agreed on price and shipping method and was waiting to receive paypal invoice when the seller emails me saying that a local buyer "might" have the money by this Friday. I don't blame him for not wanting to ship this beast. I told him I have the money in the bank, no "might" about it on my end. I'm ready to buy if he's ready to sell. If anyone is in Atlanta and wouldn't mind shipping it to me, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The Atlanta deal fell through as he found a local buyer but I have purchased an RC-7 from a forum member in Texas. He just called me saying he has the speaker packaged in it's original box and wanted to discuss how best he could double box it. He has a packing box that has a pretty good size gap and he was thinking about putting light packing blankets in between the two boxes. I would then ship him back the packing blankets once the speaker arrived. We also discussed him removing the woofers and even the tweeter diaphram and shipping it separately.

Which do you think would be the best option?

Aside from bubble wrapping the drivers seperately, I've thought of one other method that I've not seen suggested. The reason the magnets break off the horns is that there's nothing to hold them if the box drops. I would think that if you pulled the drivers and stacked some dense styrofoam under the drivers for support, then re-install the drivers, you wouldn't have to worry about that scenario.

• Moderators

My feelings exactly. It is tough. I told the seller I trust him and for him to do what he thinks is best. Like you, I told him it's hard to imagine how I would package it since I'm not physically there looking at it. I hate shipping large speakers because I tend to take sometimes over an hour packing one box because the last thing I want is the buyer saying it didn't survive the trip. So far, I've never had an item damaged in shipping.

I'd skip the blankets method. Shipping them back will increase cost and due to their lack of brunt force absorption could prove a mute use from the onset. Heavy styrofoam or strong cardboard in multiple layers has always served me well. You've got a lot going for you from the get go. He has the original box, most sellers do not. So we're really talking about how to over due what the manufacturer deemed worthy to ship in. Double boxing of pretty much any sort will be of great benefit. Two to three inches of space, coupled with dense styrofoam or dense layers of cardboard should def do the trick.

Additionally, packing blankets aren't light. If its the kind I'm thinking of, they're around 3#'s a piece at least. Again, this drives up cost. Styro or cardboard is much lighter and withstands brunt/direct force way better. Two cents.

I swear by foam board for every shipment. I have used it for my rf 63, rc 10 , rs 62 , receivers , recently a amp and sub . Takes time to cut this stuff to fit the box , but I usually put at lease 2 inches around every side and have yet to have a problem.

Aside from bubble wrapping the drivers seperately, I've thought of one other method that I've not seen suggested. The reason the magnets break off the horns is that there's nothing to hold them if the box drops. I would think that if you pulled the drivers and stacked some dense styrofoam under the drivers for support, then re-install the drivers, you wouldn't have to worry about that scenario.

it doesn't matter how well you pack speakers, when they drop them from 6' its over.

if i ever ship heresys again i'm gonna use CECAA's method. i had a single heresy shipped to me droped so hard the k-700 was ripped out ot the motorboard and i shipped a heresy 3 and had the crossover ripped out and laying in the bottom of the cab with 3" styrafoam all around.

filling the void in the cab with peanuts/styrafoam is the answer. good thinking CECAA