which would you do? (music transport question)

• Moderators

For $399, the Emotiva XDA-2 DAC has plenty of digital inputs AND a stepped, analog volume control. It can be used as a combo DAC/Preamp. It's a bargain for the price.

The XDA-2 is new, I found a used XDA-1 for $150 including shipping still in warranty 2 years left, they were buying the new model.

Like you said it's used as a DAC/Preamp, the XDA-1 model did not have the stepped volume control but it is no problem I use the D-75 amps volume controls to keep the XDA in the top 75% of it's volume knob.

Sounds MUCH better than using the preouts of a HT receiver, much better, and for cheap. Now it's BR player with wireless internet into DAC and it's done.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have an iPhone or iPad you might like the Squeezebox app. It works great with the Squeezebox Touch including navigating around MOG on the Touch.

I have an Adroid Mini Tablet and I use the Squeezebox App with it. Yes, it does work great!

I'm using an app called iPeng for my squeezebox duet. Works very well and I like the interface alot better then the logitect app for squeezebox. The upgraded iPeng also allows you to use an iPhone or iPad as a transport wirelessly. I use my iPad hooked up into bedroom set up using FLAC files on laptop in living room.

I'm using an app called iPeng for my squeezebox duet. Works very well and I like the interface alot better then the logitect app for squeezebox. The upgraded iPeng also allows you to use an iPhone or iPad as a transport wirelessly. I use my iPad hooked up into bedroom set up using FLAC files on laptop in living room.

iPeng is Apple only.

I don't do Apple.

• 1 month later...

I'm still torn, but also expanded my budget. The oppo 105 is quite a remarkable device. contains TWO of what most consider to be the current top o the line DAC. I only need a CD function for people that bring their own music - so having a device that can play ALL of the music disc formats is nice. The oppo 105 can not only browse DLNA servers, but also act as a network music renderer. This means I can use it headless and forego the crappy network interface, using Linn Kinsky (or similar) to control music playback via laptop, tablet, etc. the oppo can also take just about any other digital or analog source and serve it through the dedicated DAC and operate as a pre-amp.

then there's the Schiit Gungnir DAC, which is gaining traction as a pretty decent sub-1000 device. I can hook up my laptop via usb or toslink and be playing music without a problem. All of my files are FLAC, so no itunes integration and I lose the pleasant browsing/remote control playing experience.

stacks of gear sure do look cool, but the thought of having only two 2-3 devices in the rack sure seems appealing.

I'll have to look at this Oppo. Sounds good.

I use a Benchmark USB DAC and it is simple. My PC plugs in via USB and sends up to 24/96 raw digital files to the DAC. No drivers, no sound card. The Benchmark will play just about anything. I haven't run into anything it won't play yet. The PC and DAC recognize each other immediately. I can stream off the internet or from the music on my PC server. It's simple. I also plug my Dish nework receiver and DVD player into it via Toslink (optical), and coax.

There is a brand new version of it out that I have been drooling over. But I need other stuff more than I need that right now. Maybe Xmas.

benchmark gear is hugely popular and for good reason. this decision would be much simpler if I already had gear laying around, such as a SACD or CD player, preferred amp, or so on. so i play the game of..

"do i need a disc player? I have a pretty extensive digital library, so guests should be ok i guess."

.. "do I want to use my laptop all the time? would be nice to have a dedicated player."

... "it would be nice to have all of the digital formats covered, do I need separate devices?"

... "how good is good enough? usually jack-of-all-trades hardware isnt all that great of a choice, but the oppo seems to defy that."

It looks like the macbook pro doesn't have an HDMI port. If it did you could forget the USB and DAC stuff and get a NAD C390DD direct digital feedback integrated amplifier with HDMI module and play the files directly from RAM. Current HDMI has Audio Rate Control that allows the digital amplifer/reciever's word clock to control the computer's word clock which are notoriusly poor. You would kill two birds with one stone eliminiating digital jitter and error correction at the same time while shorting/simplifying the entire signal chain at the same time while keeping everything in the digital domain right up to the speaker outputs.

It looks like the macbook pro doesn't have an HDMI port. If it did you could forget the USB and DAC stuff and get a NAD C390DD direct digital feedback integrated amplifier with HDMI module and play the files directly from RAM.

The MacBook Pro has a Thunderbolt port that can connect with an HDMI cord.

It looks like the macbook pro doesn't have an HDMI port. If it did you could forget the USB and DAC stuff and get a NAD C390DD direct digital feedback integrated amplifier with HDMI module and play the files directly from RAM.

The MacBook Pro has a Thunderbolt port that can connect with an HDMI cord.

not my late 2009 model, which continues to truck along nicely after maxing out the RAM to 8GB and adding an SSD. ;) ..i'll probably end up going with a network attached transport that supports FLAC and phone/tablet control points.

Every network music player device seems to have some faults. One may be sonically superb, but suffer from an interface perspective. Or the music playback features are great, but the device is weak on the actual music quality. I'm still not fond of the Squeezebox stuff, and Linn products make me feel like i got kicked in the balls every time I check prices.

i think i'll just start out using my MBP and spend cash on the DAC + Amp combo. The Schiit Gungnir looks to be a superb device in a truly balanced design. The Yamaha A-S2000 is another wonderful piece of hardware, also in a truly balanced design. From what I've read, balanced is the way to go but only if you maintain that architecture through the entire device chain. Looks like I'll be able to do that with these two pieces of hardware. My MBP supports up to 24/96 via optical toslink and the Gungnir performs absolutely zero upsampling - so I should be able to get bit perfect audio without any complicated setups.

time to stop over thinking and start saving for the various components. :)

do i need a disc player? I have a pretty extensive digital library, so guests should be ok i guess."

I have cd's but I only use my digital collection thru Allshare DNLA . The BD player has tons of music apps like pandora. In my 2 channel setup, 97 + % digital or more since I don't have any plans for a turntable or tape deck. For me, the digital stuff sound as good as the CD's.