Teac A-2340R RTR

garymd

A friend sent me a text asking if I wanted one...I'm guessing he's cleaning out his parents or in-laws basement or something. Looks clean in the pictures he sent but he doesn't know if it works.

I've never owned a RTR in my life. Is this worth the trouble assuming it works? All it'll cost me is a lunch. I don't know any more than what I just told you except it's a 4-channel unit with auto-reverse. Any advice would be appreciated.

I do have friends with tapes

I have quite a few pre-recorded 7.5 ips RTR tapes as you probably know, and you're more than welcome to borrow however many you want. In pre-recorded tapes, there's an extra purity to the sound IMO, at the expense of a certain amount of tape hiss that your quietist LPs won't have. (Some pre-recorded tapes will also have a bit of audible reverse-channel print-through.)

Music you record will usually have a refreshingly greater body in the bass and lower middle range. You can record and play both sides of an LP without having to "turn over" the tape part-way through. You'd have to wrestle with what would be useful to record and play back.

One question is whether you can find a desirable stock of used pre-recorded tapes on Ebay for a playback library. Tapes take a lot more shelf space than LPs.

Note that very few pre-recorded tapes were recorded with Dolby noise reduction. Your deck would have to have Dolby to make Dolby tape playback sound acceptable. For some reason, my extraordinary Revox A-77, which doesn't have Dolby, never seemed to need ti for relatively quiet recording or non-Dolby playback.

Its definately worth a lunch! I have a couple of Reel to reel decks that quite honestly do not get a lot of use. They sound incredible. Let me know if you end up getting it and I'll send you some pre recorded tapes that i picked up recently at a garage sale. There are a few decent titles.

I keep mine mostly for live recordings that I made years ago. Some of my own band and some of live performances that friends and I made sneaking in a recorder at the Fillmore and another local venue, Friends and Relations Hall. I have some pretty good live Dead and Youngbloods recordings from that time and if I didnt have the reel to reel I wouldnt be able to listen to them.

Hope all is well

Josh

soooo, could us digital guys record a FLAC album to tape to obtain some "vintage fidelity" in our modern recordings? Or is that like taking a low bit rate mp3 and trying to transcode it into a lossless format? My knowledge of RTR is limited to the scene in Pulp Fiction...

soooo, could us digital guys record a FLAC album to tape to obtain some "vintage fidelity" in our modern recordings?

I'll say this very softly, Yes this can be done. I have found that often times the "tape" recording sounds better than the original... Opps, there I said it, the digital patrol guys will be coming for me... lol...

I keep mine mostly for live recordings that I made years ago. Some of my own band and some of live performances that friends and I made sneaking in a recorder at the Fillmore and another local venue, Friends and Relations Hall. I have some pretty good live Dead and Youngbloods recordings from that time and if I didnt have the reel to reel I wouldnt be able to listen to them.

Ditto on the reason I have kept mine. Live recordings I made of some friends. I heard a bootleg of a Van Morrison concert once. Cables run from the mix console through the wall into a building/room next door to the Fillmore. Incredible dynamics!

Bruce

I have found that often times the "tape" recording sounds better than the original... Opps, there I said it, the digital patrol guys will be coming for me... lol...

As a confirmed and out of the closet bi-aural, I find the inverse to be equally true regardless of the logic. I have done high resolution digital transfers from my vintage tapes and pre-recorded and they maintain that sweet sound. I'm done trying to make sense of such things, and just go with it...

Seems like one of the audiophile companies, perhaps Mapleshade, masters on analog R2R and digitizes, so I am not the only one with this delusion.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up the RTR last week and I'm just getting around to posting. This thing weighs a ton! No power cord although I see what I need to buy and I'm guessing a trip to Home Depot should do the trick. I'll probably invite my old pal Larry to come over and show me what all the buttons, controls and other gizmos do and maybe even give it a test drive. It even has the original plastic cover.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. You can be sure I'll be posting again once I actually hear it play and I hope to be accepting pre-recorded donations at that time [:D]

Cool! If it has the four switches on the head assembly cover for simul-sync, they will probably need to be cleaned with some de-oxit. They are slide switches, that can drop out (as well as some of the other switches.

Yea, they weigh a LOT. My 3340S comes in right at 50 pounds.

Bruce

EDIT: Just realized it's the 2340R, which has reverse. You'll still need to keep an eye on the tape monitor switches.