"Warm" sound

fuzzydog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

What the heck does "warm" sound like anyway?

Take your room and throw and hang heavy blankets and comforters everywhere.

You know how a completely empty room has a echo and reflects every sound......warm is the opposite.

Or it could be a beige room with no AC in the summer ? [:S]

Warm is one of those audiophile words. It is one that makes some sense, though.

made more sense to me when i listened to an amp that produced a sort of cold, clinical sound.

that probably doesn't make much sense, either.

some amplifiers have different sound signatures. the comparison reminds me of listening to pianists playing various compositions.

two different pianists can play the same piece and one sounds more expressive than the other. some pianists have got the mechanics and timing right, playing the music and hitting the particular keys at the right time and duration, whatever. one pianist playing can sort of cold and mechanical. the other plays the same music with heart.

hard to describe, but when you hear it, you know it.

to me the word (warm ) means a soft and pleasing sound, easy to listen to .... not hard or harsh,

hard to lisiten to ... or at lease thats what i thought it meant ..lol this makes any sense ? I have vintage

sony recevier that i think sounds (warm) , it has a big soundstage and a really nice easy listeing warm sound.

I also have a newer Harman kardon , i think it is more colder, but more (correct), is what i call it... i think it

has a more clear and detailed sound than the sony, but with a smaller soundstage and not as warm as the

sony. the HK is hooked to my cornscalas on one end of my living room, the sony is hooked to cornwalls

on the other end of the living room, some days i listen to one or the other, never really know which reciever i like

best....lol

What the heck does "warm" sound like anyway?

Lots of even order harmonic distortion.

That’s my
best guess.

"Warm" may be close in meaning to "rich." If we are
going to have harmonics generated or emphasized in recording/playback
equipment that were less loud in the live performance, let’s have them be even
order ones.

As to a bump
in the response between 100 and 300 Hz, according to a dealer I knew in the
early 1960s, a JBL rep actually stated that some JBL speakers were “warm” because
they had lots of response in the upper bass, as opposed to the midrange. Then, again, he was a rep.

To me,
analog recordings, either reel-to-reel magnetic tape, or good vinyl with my old
Ortophon cartridge sounded “warm,” while most digital recordings sound “cold.” Tubes are warm, transistors are cold, and
cumquats are funny.

When I was
comparing speakers in about 1964, I distinctly remember thinking that both the Klipschorn and
the EV Patrician sounded “golden” as compared to the JBL Paragon’s “silver.” I then doubted my sanity. But Rimsky-Korsakov thought B flat was "golden."

About the
same time, I repeatedly heard recording engineers say the RCA 77 ribbon mic was
“warm,” the Telefunken (Neuman) U 47 was neutral, and most dynamic mics
relatively cold.

What we need
here is an adaptation of Osgood’s Semantic Differential. The original one actually had “warm” v.s. “cold”
on it, along with “sweet” v.s. “sour” (the best Marantz tube power amps of the ‘50s
& early ‘60s were “sweet,” compared to the McIntoshes, which weren’t sour,
but definitely not on the “sweet” side of the continuum – or, at least, so I
heard). If a new Semantic Differential
could be devised that used all of the common ultra-audiophile terms and their
opposites, including the weird ones like “stringy,” we could sell it to the audio
magazine editors, but it would have to be at a monstrously inflated price. Imagine the equipment reviewers dutifully
checking boxes along the continua between pairs of opposites.