Network Audio Player question.....

Boxx

I am considering adding a Network Audio Player to my system. In particular the Marantz NA-7004 Network Audio Player. As I am not greatly familiar with these types of units, I have a question. By passing my signal through a unit such as this (from my mp3 player or my kindle) will the signal be improved or enhanced when it reaches my AVR for playback?

Often times, for example, downloads from amazon are terrible when played back and sometimes they are just fine. I'm looking for a unit that will hopefully improve all signals passing through it and help to bring about some consistency in all playback forms.

Thanks for any help. Boxx

51Wbca0--IL._SL1000_.jpg

By passing my signal through a unit such as this (from my mp3 player or my kindle) will the signal be improved or enhanced when it reaches my AVR for playback?

In theory I would say yes unless your AVR has higher quality DACs and are implemented better. If the NA-7004 has upsampling capabilities in addition to better DACs, the answer most likely would be definitely yes. I was just recently reading about what great performance the NA-7004 has and at the current price of $399.00(1/2 MSRP), it is an unquestionable bargain. I definitely think it is worth a try and if you don't think there is any discernable sound quality enhancement, send it back.

Bill

By passing my signal through a unit such as this (from my mp3 player or my kindle) will the signal be improved or enhanced when it reaches my AVR for playback?

In theory I would say yes unless your AVR has higher quality DACs and are implemented better. If the NA-7004 has upsampling capabilities in addition to better DACs, the answer most likely would be definitely yes. I was just recently reading about what great performance the NA-7004 has and at the current price of $399.00(1/2 MSRP), it is an unquestionable bargain. I definitely think it is worth a try and if you don't think there is any discernable sound quality enhancement, send it back.

Bill

Hi Bill, Sounds like a good idea. The only reason that I was considering this purchase is due to my new HP laptop. I mostly had used my "kindle" for playback, however I hooked up my new HP Pavillion and wow did the world change. My system came alive like it had never done before with a digital source. Thanks for your input. Boxx

I have Pioneer's equivalent unit (Pioneer Elite N-50) that I now use to stream my music through. In addition, it can be used as an outboard DAC. I have been really impressed with how this thing sounds and performs. Between just using 'AirPlay' through iTunes as well as using it as an outboard DAC that I run the output of my CD player through, it really sound superb! It does have some features, such as "Auto Sound Retriever" or "ASR" that is supposed to help improve the music, especially lower quality MP3 files. Some of the reviews that I've seen on the Pioneer Elite N-50 seems to have difference of opinions on how well the "ASR" feature works. (here is another excellent review from 6moons.com of all places!) But, hey, if you don't like it, then set the thing to "Pure Direct" mode and you will get the audio exactly as it is feed through the thing. I found that I prefer the "ASR" mode for most everything.

When I was orginally looking at getting a network streamer, it did come down between that Marantz unit and the Pioneer unit, but at the time, both of these units where $700. I went with the Pioneer as I just liked the feature set it offered better. However, at currently half the price, that Marantz unit does look sweet! However, I think NAD also has one as well. Also to add, somebody posted a PDF of a scanned-in magazine article that compared the two units, and the Pioneer seemed to have come up on top, but just barely. That Marantz really is a contender. One thing is that article indicated that the Pioneer does not support gapless playback. A recent firmware update now does support gapless playback, in addition of now supporting Apple Lossless and others. Still, that Marantz at $400 is friggan hard to beat. Not only that, here is a really nice writeup on the Marantz.

pioneer-elite-n50004Medium.jpg

I have Pioneer's equivalent unit (Pioneer Elite N-50) that I now use to stream my music through. In addition, it can be used as an outboard DAC. I have been really impressed with how this thing sounds and performs. Between just using 'AirPlay' through iTunes as well as using it as an outboard DAC that I run the output of my CD player through, it really sound superb! It does have some features, such as "Auto Sound Retriever" or "ASR" that is supposed to help improve the music, especially lower quality MP3 files. Some of the reviews that I've seen on the Pioneer Elite N-50 seems to have difference of opinions on how well the "ASR" feature works. But, hey, if you don't like it, then set the thing to "Pure Direct" mode and you will get the audio exactly as it is feed through the thing. I found that I prefer the "ASR" mode for most everything.

When I was orginally looking at getting a network streamer, it did come down between that Marantz unit and the Pioneer unit, but at the time, both of these units where $700. I went with the Pioneer as I just liked the feature set it offered better. However, at currently half the price, that Marantz unit does look sweet! However, I think NAD also has one as well.

pioneer-elite-n50004Medium.jpg

Thanks Steve.... Some very helpful info....

Thanks Steve.... Some very helpful info....

After you posted this reply, I made some edits to my post, including some links to reviews and articles, including one that compares the two.

Since this thing can be used as an outboard DAC, I am repurposing my old MacBook Pro as a music server and starting to tinker around with Pure Music and connecting it via USB to the back of the N-50. Once I get it setup, will be interesting to see/hear how it works out and sounds. Alas, my trusty ol Elan Via!DJ music server is starting to fall by the wayside amongst all this fancy new technology to get/stream digital music into my rig.

Also want to add. The Pioneer does not have bluetooth or WiFi built in. If you need that, you will need to get the add-on adaptors to add those capabilities. As for as WiFi, I did not need it as I have a wired network drop right at my HT rig, plus I found that streaming full lossless, hi-res FLAC files, a wired connection was much more stable then trying to do it via WiFi. The gigbit link just has more bandwidth than the WiFi does. I did go and get the Bluetooth add-on (found it on Amazon for like $70 instead of the full $100 that Pioneer themselves wanted through thier own website).

How is this different from streaming from a BDP, smart tv, Ruku or avr? All you need is a DLNA and something like allshare or visiio. I have seen a few adds for a network streamer but, never fully understood it's advantages.

most of those devices don't support hi-res FLAC/AIFF/WAV, which means your DLNA server would need to transcode to MP3, which means all of that dedicated storage for hi-res music is a waste.

my problem with these lower tier network players is their interface. browsing through 1500 albums on that little LCD screen is ridiculous and the interface is consistentyly buggy and worthless. additionally the software interface is locked down and not suitable to be used as a DLNA media renderer device compatible with better apps such as the Linn Kinsky or Lumin apps. Which means if you wanted a dedicated network streamer with a truly functional ipad interface you have to purchase those astronomically priced Linn or Lumin boxes. OR get a computer + dac and use JRiver Media Center with JRemote on your ipad

How is this different from streaming from a BDP, smart tv, Ruku or avr? All you need is a DLNA and something like allshare or visiio. I have seen a few adds for a network streamer but, never fully understood it's advantages.

most of those devices don't support hi-res FLAC/AIFF/WAV, which means your DLNA server would need to transcode to MP3, which means all of that dedicated storage for hi-res music is a waste.

I used to have a Roku SoundBridge, which I actually really liked. I was using SlimServer at the time to feed the music, and yes, it would transcode on-the-fly from FLAC to MP3 to play. The unit was nice, and I loved that big bright VFT display on there. It was also fairly easy to navigate, but used the SlimServer web interface from a laptop to select and play the music. Alas, while I was away on a 2-week vacation in Wisconsin, a thunderstorm came through this area and pretty took it out amonst a few other pieces. Even though I had the rig unplugged from the wall power, I still had the network connected up and the lightening came through the network via the cable modem. Took out the cable modem itself, my router, and that SoundBridge. I think that may also explained why that DirecTV reciever was acting up at the time (which ended up needing to be replaced) as well. But I digress....

my problem with these lower tier network players is their interface. browsing through 1500 albums on that little LCD screen is ridiculous and the interface is consistentyly buggy and worthless. additionally the software interface is locked down and not suitable to be used as a DLNA media renderer device compatible with better apps such as the Linn Kinsky or Lumin apps. Which means if you wanted a dedicated network streamer with a truly functional ipad interface you have to purchase those astronomically priced Linn or Lumin boxes. OR get a computer + dac and use JRiver Media Center with JRemote on your ipad

Pioneer provides a control app for the iPhone/iPad for the N-50. In fact, the Linn Kinsky app also works with the Pioneer N-50 (I tend to use that alongside Pioneer's own control app)! Also, it has AirPlay as well, which means that I could simply use iTunes and even the Apple Remote app on my iPad as well for that. I also like that fact that it is a very nice outboard DAC. I did end up using my old MacBook Pro and setup Pure Music on it, which also means I can use the Apple Remote to control that as well. I have plenty of options to navigate and find my music instead of just doing it on that tiny little LCD display. I do like that LCD display, though as it easily shows just what is going on and what bit rate/resolution the file is being played at.

But yes, the thing can support high-res FLAC files natively, which many of those low-end or "built-in" things such as smart TVs or Rokus cannot do. A recent firmware upgrade for the Pioneer unit also now allows it to support Apple Lossless as well as now has gapless playback. Now, if you have a really high-end reciever or pre/pro that also can do network streaming with support for hi-res audio files (such as the Marantz AV8802), then something like this will be redundant, unless you absolutly want to keep everything "seperate" with stand-alone, dedicated components serving the various sources and/or functions of your rig.

I've spent lots of money trying to get networked, streaming etc....over the years. Then the Onkyo 809 comes along and streams internet radio that sounds better than the CD somehow, streams loss less, flac etc...dlna and more than I will use for $426 new delivered to my door. I bought a 414 at a local store, new(clearance) for $130, streams internet, dlna, etc....just crazy, what's next? I think the days of high dollar hi-fi are fading fast as tech improves the playing field. So....just saying.....make sure you know what's out there before you spend any large amounts of money.

I was making some assumptions based on what they don't say on their website product pages, so thanks for correcting with your 1st hand experience. Good to know it can support 3rd party apps.

No problem. The other thing that hung me up with your original post, is that I don't consider things like the Pioneer Elite N-50 or that Marantz 7004 unit as "low tier". NAD and Cambridge Audio also have similair units at similiar price points, but people don't typically consider those brands "low tier" either. Yeah, you can spend some serious money on the boutique brands like the Linn or Krell. Just the same with speakers. I certainly don't consider Klipsch "Low tier". What I considered "low tier" where things like the Apple TV, those Roku boxes, the built-in "network capabilityes" of the cheaper "mainstream" blu-ray players, like the ones you get at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc and that "Smart TV" functionality. The only exception there would be something like the Oppo BD-105 unit, which does contain some really nice high-end DACs and can support high-res audio.

This reminds me of another reason why I like using my Pioneer Elite N-50 or similiar. It is not necessary to use a TV to get your interface like you would with blu-ray players, Roku boxes, etc. Some people will like using the TV, but many dedicated two-channel rigs that want to incorporate network streaming will probably not have a TV involved, and thus will more than likely want something like these network streamer components. Granted, if you have Apple gear and/or use iTunes, getting something like an Airport Extreme would work on a two-channel rig without a TV, but I don't think that includes actual high-end DACs or ability to natively support high-res audio files.

I've spent lots of money trying to get networked, streaming etc....over the years. Then the Onkyo 809 comes along and streams internet radio that sounds better than the CD somehow, streams loss less, flac etc...dlna and more than I will use for $426 new delivered to my door. I bought a 414 at a local store, new(clearance) for $130, streams internet, dlna, etc....just crazy, what's next? I think the days of high dollar hi-fi are fading fast as tech improves the playing field. So....just saying.....make sure you know what's out there before you spend any large amounts of money.

How is the interface on these units? Is it easy to use?

• 3 months later...

$400 for that unit is nuts for what it can do over and above my 805, so how long have you lived with it and what's your review? Back to the original post, and please forgive the ignorance but what is the need for all this additional equipment? I can hook up my tower or any other device right to my receiver with HDMI, or spdif or 3.5 to rca and the receiver does a great job with regards to the DAC, in fact I was switching back and forth from a new CD played through my player and the WAV file on the tower and at the same levels there was no audible difference at all, so I just don't get the need, but as always, I'm here to learn if there's a better way but I'm not sure what that would be.

Back to the original post, and please forgive the ignorance but what is the need for all this additional equipment?

I think Boxx was considering the NA-7004 because he may not have any other networking/streaming components. Now I do think it would be redundant to have the NA-7004 if you have other quality streaming devices with high quality DACs in that said system.

In my main HT/music rig, I use my Samsung SMART TV for it's streaming capablities(Pandora, stored music files from PC) but run it through my Cambridge Audio 840C CD player/DAC to use it's superior DAC's and upsampling before sending it to my NAD pre/pro. For the price of $399.00, the NA-7004 is a steal for what it offers. I too have considered the Marantz and may still get it.

Bill

Back to the original post, and please forgive the ignorance but what is the need for all this additional equipment?

I think Boxx was considering the NA-7004 because he may not have any other networking/streaming components. Now I do think it would be redundant to have the NA-7004 if you have other quality streaming devices with high quality DACs in that said system.

In my main HT/music rig, I use my Samsung SMART TV for it's streaming capablities(Pandora, stored music files from PC) but run it through my Cambridge Audio 840C CD player/DAC to use it's superior DAC's and upsampling before sending it to my NAD pre/pro. For the price of $399.00, the NA-7004 is a steal for what it offers. I too have considered the Marantz and may still get it.

Bill

I did purchase the NA-7004. I am very pleased with it and all of the ways it can be used. In addition, I found it on Amazon for 1/2 price...