A $4000 Reissue Classical Music Box Set

thebes

Fascinating. The video was great, and the sound of the Bach violin solo, even on just my MacBookPro (with Dragonfly), was ravishing.

As usual, the Bach sounded like 2 or 3 players instead of only one. I assume it was one of the Sonatas or Partitas, the violin equivalent of the famous cello sonatas.

I only spend about 100,- EUR on one set of LPs - Dave Brubeck's Time Out as a 45 re-issue. Does it sound great? Yes it does....but I am equally enjoying a standard DG recording of Handel's Messiah etc.

A turntable for $100,000,-? Will I really enjoy the music more than on my $100,- Lenco? I honestly doubt it. Not only does the Lenco play loops around my Thorens TD125 or my Sony TTS-4000, it also sounds a lot more involving than most of the expensive rigs (we are talking here between 10,000 and 20,000 EUR) I have been listening to over the years - either in people's places, or at various audio fairs.

I strongly feel that we have actually been led to believe that more/most expensive gear must automatically sound better than a less costly set-up. and when it comes to cartridges (for example) I do not agree at all. It actually takes listening experince and courage to trust one's ears more than all those glamorous magazines out there - or certain discussion groups on the net (present site not included). Of course YMMV.

Wolfram

Will I really enjoy the music more than on my $100,- Lenco? I honestly doubt it.

AMEN, Wolfram! A few hundred dollar used table with any one of a number of mid priced cartridges gets you to a couple of percent of all there is. Like you, the first 97% so blows me away I am unlikely to care if another 100k or so will get me the other 3%. I want to be at the crossing point of where cost and value meet. Each wrung of cost up from there buys you less and less.

Dave

To view those 'machines' as a kind of industrial art - why not? Last year I saw a prototype turntable that offered all sorts of really fascinating means to adjust tonearm, cartridge, motor speed etc. I seem to recall that it even included a camera to have a look at the stylus tip. Fair enough......[;)].

Wolfram

Every knows (if they don't, they should) that you can build a great sounding HiFi for a few hundred dollars worth of used gears. One good speaker, a mono amp, and a Lenco

I would be interested in how you would spend that few hundred dollars. What would your "bargain" system look like?

Still enjoying my BB Extreme btw.

Not a bad looking little amp. If all is in good shape I don't see doing much better for $300.

The Advents (large and small) certainly had a following years ago. After listening to horns day in and out it is a nice break to listen to some bass reflex speakers, in my case McIntosh ML-1C.

This would make a good thread. Design a bargain system from what is currently for sale on ebay, Garage, and Audiogon.

Good analogy. The cars that excited us early on and the audio gear we all lusted for but could not afford. A walk down memory lane for sure.

I recall a few model numbers all the years later including the KLH 7,8, 23, and the smaller 32. Your JBLs (100s?), supposedly the "west coast" sound and the Advents, the east coast equivalent were very desireable. My first speaker system was a pair of Nova 8s from RS, pretty but unremarkable sound, followed by the McIntosh ML-1C I traveled to Chapel Hill to hear. I had those vintage (71) speakers reconed and recoiled back in 2006 and refinished the cabinets at Bluesboys shop in 2006. I drive them with a vintage 62 HK tubed reciever as a second system.

A bit of trivia most of you know..........JBL were the initials for James B. Lansing (Altec Lansing fame), who along with Henry Kloss, and Julian Hirsch founded the KLH company. Hirsch was in business with Houck who started the Hirsch-Houck Labs.

I'll post a picture of the near mint ML-1Cs when I find the "post a picture link".

Not that bad. The mesh is attached to a frame behind the ribbed grill front with the Mc badge. The ribs appear to be a hard plastic material. Took it apart while refinishing.

Never had the EQ! Sounded fine without it but then I never heard them with EQ. Am I missing much?

I've never come across anybody who is as meticulous about vinyl remastering and reproduction, which obviously needs some serious $$$ to get to this level. Not leaving out the knowledge of the correct old and up to spec machines needed to get the job done..........I'm going to make flyers for this guy and drop them over Manhattan......This is definitely an art that needs to be fought whole heartedly to get more people aware to keep from sinking into "Davy Jones Locker" and lost forever.......[8]

Every knows (if they don't, they should) that you can build a great sounding HiFi for a few hundred dollars worth of used gears. One good speaker, a mono amp, and a Lenco

I would be interested in how you would spend that few hundred dollars. What would your "bargain" system look like?

Still enjoying my BB Extreme btw.

Start with one of THESE for $100 bucks.

Add THIS for say, $50 bucks.

And finish with THIS for say $150.

There's a $300 bargain basement HiFi which will sound very credible with a nice LP. Assume for a moment that all the bits were in proper working order. Put this behind a scrim and most people would not know they are listening to a mere $300 antique system.

EDIT:

It's kind of like dumpster diving for audio. Not the best looking stuff, but nutritious none the less.

EDIT 2:

Interesting to read what J. Gordon Holt wrote in 1971 about this speaker - here.

In the spirit of Mark's post.....I'll bet you can get this for under $1500/pr. Reputable supplier, re-coned and overall pretty nice condition.

--

--

--http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McIntosh-ML-4C-Loudspeaker-System-Pair-/221274812306?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item338501af92

Wow! That would be tempting if it was near Wilmington. I might not be able to resist even though I already have three systems. Rebuilt, serviced, and great cosmetics.

I saw a nice all Mac system with the larger ML-2s on ebay. Very attractive gear and an asking price of $6200. Speakers need foam surrounds.

I agree it looks like a great bargain. If Carlsbad is near you and you have the room I would say go for it! Keep it for awhile, enjoy it, then sell it if you must for more than you paid. A win-win!

Whew! I'm just lucky it is not on the east coast.

Think I maybe a little off topic here. Sorry Marty.

I suspect Mark will disagree for philosophical reasons, but at some point in the not too distant future I'm going to present a valued friend who loves music but knows nothing of audio equipment a stereo system which I hope to keep at 300.00 or less. Key will be locating a pair of Frazier Monte Carlos that are still in the range. Think I paid 40.00 for the first pair I bought on Ebay, and not much more for the second. They've gotten scarcer and more expensive since word got around.

Amp will be a T amp, and I'll need to review what the current best deal is. The 50.00 or so ones have plenty of power for the Frazier's. I've driven a pair of mine with a Sonic Impact and it was very, very nice.

For source, any laptop with an Intel 1701HD or better audio chip set and ripped CDs or other digital files.

Actually, I may wind up south of 200.00 with any luck.

Dave

I suspect Mark will disagree for philosophical reasons, but at some point in the not too distant future I'm going to present a valued friend who loves music but knows nothing of audio equipment a stereo system which I hope to keep at 300.00 or less. Key will be locating a pair of Frazier Monte Carlos that are still in the range. Think I paid 40.00 for the first pair I bought on Ebay, and not much more for the second. They've gotten scarcer and more expensive since word got around.

Amp will be a T amp, and I'll need to review what the current best deal is. The 50.00 or so ones have plenty of power for the Frazier's. I've driven a pair of mine with a Sonic Impact and it was very, very nice.

For source, any laptop with an Intel 1701HD or better audio chip set and ripped CDs or other digital files.

Actually, I may wind up south of 200.00 with any luck.

Dave

No disagreement here. I don't know anything about those speakers, amps or sources, so I have no basis to argue. I did have a version or two of the T amp and I didn't enjoy it. But, I get the appeal on price. I just didn't dig the tone of it for my taste. The last one I had was 2007, so who knows?

Along these lines though......I don't listen to my iPOD-based/Computer-based music very much for philosophical reasons. Huh? Well, it gets me too used to lousy sound. It's too convenient, too easy, and involves no work, and therefore the rewards are very small. I got burned out by having mountains of cheap music like that available and I lost my interest in listening. So, I have one, but I use it for podcasts and Kindle. When I want to hear music, I go to the LP or CD and try to squeeze all the goodness out instead of having a sort of generic music experience.

On the go and at work I put up with CPU based music, when I really want to hear it as it should be heard I fire up vinyl in the man cave. First and foremost I have to have music playing, just have to understand and appreciate what it's being played on. I have had cassette's in my car be far more engaging than some 5K systems I've listened too[:o] Generic just makes me appreciate the real thing that much more[8]

Along these lines though......I don't listen to my iPOD-based/Computer-based music very much for philosophical reasons.

"computer-based" music would include CD. Top end sound cards are much cheaper than top end CD players. I've done A/Bs back in Dallas with some rather golden eared members of this forum and the results for vinyl vs my recording of the same vinyl and a Rega Planet vs ripped to my server were 50/50. That matches my personal experience.

Oldest "T" I have are the Panny's and I'm not sure when they were built. All I know is they are much superior to my ears than any SS amps I ever heard, though short of tubes. I've found the debates here interesting in that it seems to be "love'em" or "hate'em" and I don't get it. Not a soul, whether SS or Bottlehead freak, every said my Panny totally sucked. Perhaps it was because had the tubes fired up but not on line first...I don't know.

As to source material, fully agree. CD is the lowest res I find acceptable, but have heard perhaps 2 max rate mp3s that were not bad. However, the material on them, one choir and the other pipe organ, don't really have a lot of high frequency harmonics so that may be the reason. I've certainly never heard an mp3 that I could clearly identify a Strad on.

I just say "no" to compressed music. With storage space essentially free these days, I seen no need for it.

Dave