Anyone listen to 78s?

Tarheel

Used to be a 78 rpm conical for the M44, but I don't know about now. You'd have to search or ask Shure customer service which is pretty decent. However, as I mentioned, B&H has the next Shure up for 54 bucks...not bad and probably only twice that of the M44 stylus.

Dave

Well, having just gotten my 78 rig up again last weekend and getting pumped from this thread, I went up after work yesterday and started playing 78s. My 11 year old son came in. Touching the equipment...or much of anything...in my music room has been totally off limits to him so far, but over the weekend I began to show him a few things and explain stuff. He's just started trombone this year, so I dropped on some 40s vintage Dorsey, 30s vintage Teagarten, some Glenn Miller, and such. When I played a VERY early acoustic Duke Ellingtion recording of "The Mooche" and told him it was nearly 90 years old he seemed properly impressed. I am proud to say he stayed through it all and it was, in fact, me that reminded him he still had some chores to do.

We got so far as him dropping the needle on the Empire on 78s with the volume down, and rasing it after turning the volume down at the end. and then I showed him that the Shure arm on the LP turntable was about as 12th as heavy and had to be handled with extreme care and locked in place when not being used.

Still a ways to go, but I think he'll be a trained and reliable operator in the not too distant future. I am explaining to him the rare nature and fiduciary responsibility of many of my old recordings and he seems to be taking it seriously.

Good father/son times!

Dave

• Like 1

Well, having just gotten my 78 rig up again last weekend and getting pumped from this thread, I went up after work yesterday and started playing 78s. My 11 year old son came in. Touching the equipment...or much of anything...in my music room has been totally off limits to him so far, but over the weekend I began to show him a few things and explain stuff. He's just started trombone this year, so I dropped on some 40s vintage Dorsey, 30s vintage Teagarten, some Glenn Miller, and such. When I played a VERY early acoustic Duke Ellingtion recording of "The Mooche" and told him it was nearly 90 years old he seemed properly impressed. I am proud to say he stayed through it all and it was, in fact, me that reminded him he still had some chores to do.

We got so far as him dropping the needle on the Empire on 78s with the volume down, and rasing it after turning the volume down at the end. and then I showed him that the Shure arm on the LP turntable was about as 12th as heavy and had to be handled with extreme care and locked in place when not being used.

Still a ways to go, but I think he'll be a trained and reliable operator in the not too distant future. I am explaining to him the rare nature and fiduciary responsibility of many of my old recordings and he seems to be taking it seriously.

Good father/son times!

Dave

Cool retro system remote!

I am still trying to get into 78playback... I have several hundred 78's(and cylinders) from different eras that came from my father that came from his father. I have been unable to play them because I can not commit to a second turntable. but I am close.

My uncle just past away a month ago and he had an unused 78 console( probably 70 era) with tube amp... I am getting that but I will have to have it completely rebuilt or at least looked at. personally I was trying to buy an empire or lenco as a second TT (maybe even a stand alone mono speaker)... and may still go that way. I love old time music and can not wait until I can enjoy this.

what I want to learn is how to distinguish record material make up because from what I understand is that some of them will be damaged by alcohol and some might be damaged by water.

Schu, I wash mine in Ivory liquid and warm water and lightly rub in the direction of the grooves with a soft cloth. Never heard one get worse in sound or appearance for it yet...

However, I'd be leary of alcohol which, I believe, is used as shellac thinner.

Dave

TY... agree and have heard that alcohol is NOT for shellac... but not all of these are made from shellac am I correct in assuming that?

so then, how do you tell?

is it just better to be safe and use on a mild mixture of soap and water?