K400/k55v to borrow

The Dude

Would anyone happen to have a K400/55 I could borrow. I know some say this is a weak link and that is why there are lots of replacement horns, but I know I like the stock Heritage sound in my Cornwalls, and Heresies. So I figured it would only be fair to give the K400 a try on my Klipschorn. I would be willing to pay for shipping to and from. Let me know.

I really don't get all the hate towards K400. With Crites crossovers in my setup, and now CT-125, the KHorns sound great. Midrange is clear, full, and intelligible. It doesn't sound honky. Getting that crossover right is a big deal.

I do regret selling some 4/5000 crossovers, and k55 drivers for this purpose. However I can pull one of k 55s off of my Heresies to try, maybe I just might purchase a k401 I dont know how much different they sound but it might get me close enough. If I like it I can sell some drivers I have to finish the project.

Some say they sound better, since they don't "ring". If you like to experiment, maybe also try the 511B horn and University SA-HF driver; much more like the original Klipschorns...

I tried the 511b I did not care for it, as a matter of fact I still have one sitting in my basement.

Hi Nick. I'd be happy to help you out if I can. I have a spare La Scala with K-400 (metal), and a 55M. I could remove them from the cabinet without a whole lot of trouble. The two together aren't light though, wonder what shipping would be (?). I may be wrong, someone correct me if I am, but I remember thinking Klipsch would sell the fiberglass version for around $70.00 Let me know. dwillie.

Hi Nick. I'd be happy to help you out if I can. I have a spare La Scala with K-400 (metal), and a 55M. I could remove them from the cabinet without a whole lot of trouble. The two together aren't light though, wonder what shipping would be (?). I may be wrong, someone correct me if I am, but I remember thinking Klipsch would sell the fiberglass version for around $70.00 Let me know. dwillie.

Thanks man, I wouldn't need the driver I have one I can take off of my one of my Heresies. I did email Klipsch and will see what they say about selling the 401. If the price isn't bad I might go that route. I will let you know.

After thinking it through today, I have a target I set a while back and doing this would not be it. I think once I get the DSPmini I have been after, all I have to do is pick another EV horn and give it the full try out. Need to stay focused on my goals here, doing this wouldn't. Thanks to all interested parties who have been willing to help.

An inspiring thread - after ever so many years I gave the K400 a try this afternoon. I admit I was pleasantly surprised - I'd say in my current room the horn produces a sound that has the right amount of "balls" - sorry for the expression. Electric guitars have a nice metallic touch and John Coltrane has some nice bite on his live at Newport album.

I should add that I am currently listening with my modded Wright 3.5 monos which sound really quite smooth. I think I'll stay with that horn for a while.

Wolfram

"I really don't get all the hate towards K400."

There is a lot of room for improvement there.

If a man is on foot, a Yugo starts to look good to him.

A bigger throat sounds a lot better, as does a bigger mouth. (but now you have a different horn, like the K260). I still have a half dozen K400 horns left from the 70s, I must have purchased about three dozen at the time.

Having experienced at least a few horns I'd certainly not say that the K400 is the horn, but I am wondering why did P.W. use it? I know that he toyed around with components until he finally found the formular for a steady output of Khorns. Was his choice basically a financial one? I was surprised to find out that the K400 was a Klipsch product and not made by an outside supplier - didn't know that before watching the video taken inside the Klipsch museum.

Wolfram