Auto Turntable from SETI's Blog

Mallette

I've been able to spend some quality time lately browsing setit's awesome blog. This was, I think, from about 2010 and he asked if anyone had one of these. As he doesn't post comments, I don't know if anyone responded, but I am doing so here. Yes, I had one in the late 60s and still have it. It is this one, though the one I have was OEM'd for Allstate (Monkey Wards).

Sound was better than anything else you could get in a car at the time. Arm was spring loaded, and played the disc upside down, if you can imagine that. The changer looked, and in fact was, a standard 45 RPM stacker modified to drop the discs FROM the turntable into a tray when played, rather than the reverse. You'd just open the door, stick in a stack, and push them up. I believe you could do about 13. That's a far cry from the 2 hours they claim in this ad and I really don't know what they are on about there...

I suspect this thing would be restorable for a vintage car. It would be awesome in a custom SS convertible or T-Bird.

Dave

post-9494-13819860801716_thumb.jpg

I've been able to spend some quality time lately browsing setit's awesome blog. This was, I think, from about 2010 and he asked if anyone had one of these. As he doesn't post comments, I don't know if anyone responded, but I am doing so here. Yes, I had one in the late 60s and still have it. It is this one, though the one I have was OEM'd for Allstate (Monkey Wards).

Sound was better than anything else you could get in a car at the time. Arm was spring loaded, and played the disc upside down, if you can imagine that. The changer looked, and in fact was, a standard 45 RPM stacker modified to drop the discs FROM the turntable into a tray when played, rather than the reverse. You'd just open the door, stick in a stack, and push them up. I believe you could do about 13. That's a far cry from the 2 hours they claim in this ad and I really don't know what they are on about there...

I suspect this thing would be restorable for a vintage car. It would be awesome in a custom SS convertible or T-Bird.

Dave

Thanks!

Wow. The comments should be wide open. If I have time I go through and add comments to the actual posts. I get a surprising amount of email and comments which is cool but hard to keep up with. Via the blog I've been invited to hear some really amazing stuff. Getting to hear a mono Western Electric system was the best so far. Getting to talk to extreme diy guys has also been a plus.

A friend of mine in high school had a 45 changer in his car. Ifyou hit a bump in the road, the tone arm would fall away from the disc. Pretty cool! I an't remember the car or the model, but if I were to email him, I have no doubt he would remember. We graduated HS in '67... [8-)]

Bruce

Next time I am in the attic I'll see if I can dig mine up and put up some pictures. Might hunt down some customizing groups and see if I can seel it or pass it on. I really think it would make a great customization awesome.

Dave

That is so cool and it has to be extremely rare.

I believe the big Chryslers from the mid 50's to early 60's had these. 8 track cassette killed it since it wouldn't skip when you hit a bump.

Yep, those were stereo...but they didn't sound remotely as good. As to bumps, we lived on an umpaved street and I was constantly amazed at how big a bump it took, and then it didn't skip but just broke for a moment then landed right back in the same groove.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seti,

I've meant to mention this a number of times! I truly do enjoy your blog you sure find some great blasts from the past! I even sent my apprentice to your website to watch the militarty training video a while back...

Cheers Craig

Thank you very much. The articles like that and the most recent are because I'm trying to learn the basics myself so I can work on my own amplifiers or build some kits without seeing the electric blue jesus. The vintage educational stuff is great and its not like that stuff changes.

Next time I am in the attic I'll see if I can dig mine up and put up some pictures. Might hunt down some customizing groups and see if I can seel it or pass it on. I really think it would make a great customization awesome.

Dave

if you ever dig it out and want to get rid of it, i may be interested, it'd be a neat oddity. i don't know if it would actually get much use, but it'd be right at home in just about any of my cars.